Triple change from 42 ring to 39 ring

Old February 28th 05, 06:31 PM
Gary

Default Triple change from 42 ring to 39 ring

Okay, I have an Ultegra triple set up on my Orbea Starship. It has the
standard 52,42,30 chain ring group. I wish I had the DuraAce 52,39,30.
Can I simply swap the middle rings or do I have to get a DuraAce FD to
handle the difference? How about front shifters? Ultegra okay?
Gary
Old February 28th 05, 06:44 PM
Ken

Gary wrote in news:7sJUd.16617$ds.3619
@okepread07:
Okay, I have an Ultegra triple set up on my Orbea Starship. It has the
standard 52,42,30 chain ring group. I wish I had the DuraAce 52,39,30.
Can I simply swap the middle rings or do I have to get a DuraAce FD to
handle the difference? How about front shifters? Ultegra okay?

Ultegra should be OK if you are careful about adjustment. DA may work a
little better.
Old February 28th 05, 06:48 PM
S o r n i

Gary wrote:
Okay, I have an Ultegra triple set up on my Orbea Starship. It has the
standard 52,42,30 chain ring group. I wish I had the DuraAce 52,39,30.
Can I simply swap the middle rings or do I have to get a DuraAce FD to
handle the difference? How about front shifters? Ultegra okay?

Someone else can answer about merely swapping the rings, but FWIW my Ultegra
triple FD handles my DA triple crankset (which replaced a nearly new Ultegra
triple) just fine.

Ultegra shifter works perfectly well, too.

Bill "had money burning a hole in my pocket, but not THAT much" S.

Old March 1st 05, 12:38 AM
Jeff Starr

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:31:31 -0600, Gary
wrote:

Okay, I have an Ultegra triple set up on my Orbea Starship. It has the
standard 52,42,30 chain ring group. I wish I had the DuraAce 52,39,30.
Can I simply swap the middle rings or do I have to get a DuraAce FD to
handle the difference? How about front shifters? Ultegra okay?
Gary

Hi, not that it really matters, but the DA triple crankset comes with
a 53-39-30 chainrings.
Your shifters are fine and FD should work. Give it a try.

Life is Good!
Jeff