Opinions on Road Bike Saddles

Old April 6th 04, 01:00 AM
Mark

Default Opinions on Road Bike Saddles

I've been using a seat that came with my Bianchi Campione, which is
the Selle Italia Tri-Max, and I must say this thing is murder! Sure
looks pretty though, as the yellow accents go nice with the yellow
frame on my bike.

Anyhow, I've been seriously kicking around the idea of upgrading
mighty soon, as my poor butt (Mostly my two butt bones) just cannot
bear the punishment from this saddle any longer.

I've thought of perhaps the Selle Flight Gel, as this would also
nicely compliment the bike too, but then I got to thinking.... "Why
should I make "looks" really be THE most important factor on buying a
new-better Saddle"? I think I'm initially totally missing the point
here, and need to think a bit more about this choice.

I can remember back many years ago, on how the Brooks Saddle on my ole
Motobecane Le Champion never hurt me like this.

I've read some reviews on saddles, and certainly the evaluations are
quite mixed on virtually all of the Selle's. I guess it's true that no
one saddle, no matter what its features, high cost, or attractivness
can be said to be suitable for every rider, we are all different.

Still I'd like to hear a few opinions from those who have over the
years tried many of the saddles, both the newfangled types, and the
good ole Brooks. Perhaps you folks can help me make a sound choice.
Price is not a problem, yet I do prefer a traditional Road Bike
Saddle, not a hybrid-MTB. Thanks, Mark
Old April 6th 04, 01:13 AM
Dave Thompson

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I've been using a seat that came with my Bianchi Campione, which is
the Selle Italia Tri-Max, and I must say this thing is murder! snip

snip Anyhow, I've been seriously kicking around the idea of upgrading
mighty soon,snip

snipI can remember back many years ago, on how the Brooks Saddle on my
ole
Motobecane Le Champion never hurt me like this.snip

Why not another Brooks? They're not terribly expensive and can be very
comfortable on the loooong rides.

http://www.permaco.com/cgi-local/Sof...c10+1086813479

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/standardsaddles.html

Old April 6th 04, 01:29 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Anyhow, I've been seriously kicking around the idea of upgrading
mighty soon, as my poor butt (Mostly my two butt bones) just cannot
bear the punishment from this saddle any longer.

First thing I'd do is find out how far apart my butt bones were spaced.

Second thing I'd to is take a ruler and measure the usable width of saddles that
I was interested in. If you turn a moulded plastic saddle over, you'll
immediately understand "usable...".

Measuring the WTB Speed V that's hanging on my garage wall, I'd guess that the
average butt-bone width is somewhere between 2.25 and 2.75 inches.

If this were for a hard-tail bike, I'd also consider a sus post.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Benjamin Lewis

wrote:

I've been using a seat that came with my Bianchi Campione, which is
the Selle Italia Tri-Max, and I must say this thing is murder! Sure
looks pretty though, as the yellow accents go nice with the yellow
frame on my bike.

Anyhow, I've been seriously kicking around the idea of upgrading
mighty soon, as my poor butt (Mostly my two butt bones) just cannot
bear the punishment from this saddle any longer.

I've thought of perhaps the Selle Flight Gel, as this would also
nicely compliment the bike too, but then I got to thinking.... "Why
should I make "looks" really be THE most important factor on buying a
new-better Saddle"? I think I'm initially totally missing the point
here, and need to think a bit more about this choice.

I can remember back many years ago, on how the Brooks Saddle on my ole
Motobecane Le Champion never hurt me like this.

I can't think of any good reason not to go for the Brooks, since you
already know it works for you -- unless you like leaving your bike
unprotected in the rain frequently. I can't speak for everyone, but I can
ride for more than 24 hours on my Brooks with no saddle-induced discomfort.

I'd choose it first for looks too, but I have a bit of a "retro-chic bias".

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Old April 6th 04, 01:52 AM
David Reuteler

Mark wrote:
Still I'd like to hear a few opinions from those who have over the
years tried many of the saddles, both the newfangled types, and the
good ole Brooks. Perhaps you folks can help me make a sound choice.
Price is not a problem, yet I do prefer a traditional Road Bike
Saddle, not a hybrid-MTB. Thanks, Mark

i've tried a bunch and always come back to the selle italia ti flite.
actually i just tried a brooks swift and got my ass handed to me. egads ..
i just don't get it. i'm tall but narrow and apparently the ti flite just
fits. i no longer argue .. i just use it.

it's also nice that my preferred saddle is only $50.
--
david reuteler

Old April 6th 04, 02:23 AM
psycholist

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Check out a Koobi PRS saddle. It's a racing saddle. It actually comes out
of the Selle Italia factory. But it has the split down the middle to help
the privates and, most importantly, it has these suspension elastomers in
the rail system. There are three different sets of elastomers with three
different degrees of shock resistance. I've got two of these saddles (I
have two nice road bikes) and they REALLY WORK! About a year ago I moved to
an area where the roads are all very rough tar and gravel. I'm a very high
mileage rider and I was using a Selle Italia Flite. I thought I was going
to have to start cutting back my mileage 'cuz the pounding and vibration
from these roads was killing me. Then I got the Koobi PRS and the
difference was like night and day. The thing really works and the weight
penalty is minimal. And it's not some funky-looking thing. It's a little
different, but no big deal.

Check it out at www.koobi.com.

Bob C.

Old April 6th 04, 02:25 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Mark- I've been using a seat that came with my Bianchi Campione, which is
the Selle Italia Tri-Max, and I must say this thing is murder! BRBR
I think I'm initially totally missing the point
here, and need to think a bit more about this choice.
BRBR

have ya had a bike fit? Most uncomfortable saddles are related to fit, no
saddle design.

If ya have had a fit, look at the Terry 'Fly'...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 6th 04, 04:06 PM
Matt O'Toole

Mark wrote:

[...]

I may be the wrong person to comment on this, because I'm really not terribly
picky about saddles. Some drive me nuts, but I can get used to most of them.
However, pros spend more time on their bikes than most people, so you might look
at what they use. There seem to be more Selle Italia Turbomatics and Flites in
the pro peloton than anything else. These are probably my two favorites as
well, if I have favorites.

Matt O.

Old April 6th 04, 04:09 PM
Matt O'Toole

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

have ya had a bike fit? Most uncomfortable saddles are related to
fit, no saddle design.

Good point.

If ya have had a fit, look at the Terry 'Fly'...

I have one of those. It's pretty good, but I think I'd prefer a Flite. I've
thought about switching. However, that's just my personal preference. The
Terry is very well reviewed, so it's probably a good *bet.*

Matt O.

Old April 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Ivar Hesselager

These are the three important qualities for a saddle: Fit, firm and
(slightly) flexible. A Brooks leather saddle is guarantied to fit your
individual anathomy and it gives you the firm and flexible support you need.
Surely you can find other saddles that will fit you - but a Brooks is sure
to do the job. I used my first Brooks (Colt) for 20 years. And a year ago I
bought my second Brooks - a Swift. In a month it was broken in and since
then it has supported me gently on numerous ultra long rides. It has
personality, it carries craft tradition, it's beautiful, and it gives you
lots of well deserved street credit among the connaiseurs.
Ivar

om...