cycling in the park

Old June 30th 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default cycling in the park

http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

No mention of what bicycle he rode or any helmet details.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 30th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

No mention of what bicycle he rode or any helmet details.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Not really something to make fun of.

Perhaps a constant noise making device should be on bicycles used on trails where animals or humans might be would be a good idea? I've seen a number of crashes on the MUP (rail0trail) around here where a fast riding bicyclist went around a blind turn and hit someone.

Cheers
Old July 1st 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:14:04 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

No mention of what bicycle he rode or any helmet details.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Not really something to make fun of.

Perhaps a constant noise making device should be on bicycles used on trails where animals or humans might be would be a good idea? I've seen a number of crashes on the MUP (rail0trail) around here where a fast riding bicyclist went around a blind turn and hit someone.

Cheers

No reason that couldn't work. A simple air compressor built into a
wheel hub could furnish energy to a fog horn type instrument mounted
on the handle bars. With the super bright flashing white light mounted
on the other side it should make the average biker visible to all and
sundry.

The front hub cold be a little generator for the lights and the rear
could contain the air pump.

If a roll cage and safety harness were added one could have an "Ultra
Safe Bicycle (USB)", or perhaps the Super Safe Bicycle (SSB).

Why, it could be marketed as "The Bike that Protects you from all
Hazards" (BPH) And, if the roll cage was made of some sort of expanded
metal it would even be proof against bears and lions.

Perhaps, even, The Miracle Bike (TMB)?)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 1st 16, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

You mean like this? http://www.mtbbell.com/

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old July 1st 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-06-30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

Perhaps a constant noise making device should be on bicycles used
on trails where animals or humans might be would be a good idea?

You mean like this? http://www.mtbbell.com/

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

No. I mean something that would constantly emit noise so that critters and trail users could here you coming.

Cheers
Old July 1st 16, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 21:07:04 -0500, Gregory Sutter

On 2016-06-30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

Perhaps a constant noise making device should be on bicycles used
on trails where animals or humans might be would be a good idea?

I used to attach a Bicycle Playing Card to frame and let the card(s)
make noise as they pass the spokes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=playing+card+on+bicycle+wheel&tbm=isch
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-bike-sound-like-a-motorcycle/
To the bear, you're a dangerous noisy machine. To everyone else,
you're an 8 year old brat.

You mean like this? http://www.mtbbell.com/

But does it work on a bear?

Of course, there's an app for everything:
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/138789
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scarebear-trail-companion/id336785189?mt=8
Now, all we need is a bear and a suicidal volunteer for testing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 1st 16, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-06-30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/30/mountain-...national-park/

Perhaps a constant noise making device should be on bicycles used
on trails where animals or humans might be would be a good idea?

You mean like this? http://www.mtbbell.com/

No. I mean something that would constantly emit noise so that
critters and trail users could here you coming.

Then you must mean "yes".

Jeff, the playing card idea is really good, if you can stand to
listen to yourself. Cheap, easy, doesn't take handlebar space...

Old July 1st 16, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

On 2016-06-30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I'm glad that someone else admits to clipping a playing card to the
front forks with a clothespin to make a noise "like a motorcycle".

I thought I was the only one left :-)

But re bears: I think that the article specified a Grizzly Bear and if
so they are omnivores, i.e. they may view a human as an addition to
the menu. Slow, soft and a little bit crunchy :-)

But perhaps more likely is that there was a Cub involved. Grizzly's
hibernate and the females emerge in April or early May, with, perhaps,
a new born, or even a 1 year old cub. Female Grizzles are extremely
protective of their cubs and it is not unusual for a cub to be "under
his mother's paw", as it were, until the age of two years.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 1st 16, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 2016-06-30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Playing cards went away once we discovered that a balloon
tied to a stay made a sound much closer to a Harley Twin(in
our 8 year old imaginations).

Old July 1st 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 14:24:33 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm glad that someone else admits to clipping a playing card to the
front forks with a clothespin to make a noise "like a motorcycle".
I thought I was the only one left :-)

My palatial office is across the street from some low rent apartment
buildings. Lots of young kids with bicycles riding around a dead end
street. About 2 years ago, someone started doing the playing card
noise maker thing. Soon, there were maybe ten bicyclists making
enough noise to drive me insane. One noise maker I could probably
tolerate, but not ten. Fortunately, they gave up as the playing cards
wore out, and the parent apparently hid their supply of playing cards.

But re bears: I think that the article specified a Grizzly Bear and if
so they are omnivores, i.e. they may view a human as an addition to
the menu. Slow, soft and a little bit crunchy :-)

But perhaps more likely is that there was a Cub involved. Grizzly's
hibernate and the females emerge in April or early May, with, perhaps,
a new born, or even a 1 year old cub. Female Grizzles are extremely
protective of their cubs and it is not unusual for a cub to be "under
his mother's paw", as it were, until the age of two years.

The circumstances of the incident were not terribly clear, but my
guess(tm) is that the cyclist somehow startled the bear, possibly with
a high speed downhill approach. Reacting on instinct, the bear
probably reacted instantly, which proved to be fatal. Just my guess.
The idea behind the noise maker (audible or ultrasonic) is to give the
bear some warning so that it is not startled.