Purring on the overrun

Old April 10th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Purring on the overrun

From my front wheel comes a brief purring sound when I stop pedaling
as I prepare to stop. It lasts for less than a second. What should i
be looking for?

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20HUMOUR.html
Old April 10th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
From my front wheel comes a brief purring sound when I stop pedaling
as I prepare to stop. It lasts for less than a second. What should i
be looking for?

Resonance in the hub dynamo?

I have observed resonance in many electric motors (dynamo in reverse) as
they "coast" to a stop from normal operating speed after the power is
switched off.

Old April 12th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Tom Sherman wrote:

Resonance in the hub dynamo?

I have observed resonance in many electric motors (dynamo in reverse) as
they "coast" to a stop from normal operating speed after the power is
switched off.

Never noticed that with my SON, although on my Thorn (skinny-ish steel
forks) there's a perceptible vibration when the light is on. I use the
same wheel on my Frankendale, and there's no vibration at all due to the
massive Pepperoni alu forks.