Park Tool Master Link Pliers for chains

Old May 8th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Park Tool Master Link Pliers for chains

On May 8, 1:15*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
In article , Andre Jute wrote:

Park Tool Master Link Pliers for chains
Anyone bought one or used one?

I borrowed this tool a couple weeks ago after a fellow club rider heard my
tale of being unable to open the link on my KMC chain and mentioned he had
the unfamiliar product.

Alas for me, when I used the tool I somehow managed to shear the pin from one
half of the master link. *Guess it was just a freak thing, but it forced me to
purchase a replacement Connex link at about 20% of the cost of a new chain. *
So I now have a silver link in an otherwise gold chain.

It certainly seems like a reaonable product, as these fancy links don't always
open as readily as you'd think they would.

Really, the need for a tool for the tool-less chain is stupid.
I can still break a dirty chain with a pin tool before I can locate
the snap link. Chains have gotten way too fussy. -- Jay Beattie.
Old May 8th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Lou Holtman wrote:

I can't imagine that anyone need pliers to open a Connex link.

In my case, it was a KMC link. After I put on the Connex (the shop didn't
sell the KMC equivalent), I found it easy to remove without the tool a couple
days later when I needed to shorten that chain. Who knows how easy it will be
in six months?

Given the modestly-priced tool, I'd be inclined to purchase one just to
minimize greasy hands.

Art

Old May 9th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In my case, it was a KMC link. After I put on the Connex (the shop didn't
sell the KMC equivalent), I found it easy to remove without the tool a couple
days later when I needed to shorten that chain. Who knows how easy it will be
in six months?
Given the modestly-priced tool, I'd be inclined to purchase one just to
minimize greasy hands.

I have no opinion on the tool but after you separate the
snaplink, you're left with a dangling dirty chain in your
fingers at any rate. Unless I missed something -?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 9th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2009-05-08, AMuzi wrote:

I have no opinion on the tool but after you separate the
snaplink, you're left with a dangling dirty chain in your
fingers at any rate. Unless I missed something -?

That's what gloves are for...

--

John )