soft shocks, adjustable?

Old July 18th 03, 01:52 AM
TJ Poseno

Default soft shocks, adjustable?

Is there any way to get my POS wal mart dual suspension (single pivot)
shock to take more? If I come off curbing I can bottom it out no
problem, I cranked up my preload spring, but it isnt enough, it is
still too soft. Can i buy stiffer srpings, I have a 750LB/in i only
weigh 150lbs. But the shock is at a near 45 degree angle. Please help.
Old July 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Michael Dart

"TJ Poseno" wrote in message
om...
Is there any way to get my POS wal mart dual suspension (single pivot)
shock to take more? If I come off curbing I can bottom it out no
problem, I cranked up my preload spring, but it isnt enough, it is
still too soft. Can i buy stiffer srpings, I have a 750LB/in i only
weigh 150lbs. But the shock is at a near 45 degree angle. Please help.

You might be able to find a Mountain Speed spring in a heavier weight
ordered at your LBS. You should find two numbers on the coil, you already
found one, the 750lb/in and X 2.0 for example after it shows the total
travel of the spring in inches. Be careful cranking down on the preload as
you will find the coils of the spring crashing into each other when the
shock is compressed. Which could severely damage the shock or the frame.
Shock angle doesn't have anything to do with spring size just the leverage
ratio of the suspension.

Mike

Old July 18th 03, 06:01 PM
TJ Poseno

You might be able to find a Mountain Speed spring in a heavier weight
ordered at your LBS. You should find two numbers on the coil, you already
found one, the 750lb/in and X 2.0 for example after it shows the total
travel of the spring in inches. Be careful cranking down on the preload as
you will find the coils of the spring crashing into each other when the
shock is compressed. Which could severely damage the shock or the frame.
Shock angle doesn't have anything to do with spring size just the leverage
ratio of the suspension.

Mike

I have had it up to when the springs hit. Its not pretty. So i can
goto the LBS and get new springs. What would they go for.
Old July 18th 03, 07:51 PM
Michael Dart

"TJ Poseno" wrote in message
om...

You might be able to find a Mountain Speed spring in a heavier weight
ordered at your LBS. You should find two numbers on the coil, you

already
found one, the 750lb/in and X 2.0 for example after it shows the total
travel of the spring in inches. Be careful cranking down on the preload

as
you will find the coils of the spring crashing into each other when the
shock is compressed. Which could severely damage the shock or the

frame.
Shock angle doesn't have anything to do with spring size just the

leverage
ratio of the suspension.

Mike

I have had it up to when the springs hit. Its not pretty. So i can
goto the LBS and get new springs. What would they go for.

Somewhere around $35-45 bucks.

Mike

Old July 19th 03, 03:17 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I have had it up to when the springs hit. Its not pretty. So i can
goto the LBS and get new springs. What would they go for.

Don't bother if your bike is crap in the first place.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 19th 03, 12:12 PM
TJ Poseno

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message .com...
I have had it up to when the springs hit. Its not pretty. So i can
goto the LBS and get new springs. What would they go for.

Don't bother if your bike is crap in the first place.

Yeah, the bike was $100 new, im going to maybe see if I can find some
other way to stiffen it up, or maybe modify the swingarm. Because if i
go in the driveway and pedal hard for say a wheelie, the rear sinks
almost to the bottoming out point. Any ideas on how to stiffen it for
cheao, since the bike really isnt worth it.

Yesterday i pulled out the bolts that hold the shock to the frame, the
were both bent to the point i had to use a hammer to get them out.
Old July 19th 03, 05:30 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Yesterday i pulled out the bolts that hold the shock to the frame, the
were both bent to the point i had to use a hammer to get them out.

Judging by the way you ride, you deserve better. It seems that you may be
short on cash, so you might want to invest in a low-end dual suspension that
costs around $500-600. (Religious "must spend no less than $1500 on a DS"
people shut up) When shopping retail for a bike, the price definitely
reflects the quality.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 20th 03, 12:45 AM
TJ Poseno

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message m...
Yesterday i pulled out the bolts that hold the shock to the frame, the
were both bent to the point i had to use a hammer to get them out.

Judging by the way you ride, you deserve better. It seems that you may be
short on cash, so you might want to invest in a low-end dual suspension that
costs around $500-600. (Religious "must spend no less than $1500 on a DS"
people shut up) When shopping retail for a bike, the price definitely
reflects the quality.

thats what i am planning on, i have been eyeing the Mongoose Wing
Elite, with disc brakes, i want disk brakes very badly. Even if there
mechanical, theyre better than walmart v brakes!
Old July 20th 03, 05:12 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

thats what i am planning on, i have been eyeing the Mongoose Wing
Elite, with disc brakes, i want disk brakes very badly. Even if there
mechanical, theyre better than walmart v brakes!

About those disc brakes... Beware.

I wanted discs really badly too a while back, so when I built my old bike up
with a new disc system, I thought I had it made. But I had 500 piece of
**** miles before the pads disappeared. Plus, there was no auto-adjustment
for pad wear so I would have to add stupid shims underneath the pads every
100 miles. I couldn't even do stoppies with those brakes!!! I sold them for
$2. Rotors and all.

I now run V-brakes on my MTB. They are SO much better than the discs I had,
and they've scared the **** out of some of my experienced riding friends
who've ridden it. Given good rims and good pad material, V-brakes are
comparable to good discs.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 20th 03, 08:54 PM
Chris B.

On 19 Jul 2003 16:45:20 -0700, (TJ Poseno) wrote:

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message m...
Yesterday i pulled out the bolts that hold the shock to the frame, the
were both bent to the point i had to use a hammer to get them out.

Judging by the way you ride, you deserve better. It seems that you may be
short on cash, so you might want to invest in a low-end dual suspension that
costs around $500-600. (Religious "must spend no less than $1500 on a DS"
people shut up) When shopping retail for a bike, the price definitely
reflects the quality.

thats what i am planning on, i have been eyeing the Mongoose Wing
Elite, with disc brakes, i want disk brakes very badly. Even if there
mechanical, theyre better than walmart v brakes!

Just like linear pull (V-) brakes, disc brakes can be both really good
or downright terrible. In fact lousy discs will probably need more
fiddling than lousy V-brakes. I'd strongly suggest getting a Shimano
Deore or Avid Single Digit 3 or 5 linear pull brake for your current
bike - at least for the front - and perhaps a nicer set of levers too
(Avid Speed Dials offer adjustment for a decent entry level price
though I like the ergonomics of my Shimano LX's better).

I'm going to ignore Phil here and suggest that if you are going to
spring for a new bike in the $500 price range that you get a hardtail
or possibly a used full suspension (the wear complicates matters).
It's not a question of snobbery on my part (my hardtail cost about
$500 in good used parts), it's just that it really is better to have a
good/great fork on a good frame than a full suspension with so-so
shocks loaded with the so-so performing goodies that have to be spec'd
on the bike in order for it to meet that price point.

--

Chris Bird

road pedals with adjustable float and release tension ? Chris Esposito General 3 July 13th 04 08:41 PM
F/S Rock Shocks $10. DaveH Off Road 0 January 3rd 04 09:49 PM
Pumps to fit shocks and forks ? Gwood Mountain Biking 15 October 28th 03 10:45 PM
Intro & Querry About Front Shocks M Brundage Mountain Biking 25 October 28th 03 05:39 AM
adjustable forks - Rockshox etc Jack Mountain Biking 3 July 14th 03 12:49 AM