Better quality back rim

Old April 14th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Better quality back rim

aka Tom Bates wrote:
I keep breaking spokes on my back rim. I checked with my local bicycle
shop, and the owner said he could replace all the back spokes with
something called "alpine" spokes which are less likely to break. I
carry my groceries on my bike, and put on around five thosand miles a
year. I use a "mountain style" bike, 26". I asked him if he could just
order a rim with those spokes already installed, but he said no. Does
anyone know of a place to order a rim already made. I have always
heard that it takes a real expert to build a back wheel, and I am sure
how much of an expert he is.

Any back wheel with an adequate spoke count and rim section will work if
built from decent quality parts AND properly built. Find a proper wheel
builder (several frequent these forums) or learn how to properly tension
and true machine built wheels (often the most economical choice).

Would a 700CC bicycle be a better choice for how I ride. It would seem
longer spokes would be more likely to break.

The ISO 559-mm (26-inch MTB) wheel will be stronger than the ISO 622-mm
(700C) wheel for a given spoke count, spoke type and rim section.