Delineating areas of expertise: who's the king of the spillproof mug?

Old June 10th 14, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Delineating areas of expertise: who's the king of the spillproof mug?

BTW, this is TURN ONE. One of 2 road course turns in the area, the other in our front yard. The GT group starves here.

On the right you will see a BIKE PATH.

If you follow this amazing invention GooMpas. that path will travel abt 45 miles.

Frank would swoon.

Old June 10th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:23:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
BTW, this is TURN ONE. One of 2 road course turns in the area, the other in our front yard. The GT group starves here.

On the right you will see a BIKE PATH.

If you follow this amazing invention GooMpas. that path will travel abt 45 miles.

Frank would swoon.

duh duh duh

TURN OME

http://goo.gl/ykRCPj

Old June 10th 14, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Jeff says,
"There's a method to my madness, but if you remove the method, what's left is only madness."

Aha! I'm knew that if I read the forum a few years someone would speak sense and I would recognise something. Thanks!

Andre Jute
There are more philosophies than are dreamt of in thine universe, Horatio
Old June 10th 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 9, 2014 12:24:17 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 6/8/2014 5:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:

On Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:23:20 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

Gentlemen (and whichever ladies haven't yet given up on you):

If Scharfie's the world's maximum expert on cupholders on bicycles (Jesus, what modest ambitions that poor fellow has), and Krygo's the world's maximum expert on holding up legitimate traffic by riding stubbornly in the middle of the lane, can I be the world's maximum expert on cupholders on treadmills? Please.

Well, actually, my treadmill has two cupholders, which currently hold things like the remote control for the music on my gym Mac, the treadmill's security clip, an Adonit Jot for drawing on my iPad when I get bored with working while I walk, some silicon paintmovers for painting ditto in oils or acrylics, and so on, my phone so I can call my agent and upbraid him for being slack and sleeping while I exercise, and some unidentifiable matter that may be the earlobe of a pesky door-to-door salesman who won't be returning for it.

What I really need is a spillproof mug, like the spill proof brush-washer I already have. Any ideas (well, except taking the lane)?

Andre Jute

We don't want to hear from those who think that drinking coffee, not a healthy activity, is fundamentally incompatible with walking on a treadmill, a healthy activity. We passed that stage while you weren't looking. By now you should be used to people whispering behind your back.

My recommendation is to go as simple as possible -- because simple is washable. A glass liner or SS is better than plastic, IMO. Avoid complicated, spring-loaded, trap-door, screw on tops that cannot be thoroughly cleaned (and are not dishwasher safe). In fact, my favorite cup -- the one that imparts the least flavor and keeps coffee reasonably warm and is decent at preventing spills is a free cup I got from Ski magazine -- a stainless thermal cup with a simple, plastic press-on lid.

The Contigo gets good reviews, and I own a couple (cheap at Costco), but I have the old model with the complicated lid that does not open up for easy cleaning. The body is hand wash only, and for some reason, mine holds a coffee stench -- even though it is stainless. It actually smells like an old ash tray. I probably need to throw in some TSP or some of the coffee urn cleaner to see if I can get that out. But I worry that it will get trapped in the various non-removable O-rings and seals in the body of the cup that mate with the lid.

-- Jay Beattie.

I got a good mug for free at a recent trade show I went to. It just has

a simple flip open lid for hot beverages and it also came with another

lid with a built in straw for cold beverage.

It's this one: http://www.leedsworld.com/products/item/?item=1623-51

but I don't think that you can buy it anywhere as it's a promotional

product. Not insulated or vacuum.

Jay is right, simple is better. Though the old Contigo is not really

difficult to clean.

For vacuum bottles look at the Bubba brand which has a very simple lid

and is also very inexpensive.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bubba-24-oz-709-ml-Dual-Wall-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Hero-Bottle-in-Charcoal-Black-10454-CharBlack/204586516

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bubba-16-oz-473-ml-Dual-Wall-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Hero-Bottle-in-Gunmetal-Gray-6624-Gunmetal/204586518

These are widely sold, including at Walmart.

Always remember, "Experts Agree--Coffee is Good Food." Seriously though,

coffee has enormous health benefits and the idea that it's somehow bad

for your health is ludicrous unless you have some health issue that

precludes you from consuming caffeine. Coffee is an herbal beverage made

from the seed of the coffee plant. In fact, coffee is probably the

healthiest food that many people consume every day.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee/

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

coffee alkaloids eat holes in your assending colon's bottom wall
Old June 10th 14, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 09:24:17 -0700, sms
wrote:

For vacuum bottles look at the Bubba brand which has a very simple lid
and is also very inexpensive.

Vacuum bottles have changed recently. The current fashion is
combining vacuum thermal insulation with a phase change material to
stabilize the coffee temperature. Some are specifically designed for
optimum coffee temperatu
http://joeveo.com
http://txchnologist.com/post/71217359441/phase-change-mug-promises-to-keep-coffee-at-the-perfect
$35 to $45. I haven't tried one, yet.

More on phase change coffee temp stabilizers:
http://discovermagazine.com/2013/september/21-running-hot-and-cold-forever
http://www.puretemp.com/index.html
http://www.joulies.com/pages/frontpage

Seems odd that none of these include a way to measure or monitor the
coffee temperature. Perhaps a thermochromic drinking straw?
http://www.google.com/patents/US20110121094

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 11th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

I've seen temperature monitors on 12VDC coffee mugs.

Analog: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDB1W8
Digital: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY5CGO

Must only be used when in a bike lane, wearing a helmet, with a front
flashing light, on a steel-framed, non-compact geometry bicycle.
Old June 11th 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2014 9:14 AM, SMS wrote:

I've seen temperature monitors on 12VDC coffee mugs.

Analog: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDB1W8
Digital: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY5CGO

Must only be used when in a bike lane, wearing a helmet, with a front
flashing light, on a steel-framed, non-compact geometry bicycle.

So obviously not for trudging on treadmills.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

I missed those. Thanks. The analog flavor seems to be measuring the
temperature near the top of the cup, unless the probe is bent towards
the bottom of the cup. The digital version hopefully has the sensor
near the bottom of the cup. I like my dregs hot.

Must only be used when in a bike lane, wearing a helmet, with a front
flashing light, on a steel-framed, non-compact geometry bicycle.

I would think the analog thermometer coffee cup would go well on a
Steampunk bicycle (in brass of course):
http://1800recycling.com/2011/07/recycling-steampunk-bicycles
Steampunk coffee machines:
https://www.google.com/search?q=steampunk+coffee+machine&tbm=isch