My new Thorn raven Tour

Old November 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

Default My new Thorn raven Tour

I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
pic no 1

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...ourA_small.JPG

I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

Drove back home to South Yorkshire on Monday morning and I have now done
about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both day and night
conditions.
this in my catless kitchen ( ie no room to swing one)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...ourb_small.JPG

and by flash in the lobby of my flat underneath my VP2

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...ourE_small.JPG
http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...RavenTourD.JPG

I think that SJS Cycles have mounted my "butterfly handlebars" upside down
but I shall alter them this w/e.

But the "feel" of the velo is absolutely just right. We seem to have slotted
together from square one and local hills this morning had the feel like when
I return from my 5 to 7 week annual tour -- ie v easy -- and I am carrying
the normal winter over indulgence weight.

The pics may need clicking on to see properly! Not used to giving link on
here -- sorry for any difficulties encountered.

Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old November 8th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Pinky" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
but it includes a whinge)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

Old November 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Pinky wrote:

Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
but it includes a whinge)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

Very nice, I am jealous.

Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when
they're writing on a subject I know something about." (Keith F. Lynch)
Old November 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:43:55 GMT, "Pinky"
wrote:

Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
but it includes a whinge)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.

If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
the front light bulb to 2.4w.
Old November 8th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"Pinky" wrote in message
.uk...
I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS
Cycles ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
pic no 1

I hope you have zillions of miles of happy pedalling on your new steed.

Cheers, helen s

Old November 9th 06, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

wrote:

Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website
(sorry
but it includes a whinge)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.

If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
the front light bulb to 2.4w.

Tom

Yes tks for that.

I was considering doing it and wondered why they upgraded the front light so
that the hub dyno wouldn't run the rear light. I thought a downgrade might
help.

I have already mounted an additional "see me" flashing LED front light on
the handle bars, and a Halfords bulb horn.

I have only a rear rack mounted since I shall be towing a trailer on my
camping tours and just carry a light pannier for tools and wet weather
gear -- although, since I intend to head for Italy on my routine start date
of 19 May, I hope to have warmer weather all the way through my circular
tour next year

Old November 9th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot

Pinky wrote:
I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

snip

Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

sniff sniff That looks *suspiciously* like a Rohloff.
Old November 9th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

evil snipping

I have now done about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both
day and night conditions.
this in my catless kitchen

Cripes, 50 miles in a kitchen that small is good going

Thanks for the kitchen shots - My Grandmother had matching plates and
dishes one of your bowls on the left daydreams of beautiful, beautiful
cooking.

p.s. four of the photos on your Santiago de Compostela page
url:www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%203.htm link to files on your
hard drive. Finally I work out why you call yourself Pinky!
Old November 9th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Pinky wrote:

I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

Funny you should say that, I was toodling home from work earlier in the
week, and I just noticed how totally comfortable my Thorn Raven is.
Despite the cold and dark, I felt I could ride all night. I've
regular swept bars, fitted with Ergon grips + bar-ends, and additional
inboard bar-ends as well, which is very comfortable (I never liked
those German-tourist bars you have)..
Magura HS-33s are also a nice addition to the thorn for low
maintenance, effective stopping.
Also, I've been meaning to get a chainguard, like the Fahrradbau Noehl
one, but I email him and he refused to let me have one unless I agreed
to change the chainring & sprocket at the same time.

Old November 9th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message

If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
the front light bulb to 2.4w.

Even if you use an LED rear lamp?

(I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
draw)

cheers,
clive

RR: The Raven MattB Mountain Biking 6 November 15th 05 08:44 PM
RR: The Raven MattB Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 05 04:25 AM
FS: Thorn Me'n'U2 Just zis Guy, you know? UK 10 June 22nd 05 01:11 PM
Cannondale Raven (used).......pros & cons? Jay Adair Mountain Biking 5 August 12th 04 09:07 PM