No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

Old July 11th 16, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:44:04 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. wrote:
:On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 19:36:25 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
:wrote:

:On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:13:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
: On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
: On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
:
: snip
:
: The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.
:
: BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?
:
: Besides finding threaded rod with the proper diameter and thread pitch,
: you also have to ensure that it isn't just made from mild steel, like
: the threaded rod normally sold at hardware stores. McMaster sells grade
: 8 and grade 12.9. $65.52 for one meter. Then you have to be able to cut
: such hard steel.
:
: There are times when using commodity hardware on a bicycle makes sense,
: and times when it makes no sense.
:
:SS fasteners from the hardware store have served me well, and I was toying with buying some generic 6806 bearings instead of "BB30" bearings since I already have the clips and washers. I whimped out and bought some Enduro magical bicycle specific BB30 bearings. They were on sale over at Western Bikeworks, so I didn't get fleeced too badly.
:

:I think it highly unlikely that the people that sell "bicycle
:bearings" actually make "bicycle bearings" and if you get the
:specifications, "BB30" isn't a bearing specification, they are widely
:available from reputable manufacturers.

:My experiences have been that buying the same identical bearing from a
:"bearing shop" was always cheaper than buying it from a shop selling a
:"whatever" that incorporated said bearing. Usually substantially :-)

I went to buy some bearings from a bearing shop, and got told to buy
some of the numbers from the chevy dealer. Same part, 1/10 the price.

Interesting. My first experience was buying rear wheel bearings for an
International pickup. At the International dealer they were something
like $10.00 each and the 'Bearing, Belt and Bearing" shop, in the same
city they were $2.00. As the International had two bearings per side
that was $40.00 versus $8.00

I've had the same experience with Kenworth trucks and National oil
well drilling rigs :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 11th 16, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

::wrote:
:
::On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:13:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
:: On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
:: On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
::
:: snip
::
[...]

It's the volume. The bearing was one the shop doesn't stock, but the
chevy dealer does, and chevy bought much of the production of them.
(As I recall, one of the differential bearings for a chevy pickup).
I've had same experience for a number of specialized parts. STuff
that's widely used is usually cheaper.

:I've had the same experience with Kenworth trucks and National oil
:well drilling rigs :-)

--
sig 93
Old July 12th 16, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

::wrote:
:
[...]

Very likely. My uncle was chief electrician in a small bearing plant
in my home town and I remember him telling abut a run they did for
Ford, I think, that were special to only whatever device Ford was
building at the time.

Old July 12th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Writing 'cartridge bearings' of.
Old July 13th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

unpopular size .....ordering a die is here ordering a set.

see page 4

Old July 13th 16, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 7:45:49 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
You live like a pig, don't you troll?
That's how it looks by your pictures.

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
From: DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH avagadro7 gmail.com

well no, there are specific searches and classic searches.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomic_rank

axle 26 tpi ..... if available the 26 tpi you need would be in there somewhere.

but, maybe not. Always surprises looking for an as yet unfound item, thought or concept, photograph ....... auto parts location practices.....excellent example of stuff thrown over the landscape without thought to .....bicycle axle 3/8ths inch 26 tpi

that is 3/8th's INCH yes ? in Lower Thames Upper Foulmouth ....

no, I'm rich handsome fast intelligent ...something like James Bond.

industrial photography is an occasional hobby for educational porpoises

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...A7tGhc2x9EZjjF
Old July 13th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

no, I'm rich handsome fast intelligent ...something like James Bond.

industrial photography is an occasional hobby for educational porpoises

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...A7tGhc2x9EZjjF

///////////////////////////

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...ahysgURioGy732

We were hunted by 26 CHP motorcycle cadets in formation as the photo was taken. I was NOT speeding.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...KspuPyePXzSyLX

a gold mine: “they moved to town”

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...WQbLl5B-33Nj5z

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Uh0TsBs13UKFe5

famous rustler

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...rAZv1s07BdGg9P

famous bird

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...yloxy3LKabL3oS

Vermont cross country skiing

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...OhGZbtbWaewOdN

I asked that buffalo to pose..he did…I asked for a secod pose n he pawed the ground n turned his back.

Driving down the road, I stopped to interview

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...8F6Ozlz6sKwFiF

the head Buffalo n escort barged down off the nearby fields thru the woods to our space to interview me who had just spoken to one of the buffalo.

The Surlyman walked over to the Head Buffalo ….whoa Dude…saved by a Ranger speeding down the road to save Surly’s butt by sliding between Surly and HB.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...gfEm02MP_gs-iQ

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...U9iLMbUjh7j4hp

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...gpRI4Wn7jqenaC

more

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...2KwcZJPVKpXnoG

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Y4vXN1E9MrODID

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...07RXkBmtSx5vFH

unprocessed

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...5odinQW9SBbnms

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...7kBAarqUd3lLx1

from NY ? at the lake of the great landslide ….moving good uphill. First encounter of a cell phone GPS.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...eqgjqSr983BR2q

back to Canada across Haro Strait from San Juan Island

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...A3kH5KWFZd6x7x

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...V29L7fItQHYcC2

iconic….

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...IdV2QrMvs9mEE8

THE VIEW

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...FB4tLLqs49xjWX

the ploy…..fly out to WA ….cab or busso to the dealer who sells a vintage 90 pt bike for a coupla 100. Load bike tour San Juans
..
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...foUcNV2Kb73IX_

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q..._GfcaK-gxD36nj

my Redline Trekker at the Deschutes RR Trail. The Seagate is in the cargo …maybe roll out the Deschutes Tour

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...9TLPPVn9lX_AYg

night rider's gear

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...n2ASaWuYgfE9ao