cycle parks in Norwich?

Old October 13th 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default cycle parks in Norwich?

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Oct%202006% 2021%3A42%3A12%3A823

--

~~

SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

~~
to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

Old October 13th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jan Wysocki

On 2006-10-13, wafflycat wrote:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Oct%202006% 2021%3A42%3A12%3A823

Which starts:
"A green scheme to get more people on their bikes and help to stamp out
crime is being mooted for Norfolk.

The pioneering plan would see a network of hi-tech cycle parks being
established at key locations in and around Norwich, and the network
could spread to other parts of the county if successful.

Cyclists could leave their bikes in complete safety - using smart
card-operated security systems instead of old-fashioned locks and chains
- at places like The Forum, Norwich railway station, the UEA and the
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. After London, Norwich would be
only the second city to have a managed cycle park hub." ....and so on

Well, one cheer for now! Two when it's finished and three when it has
run for ten years _after_ winning awards.

I find it ironic that this _Norwich based_ company is already running schemes
elsewhere. As someone who loves riding in and around Norwich I really
hope that this gets approval.. I shall be writing to my councillor.

The cycle hire scheme sounds good. Let's hope they will also be able
to reinstate the late lamented secure cycle parking at the station.
Maybe this modern initiative will also shame the council into removing
the irritating 'heritage' cycle stands.

--
Jan

AT tarasowka DOT org
Old October 13th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

wafflycat wrote:
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Oct%202006% 2021%3A42%3A12%3A823

Ah the differences in the English language on the other side of the
pond. I was wondering if a cycle park would have different kinds of
trails amongthe trees and flower beds.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old October 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article .com
John Kane wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Oct%202006% 2021%3A42%3A12%3A823

Ah the differences in the English language on the other side of the
pond. I was wondering if a cycle park would have different kinds of
trails amongthe trees and flower beds.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I thought the same, and I'm definitely on the right side of the pond.
After all, a skate park isn't somewhere to leave your skates.
Old October 14th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
In article .com
John Kane wrote:

wafflycat wrote:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/...e&category=New
s&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20 Oct%202006%2021%3A42%3A12%
3A823

Ah the differences in the English language on the other side of the
pond. I was wondering if a cycle park would have different kinds of
trails amongthe trees and flower beds.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I thought the same, and I'm definitely on the right side of the pond.
After all, a skate park isn't somewhere to leave your skates.

But drivers in North America don't lot their cars in a car lot. I wonder how
the verb 'to park' originated.

David Lloyd,
The pub is responsible for my opinions.

Old October 14th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Rob Morley wrote on 14/10/2006 02:52 +0100:

I thought the same, and I'm definitely on the right side of the pond.
After all, a skate park isn't somewhere to leave your skates.

But a car park isn't where you go for scenic drives either.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 14th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJ Ray

Default cycle parks in Norwich? (and Finsbury Park London)

"wafflycat"
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED12%20Oct%202006% 2021%3A42%3A12%3A823

Cyclists could leave their bikes in complete safety - using smart
card-operated security systems instead of old-fashioned locks and
chains - at places like The Forum, Norwich railway station, the
UEA and the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. After London,
Norwich would be only the second city to have a managed cycle park hub.

Anyone got experience of Sekura-Byk or its Finsbury Park facility?

I'm a bit fearful that this may mean further neglect and decline for the
plentiful parking hoops in the Norwich Lanes area (fairly near the Forum)
and at the UEA while promoting pay-to-park fortresses.

--
MJR/slef

Old October 14th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

David Lloyd wrote on 14/10/2006 08:44 +0100:

But drivers in North America don't lot their cars in a car lot. I wonder how
the verb 'to park' originated.

According to the OED it seems to have started in 1531 when it was first
used as a verb meaning to lodge (park) troops in an encampment. In 1683
park (n) was a military term for a place where artillery, vehicles and
stores were kept. By 1816 it was used as "parking cannons" in a park.
The non-military use first arose in the US in 1846 as in parking wagons.
In 1916 it was first used in the sense of "automobile park". Other
uses such as put aside for a time and to sit down arose through the 1900's

Its origins were from the French "parquer"; to put (animals) in an
enclosure (1380), to fortify (a camp) (1470), to establish oneself in a
strategic position (1488), to set up camp (1495).]

You learn a lot in urc ;-)

Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 14th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns

I've never seen the Finsbury Park facility,
but the report I heard was that it is confusing and not obvious how it
works. The doors are secured using touchpads which you need a smartcard to
open. Many people try to use their Oyster cards, which don't work.
You need a separate card, which you buy from the bike park place.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/project...-parking.shtml

Old October 14th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Tony Raven
') wrote:

David Lloyd wrote on 14/10/2006 08:44 +0100:

But drivers in North America don't lot their cars in a car lot. I wonder
how the verb 'to park' originated.

According to the OED it seems to have started in 1531 when it was first
used as a verb meaning to lodge (park) troops in an encampment. In 1683
park (n) was a military term for a place where artillery, vehicles and
stores were kept. By 1816 it was used as "parking cannons" in a park.
The non-military use first arose in the US in 1846 as in parking wagons.
In 1916 it was first used in the sense of "automobile park". Other
uses such as put aside for a time and to sit down arose through the
1900's

Its origins were from the French "parquer"; to put (animals) in an
enclosure (1380), to fortify (a camp) (1470), to establish oneself in a
strategic position (1488), to set up camp (1495).]

'Parquet' flooring comes from the same root; a park in the sense of a space
reserved for a specific purpose. The area of a law court reserved for the
judges was in medieval England (and perhaps other places) laid with a
particular pattern of flooring to distinguish it from the places hoi
polloi could sit or stand, and that area was the 'parquet'.

You learn a lot in urc ;-)

Indeed.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.

Why do cyclists not use the cycle path? Tony Raven UK 30 August 13th 06 12:22 AM
Effect of Cycle Lanes on Cyclist Road Space Tony Raven UK 96 January 4th 06 01:02 AM
WTD: Cycle Items Robert UK 8 April 17th 05 10:47 AM
The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes bikerider7 UK 141 May 31st 04 04:05 PM
Helmets Vivian UK 460 April 28th 04 09:38 PM