Ken Kifer's death -- manslaughter

Old November 21st 04, 08:12 PM
Frank Krygowski

Hunrobe wrote:

Exactly correct. Sentencing in a criminal case is always a balancing act that
must consider all kinds of factors. If I interpreted the rather poorly written
article ... correctly the defendant received a *total* sentence of 20 years on
two separate convictions. Without knowing the individual sentences on those
separate charges criticizing or supporting the decision is pointless at best.

Hmmm. I think criticizing the decision can be valuable.

As Bev said in a later post, "another reason for punishment is as a
deterrent to others who might commit similar offenses."

The news article may have been badly written, and we may not have enough
information to understand the details of the sentencing, but we have as
much information as the next habitual drunkard who reads that article.

If we get the impression the sentence was light, that drunkard is likely
to get the same impression. As Bev says, he's likely to think "Hey,
odds are good I won't get caught, and even if I do, no big deal." Not
much deterrence there.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 21st 04, 08:39 PM
Badger

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:12:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Hunrobe wrote:

[...]

This is where I object to the attitude of the family, asking for a lesser
sentence, if I read that correctly. Where's the deterrence? What's to say
that b/c of the family having him let out sooner that he doesn't go out and
kill again? Where's the responsibility?

-B
(yes, the 'deterrence effect' is often debated)

Old November 21st 04, 09:00 PM
Roy Zipris

The Real Bev wrote

Two years in jail is no "slap on the wrist." And with all due respect,
to the extent that you appear to want a harsher punishment for this
"crime against all of us," you do not speak for me. --Roy Zipris
Old November 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Hunrobe

Badger

wrote:
Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Hunrobe wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that many are jumping to conclusions based on a very poorly
written article. I'll withdraw that comment if upon rereading the article
anyone here can answer a few straightforward questions.
1- What sentence did the judge impose on the manslaughter conviction?
2- What sentence was imposed for the DUI conviction?
3- What will occur if, after his release from prison, Ken's killer violates the
terms of his probation? (I have to retract part of my earlier post- Alabama
statutes use the terms probation and parole almost but not quite
interchangeably.)
As I read the article and the applicable Alabama statutes, the answers *appear*
to be:
1- No more than 15 years.
2- Five years.
3- He would likely be incarcerated for 13 more years.
but how many people reading that article either know the Alabama statutes or,
like me, are willing to spend the time to look them up?

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old November 22nd 04, 02:40 AM
Dan Daniel

On 22 Nov 2004 01:30:31 GMT, (Hunrobe) wrote:

[...]

Ok, thanks for some facts. Personally, I think that the difficult part
is the phrase, What will occur if... Ken's killer violates the terms
of his probation?'

Far too often, it seems that a violation of probation isn't considered
serious enough to reincarcerate unless it is as bad as the initial
offense. In this case, meaning someone else hit and/or killed.

If I remember, you are a police officer, yes? What is your experience
with parole/probation violators? Would a DUI, no accident, no injury,
lead to him being back in jail, immediately, no questions, no appeal?
Old November 22nd 04, 03:28 AM
Mike Kruger

Hunrobe wrote:

It seems to me that many are jumping to conclusions based

on a very
poorly written article.

Amen. I posted that article because I thought it would be of
interest to many here (it is a "news"group after all), but
it is probably impossible to parse that article an
unambiguous manner.

On Ken's website, there is this note from Riin Gill. Riin is
more clear:

"Update: over a year later, the case over Ken's murder
finally went to trial. Jimmy Don Rodgers pleaded guilty and
was sentenced to 20 years. Neither Ken's son, sister, nor
brother wanted him to be punished as revenge, but were
concerned that he might kill someone else if he were
released. He may possibly be released in a year under very
strict probation conditions, but if he fails any condition
he will return to prison for the rest of his sentence."
http://www.kenkifer.com/death.htm#update

Old November 22nd 04, 03:47 AM
Tom Keats

In article 1101094042.kTj9dF4C3uq6zpkA2UIwPA@teranews,
"Mike Kruger" writes:

On Ken's website, there is this note from Riin Gill. Riin is
more clear:

"Update: over a year later, the case over Ken's murder
finally went to trial. Jimmy Don Rodgers pleaded guilty and
was sentenced to 20 years. Neither Ken's son, sister, nor
brother wanted him to be punished as revenge, but were
concerned that he might kill someone else if he were
released. He may possibly be released in a year under very
strict probation conditions, but if he fails any condition

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he will return to prison for the rest of his sentence."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

I think that's fair. I also think since Rodgers demonstrated
such wanton disregard for human life, his strict probation
conditions should include his being ruled off the road in
motor vehicles for the rest of his life. I hope that's the case.

regards,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
Todd Kuzma

Shortly after Ken's death, I explored his website in greater detail than
I had before. I rediscovered Thoreau and enjoyed Ken's own writing.
Ken's death has drawn attention to his writing and his view of the
world. It's refreshing to visit the site, and I hope it remains as a
tribute to Ken.

Todd Kuzma
Old November 22nd 04, 05:42 AM
Hunrobe

"Mike Kruger"

wrote:
Amen. I posted that article because I thought it would be of
interest to many here (it is a "news"group after all), but
it is probably impossible to parse that article an
unambiguous manner.

On Ken's website, there is this note from Riin Gill. Riin is
more clear:

"Update: over a year later, the case over Ken's murder
finally went to trial. Jimmy Don Rodgers pleaded guilty and
was sentenced to 20 years. Neither Ken's son, sister, nor
brother wanted him to be punished as revenge, but were
concerned that he might kill someone else if he were
released. He may possibly be released in a year under very
strict probation conditions, but if he fails any condition
he will return to prison for the rest of his sentence."
http://www.kenkifer.com/death.htm#update

Mike-
I hope no one misinterpreted my criticism of the author's sloppy reporting as a
criticism of you for posting the story. That was not my intent. All I was
trying to get across to those complaining about the "leniency" of the sentence
handed down is that after reading that article, I couldn't even be sure what
the sentence *was*.
The best guess I could hazard after reading the applicable Alabama statutes and
engaging in some extrapolation is that Rodgers received 15 years on the
manslaughter conviction and 5 for the DUI, sentences to be served concurrently.
The $13k had to be the result of a restitution hearing that Alabama law
specifies. (As an aside, restitution is not the same as a damage award. Alabama
law still allows for damages in a civil suit although it's awfully hard to get
blood from a stone.)
All that though is really incidental. What's important is that over a year
after his untimely death Ken is still remembered respectfully by people he
never met. That says more for the man he was than any sentence the courts could
impose on his killer.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Death on ride today Michael Warner Australia 13 August 3rd 04 07:04 AM
Manslaughter charges JohnB UK 6 May 11th 04 11:49 AM
justice for death of a fellow two wheeler DH Recumbent Biking 89 January 6th 04 03:55 PM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM
lose the name "Death Ride"? Dan Rides 4 July 17th 03 04:55 PM