How old before it's considered vintage? Or Antique?

Old June 20th 14, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default How old before it's considered vintage? Or Antique?

On 6/20/2014 10:56 AM, Dan O wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 1:51:42 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

As I said earlier, no longer in production (by that I meant,
and as alluded to by someone else, when replacement parts
needed to maintain it are no longer being produced).

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

~IMO, pre- drop bars.

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

It might. It depends.

Pre drop bars? That was only a short few years.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-cont...TERBOROUGH.jpg

Not so much different from 1890 to last week, including the
moustache and colored tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 20th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Friday, June 20, 2014 9:15:09 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/20/2014 10:56 AM, Dan O wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 1:51:42 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

~IMO, pre- drop bars.

snip

Pre drop bars? That was only a short few years.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-cont...TERBOROUGH.jpg

Oh, my - you've got me there! :-)

Not so much different from 1890 to last week, including the
moustache and colored tires.

[Cue the Twilight Zone theme... ] :-)
Old June 20th 14, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 6/20/2014 11:56 AM, Dan O wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 1:51:42 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

As I said earlier, no longer in production (by that I meant,
and as alluded to by someone else, when replacement parts
needed to maintain it are no longer being produced).

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

~IMO, pre- drop bars.

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

It might. It depends.

Well it's vintage 2001... lol
Old June 20th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Not so much different from 1890 to last week, including the

moustache and colored tires.

____+____++_____x____

less crap on the road !
Old June 21st 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, June 16, 2014 9:51:42 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

On the other hand, here's a serious case for a car reference, as old car collectors have a coherent and comprehensible set of rules. The British for instance distinguish between Veteran, Vintage and Classic. American have different names (I like Antique!) but the idea is the same. Even hotrodders have rules: for a long time (possibly still) a hot rod was a modified car that had started life as a production car with a flat windscreen, which too is a dating method.

Bicyclists could learn a lesson here. Essentially these methods of determining what is worth keeping shortcuts endless arguments. If it was made before a certain date, and it has survived, it is an antique or a vintage model or a classic or whatever. The world wars make useful endstops to periods.

Andre Jute
Old June 21st 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:38:52 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

snip

" ... what is worth keeping... "

snip
Old June 26th 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 20, 2014 12:15:09 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

izza mustache bar ?

here's L. Busby...his stone is missing

http://goo.gl/zxPnkC