RR: The Raven

Old November 7th 05, 05:20 AM
MattB

Default RR: The Raven

I've noticed how they watch me. I've seen them out of the corner of my
eye. They even yell to me and then they're off for the next boulder or
fence post to watch my approach.

Friday I was riding through Hartman's on the way to bigger things on the
other side and noticed one hanging around. Then it was gone. A little
later when I had just finished a difficult loose climb and I was going
to take a break on the windy point I had just ascended. Something caught
my eye.

Then I see a shadow pass over me and the raven is back. He's just
hovering above the hilltop, seemingly only and arm's length away. I
watched as he made micro adjustments into the strong wind to maintain
his position. I almost think we made eye contact. He repeats what they
always tell me "Caw.".

Then I remember I have the camera in my pocket and grab it and start
shooting away. He continued to hover, slowly crossing over me, offering
the occasional vocalization and then lands on a rock. On the rock he
faces the wind and opens his beak to it, periodically turning an eye
toward me.

http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02108%20(2).JPG
http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02109%20(2).JPG
http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02110%20(2).JPG
http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02111%20(2).JPG
http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02112%20(2).JPG
http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2005-11-04%20(The%20Raven)/DSC02116%20(2).JPG

or

http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02108%20(2).JPG
http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02109%20(2).JPG
http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02110%20(2).JPG
http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02111%20(2).JPG
http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02112%20(2).JPG
http://tinyurl.com/bokjv/DSC02116%20(2).JPG

Then he spreads his wings into the wind, slowly lifts off and then peels
away and disappears into the hills.

I've asked a few friends and the ravens don't pay much attention to
them. So why me? I haven't been feeding them. Do I look like potential
carrion? Are they trying to tell me something? Whatever is it it always
seems to be delivered in a non-threatening or un-alarmed tone. Weird.

Matt

Old November 7th 05, 05:26 AM
Bill Sornson

Default The Raven

MattB wrote:
[...]

Ask those questions...nevermore. (IOW, "nice" )

Bill "saw a rare osprey recently" S.

Old November 7th 05, 07:10 AM
Ride-A-Lot

GeeDubb wrote:

I had a shot of a raven at Hartman's as well but due to a hd crash I
lost it and many others. I do have a couple of great shots of a Harris
hawk giving me the eye as well as some nice fall snow shots in SW CO.

http://tinyurl.com/cgj2o

Thanks to Ride-a-lot for hosting these.

Gary

Pics look great and you figured out the upload!

See you tomorrow at SM. My camcorder bit the big one (one to many
OTB's), so I had to buy a new one today. Unfortunately the correct AV
cable won't be here until tomorrow afternoon. So video won't happen
until Sedona.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old November 8th 05, 03:02 AM
GeeDubb

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:

I had a shot of a raven at Hartman's as well but due to a hd crash I lost
it and many others. I do have a couple of great shots of a Harris hawk
giving me the eye as well as some nice fall snow shots in SW CO.

http://tinyurl.com/cgj2o

Thanks to Ride-a-lot for hosting these.

Gary

Pics look great and you figured out the upload!

See you tomorrow at SM. My camcorder bit the big one (one to many OTB's),
so I had to buy a new one today. Unfortunately the correct AV cable won't
be here until tomorrow afternoon. So video won't happen until Sedona.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Not a problem. I don't camera well anyway!

Gary

Old November 12th 05, 05:55 PM
Zilla

Did you have the number 666 tattooed on you, er,
since childbirth?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old November 15th 05, 08:44 PM
MattB

Zilla wrote:
Did you have the number 666 tattooed on you, er,
since childbirth?

Not on any body parts I can see anyway.

FWIW, there is probably as much positive folklore imagery associated
with the Raven as negative.

Being a "glass half full" kind of guy, I'm going with the good stuff as
it relates to me. Unless I find that mark...

Matt

RR: The Raven MattB Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 05 04:25 AM
Thorn Ravens Peter Amey UK 14 March 21st 05 09:50 AM
Cannondale Raven (used).......pros & cons? Jay Adair Mountain Biking 5 August 12th 04 09:07 PM
Best source of spokes Tony Raven UK 24 August 3rd 04 10:11 AM
a few questions about single speed mtbs... Rory UK 8 August 2nd 04 11:11 AM