London to Sydney on Recumbent Bikes 2005/6

Old May 10th 05, 12:55 PM
Nasz

Default London to Sydney on Recumbent Bikes 2005/6

In a moment of bravery / rashness / madness my girlfriend Sedef and I
have decided to go for a bike ride.....to the other side of the world!

On 31 July 2005 Sunday, we will be setting off from Trafalgar Square to
start our journey from London to Sydney. Our goal is to complete the
trip in one year and raise =A350,000 for Cancer Research UK and BBC
Children In Need - =A32 for every km on the way. We will cycle through 3
continents and 14 countries on our recumbent bikes (or 'bents', as they
are affectionately known by owners). No trains, no buses, no hitching,
no support vehicles. Only us...four wheels, strong determination...and
the horizon!

You can find more details on our trip, the route, preparations, and a
diary on our website at www.nutsonbents.com. Our trip is entirely
self-funded and every penny we raise will go to our charities.
Sponsorships for equipment we will be using during the trip would
therefore be very welcome - a full list is available on the site. Also
please take a moment to visit the Charities page if you wish to make a
donation. Please dig deep and give generously, and feel free to forward
this on to others and/or to the officer in charge of your company's
charity relations.

Finally you may want to save Saturday, 23rd July in your diaries for
our farewell party - details closer to the time!=20

Kind regards,
=20
Nic

Old May 13th 05, 02:46 AM
jonson brent

Greetings everyone! I've always wanted to do an amazing
bicycle tour. Of course, that would cost some serious
money. But wait! Why of course you should pay for it.
Why? Because I'm me and you're stupid. Oh, I mean to say
that my personal adventure is completely for CHARITY! Yah!

BTW, I'll even use a lot of the gear I already have and
actually earned money for and paid for. I'm not so low
as to expect to get all new stuff to keep from my fun trip.
Remember now--CHARITY CHARITY CHARITY

P.S. Now you may find it odd that someone bumming around for
months joy cycling actually had a real job and earned and paid for their
own cycling gear but don't worry about it--CHARITY CHARITY CHARITY
Old May 13th 05, 11:50 AM
Nasz

Thats a bit harsh!

We've invested =A35000 each in getting this organised as well as the
issues of giving up established jobs and sorting out the mortgage in
our absence!

Any help on top of that is what we are hoping for - and it's for
charity! This isn't a trip to shops that we're doing. This is
25000kms - and kit will not necessarily last that long!

Old June 8th 05, 03:36 AM

We've invested £5000 each in getting this organised as well as the
issues of giving up established jobs and sorting out the mortgage in
our absence!

Hmmmm, if your motive was charitable, couldn't you have just donated
the £5000 outright? Then you would not have had to worry about
"...giving up established jobs and sorting out the mortgage..."
as though you had no choice nor solely doing this for personal
enjoyment.

Just my opinion, but if somebody wants to go on a fun adventure
trip, I think that they should just do so and not claim it
is a charitable endeavor that others (as well as taxpayers) should
help finance.
Old June 8th 05, 04:59 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message ...
We've invested £5000 each in getting this organised as well as the
issues of giving up established jobs and sorting out the mortgage in
our absence!

Hmmmm, if your motive was charitable, couldn't you have just donated
the £5000 outright? Then you would not have had to worry about
"...giving up established jobs and sorting out the mortgage..."
as though you had no choice nor solely doing this for personal
enjoyment.

Just my opinion, but if somebody wants to go on a fun adventure
trip, I think that they should just do so and not claim it
is a charitable endeavor that others (as well as taxpayers) should
help finance.

I am with you there Bobleft. I have done many week long organized group bike
tours, but never once have I done one that was for the purpose of raising
money for a charity, no matter what. Why contaminate bike riding with
do-goodism? No, I ride for the fun of it and sometimes for the hell of it,
but I never ride to do good. I leave that to the nut cases.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 10th 05, 08:56 PM
db.

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

They try this on Ebay all the time.
They send you a rubber check that would(if it was good) take forever to
clear, but they'd want you to send them the difference to them with a
registered check, hopefully before it clears. Not very nice people.

db.