Mudguards

Old January 13th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Mudguards

Twas a serious question.... I am not a troll.

Testosterone or W.H.Y aside, my concern is for the recipient of the spray.
One of the main constituents of the towpath gloop is "dog waste", as dogs
are frequently (more rather than less frequently) emptied by inconsiderate
owners whilst out for a nice walk in the country.

Anyone who has heard of toxocara canis will want to protect their eyesight.
Mudguards do this......or goggles... which brings me back to the macho bit,
"I dont need mudguards because"....testos etc.

Paul

Old January 13th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

anjuna wrote:
Twas a serious question.... I am not a troll.

Testosterone or W.H.Y aside, my concern is for the recipient of the
spray. One of the main constituents of the towpath gloop is "dog
waste", as dogs are frequently (more rather than less frequently)
emptied by inconsiderate owners whilst out for a nice walk in the
country.

Anyone who has heard of toxocara canis will want to protect their
eyesight. Mudguards do this......or goggles... which brings me back
to the macho bit, "I dont need mudguards because"....testos etc.

Paul

Don't rely on goggles. Toxocara enters the body through the digestive
system, so don't lick your lips.
--

Martin Bulmer

Old January 14th 06, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Martin Bulmer wrote on Friday 13 January 2006 23:34:

Don't rely on goggles. Toxocara enters the body through the digestive
system, so don't lick your lips.

Better still, get your parents to get you exposed to dogs in the first
months of your life - you then become immune to the parasite without
coming to harm.
--
Regards
Alex
Old January 14th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"anjuna" wrote in message
Twas a serious question.... I am not a troll.

Testosterone or W.H.Y aside, my concern is for the recipient of the spray.
One of the main constituents of the towpath gloop is "dog waste", as dogs
are frequently (more rather than less frequently) emptied by inconsiderate
owners whilst out for a nice walk in the country.

Don't remind me!
As I was cycling through Cambourne (no, this isn't a Jethro joke) I felt
something thud onto my back, I reached round to see what it was and at the
same moment my brain flashed "Warning! Dog ****!" I touched it. Uggh!
--
Pete

Old January 14th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter B wrote:

"anjuna" wrote in message

Twas a serious question.... I am not a troll.

Testosterone or W.H.Y aside, my concern is for the recipient of the spray.
One of the main constituents of the towpath gloop is "dog waste", as dogs
are frequently (more rather than less frequently) emptied by inconsiderate
owners whilst out for a nice walk in the country.

Don't remind me!
As I was cycling through Cambourne (no, this isn't a Jethro joke) I felt
something thud onto my back, I reached round to see what it was and at the
same moment my brain flashed "Warning! Dog ****!" I touched it. Uggh!

I've ridden through human **** (a "New Age Traveller" encampment by
Coate roundabout, East Swindon) and believe me, it smells much worse.
Old January 16th 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Alex Potter wrote:
Martin Bulmer wrote on Friday 13 January 2006 23:34:

Don't rely on goggles. Toxocara enters the body through the digestive
system, so don't lick your lips.

Better still, get your parents to get you exposed to dogs in the first
months of your life - you then become immune to the parasite without
coming to harm.

You sure? It can be passed on in utero, can't it?
--

Martin Bulmer

Old January 18th 06, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default OT: canine parasites (Was Mudguards)

Martin Bulmer wrote on Monday 16 January 2006 00:09:

Alex Potter wrote:
Martin Bulmer wrote on Friday 13 January 2006 23:34:

Don't rely on goggles. Toxocara enters the body through the
digestive system, so don't lick your lips.

Better still, get your parents to get you exposed to dogs in the
first months of your life - you then become immune to the parasite
without coming to harm.

You sure? It can be passed on in utero, can't it?

I'm not *sure*; I'm neither vet nor medic, just a former dog owner. I've
never heard of that happening, and an extensive google failed to turn
up anything suggesting that humans could be so infected...

On the other hand, dogs may be infected in utero.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=762
or http://tinyurl.com/7eo4q

"Most puppies are born infected with T. canis."

Which emphasises the need for dog breeders and owners to have a strict
anti-parasite regime.