soft shocks, adjustable?

Old July 20th 03, 10:12 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default soft shocks, adjustable?

I'm going to ignore Phil here and suggest that if you are going to
spring for a new bike in the $500 price range that you get a hardtail
or possibly a used full suspension (the wear complicates matters).
It's not a question of snobbery on my part (my hardtail cost about
$500 in good used parts), it's just that it really is better to have a
good/great fork on a good frame than a full suspension with so-so
shocks loaded with the so-so performing goodies that have to be spec'd
on the bike in order for it to meet that price point.

I recommended a low-end dual-susp because it appears that the OP was VERY
tight on money, due both to the bike being ridden and the fact that the OP
was looking for a tweak on his crapo bike to ride on urban assaults. A
hardtail wouldn't be appropriate, and an expensive DS might be too valuable
to huck around concrete curbs and metal signposts.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 21st 03, 06:35 AM
Chris B.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:12:55 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

I'm going to ignore Phil here and suggest that if you are going to
spring for a new bike in the $500 price range that you get a hardtail
or possibly a used full suspension (the wear complicates matters).
It's not a question of snobbery on my part (my hardtail cost about
$500 in good used parts), it's just that it really is better to have a
good/great fork on a good frame than a full suspension with so-so
shocks loaded with the so-so performing goodies that have to be spec'd
on the bike in order for it to meet that price point.

I recommended a low-end dual-susp because it appears that the OP was VERY
tight on money, due both to the bike being ridden and the fact that the OP
was looking for a tweak on his crapo bike to ride on urban assaults.

But doesn't he already have a low end dual suspension bike and isnt
that what's causing him problems in the first place? We must be
imaging entirely different scenarios here. If he is throwing the
thing around then buying a new or used dual slalom/dirt jump frame
(rather than a 3.5 lb XC frame) and sticking as large a tire as
possible (pumped to a reasonable pressure) on it would allow him to
shell out plenty of abuse. If money is super tight he can get dig up
a department store rigid frame and save his money for a decent fork, I
can't imagine the fork that would come on a $500 FS would cope with
BMX style riding anyway. With the exception of the goofball riding
his 8" travel downhill bike off a curb, proper technique will have to
be learned regardless.

A hardtail wouldn't be appropriate, and an expensive DS might be too valuable
to huck around concrete curbs and metal signposts.

No hardtail would be appropriate to replace a frame with a
nonadjustable shock which nearly bottoms out when he wheelies and
which has bent bolts where the shock mounts to the frame? Instead he
should use a 2 or 3 inch travel $500 full suspension bike (equipped
with discs of course!) which will have what quality of shock
absorber???

--

Chris Bird
Old July 21st 03, 02:16 PM
TJ Poseno

Heres what ive got:
I have a Roadmaster steel dual suspension with a junk fornt fork, and
junk rear shock, I ride it every once in a while when going off road,
mostly trails and some hardcore with friends, its held up ok. 39LBS

I have a huffy aluminum hardtail with a ok front fork. Thats my daily
rider, its got slicks in the middle and knobs on the outside, so its
mostly road. 34LBS

And a skinny tired road bike, mostly for long rides with no trails.

I want the wing elite for a much more reliable bike. I assume its more
reliable then a wal-mart bike. Something i can ride road (for
training. sinice its DS and knobbies) and for trail riding.

If i did get teh bike, i might invest in a rear shock with lockouts.
Its basicly a biek i can buy for cheap, with a fairly nice frame, that
in the future i can slowly buy better parts.

anyone knwo what the weight is on that bike
Old July 21st 03, 05:21 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:

[...]

Decent quality isn't the issue here. Well it doesn't SEEM to be the issue
to me. I think that the price really is the limiting factor at this point.
It seems that TJ wants another DS to replace the current DS. And he let us
know that he's got a HT too.

TJ, if you have the money, by all means go out and buy a DECENT bike from a
bike shop. They will have quality much higher than what you've ridden so
far, and you will take it and not look back.

If you don't have the money, then by all means, keep your stable current
with a new DS and your HT and RB. Just be careful. But don't settle for
Walmart bikes for your entire life. I was in your position just a year ago.
I decided to build up my first non-walmart bike out of parts from eBay.
When I was done, I said, "Holy ****, I can't keep the front end down because
it's so light! It spins a bit faster and it's much plusher and I can do a
few more tricks on it now that it's lighter."

Think about it. We all urge you not to dump money into superstore crap,
when it can be used towards something that's pretty damn good. Ask a local
bike shop if you can put a full-value deposit (in the form of a personal
check) down while you ride it for a day. Most won't let you do that, but at
least a ride in the parking lot will let you know what's available.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 22nd 03, 12:48 AM
TJ Poseno

The wal mart bikes i have now will definatly be the last. The road
bike is a mid range (well i think so anyway) road bike from a while
ago, so its plently reliable, so i will keep that. But i will be
really happy when I finally get a real bike.

road pedals with adjustable float and release tension ? Chris Esposito General 3 July 13th 04 08:41 PM
F/S Rock Shocks $10. DaveH Off Road 0 January 3rd 04 09:49 PM
Pumps to fit shocks and forks ? Gwood Mountain Biking 15 October 28th 03 10:45 PM
Intro & Querry About Front Shocks M Brundage Mountain Biking 25 October 28th 03 05:39 AM
adjustable forks - Rockshox etc Jack Mountain Biking 3 July 14th 03 12:49 AM