Usenet providers

Old June 12th 14, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Usenet providers

On 6/11/2014 8:49 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:57:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/9/2014 7:31 PM, John B. wrote:

For quite a few years now I've been using Abasani and
eternal-September with no real problems. Occasional slow down's but
generally good service.

However, for about the past couple of weeks both sites have been
unavailable from, say 16:00 local time- until sometime after I go to
bed. In the morning they are available again, all bright eyed and
bushy tailed.

Now then, we are having a coup here...

Ooo, I missed that the first read. Wow! Yeah, that is something
to consider as a significantly possible cause of service disruption.

and I believe that some local
sites that supported one or the other of the two major groups that
were practically at war were shut down but I've not heard anything
official about foreign connections and while Agent is reporting that
it cannot connect to the server, I can be merrily downloading
something from an overseas site, so I don't think that is the problem.

Does anyone else use either of these sites and are you having problems
similar to mine.

Note that we are roughly a half a day different in clock time from the
U.S.

Eternal September seems fine here.

(last jab for now; I promise)

I kind of like the way you demand hard, quantifiable data for
something like the feel of riding a bike, but when it comes to
electronic data transmission, "seems fine" is good enough ;-)

Well, yeah.
Bicycles involve materials and physics, 'ride feel'
interfaces bicycle dynamics with our meatware but the Inter
Webs are more like an ouija board most days.

zen is acceptance.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 12th 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Phil W Lee:
I got round the problem by dumping my ISP in favour of a competent one
which had sufficient bandwidth.

How did you do that? Around here, there seem to be only two games in
town short of DSL: Verizon and ComCast.

I've got the first, and have no complaints... but I like to keep my
options open.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 13th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On 6/9/2014 7:31 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

But isn't that how you define it, in terms of how it effects you (or
me)? If you have to wait a bit it isn't that POS computer that you
are too cheap to replace, it's the Internet :-)

Or even more noticeable, any time a bicycle and an auto meet
aggressively the denizens here immediately claim it is the auto's
fault.
--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Old June 13th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 03:53:33 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. considered Wed, 11 Jun 2014 05:42:06
+0700 the perfect time to write:

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 19:57:48 -0400, John White
wrote:

In article ,
John B. wrote:

For quite a few years now I've been using Abasani and
eternal-September with no real problems. Occasional slow down's but
generally good service.

However, for about the past couple of weeks both sites have been
unavailable from, say 16:00 local time- until sometime after I go to
bed. In the morning they are available again, all bright eyed and
bushy tailed.

Now then, we are having a coup here and I believe that some local
sites that supported one or the other of the two major groups that
were practically at war were shut down but I've not heard anything
official about foreign connections and while Agent is reporting that
it cannot connect to the server, I can be merrily downloading
something from an overseas site, so I don't think that is the problem.

Does anyone else use either of these sites and are you having problems
similar to mine.

Note that we are roughly a half a day different in clock time from the
U.S.

--
Cheers,

Jphn B.

I use eternal-september from the US, and haven't seen any problems at
any time, including early to mid morning here.

Thanks to all that replied. So... if the Usenet provider isn't at
fault, the next step is my Internet provider... who does have a
history of actually furnishing less then advertised speeds.

You may also be the victim of over enthusiastic traffic management.

A former ISP of mine was taken over by a mass-market price driven one,
and their traffic (mis)management gave results similar to what you
have described.
The problem is all the binary newsgroups, which people use to exchange
music, video, software, and assorted smut, which accounts for a lot of
bandwidth. If the ISP hasn't done it's homework, it will tend to
simply de-prioritise ALL usenet traffic instead of just the binary
groups. And being price driven, they generally don't have either the
technical staff to work out how to get better granularity on their
prioritisation, or sufficient peering bandwidth for it to work anyway.
If you are lucky, they will be filtering on port number, and the news
provider will have an alternative port you can attach to which will be
immune.
If you are unlucky, they've just worked out which IP addresses are
news servers and are filtering on that.

So it's worth checking to see if there is an alternative port you can
use for fetching news from your servers, and if so, trying it.

I got round the problem by dumping my ISP in favour of a competent one
which had sufficient bandwidth.

All of the Internet providers here are advertising fantastic speeds.
The boy cancelled one contract and got a different one from another
company that promised even faster speeds.....

Actually at certain times of the day (probably when everyone else is
having supper, or drinks with his/her girl) they approach the
advertised speeds but the rest of the time it is less.

My boy has had the technicians over here, changing black boxes, making
excuses, and not much happens :-) Their latest excuse is that it is
the fiber optic cable that our Internet connects through, which
belongs to another company. I asked them how come it was much faster
during what I suspected was low use hours and they said that they'd
check more at the local server end :-)

There are only a limited number of providers here, and a limited
number of gateways in and out of the country.

However, after thinking about it does seem that the problem started
about the same time that school open which perhaps makes sense as the
little rascals are in school all day and the Internet seems normal.
then they come home between at say 1600 or 1700 and about the same
time my connection to eternal-September comes to a halt.
--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Old June 13th 14, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 6/9/2014 7:31 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

At least one of the denizens here routinely claims it's the rider's lack of
training that allows the car to flatten them.

--
duane
Old June 13th 14, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

makes sense as the

little rascals are in school all day and the Internet seems normal.

then they come home between at say 1600 or 1700 and about the same

time my connection to eternal-September comes to a halt.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cool. The coupers are sensitive to ongoing reality then. with internet activity.

this is good.

I have Verizon MiFi. Last year there were overload problems with snowbird traffic but ths year with unknown snowbird increase or decrease ? no slack in speeds but with dem gone the speed is utra.

vbcndfhy we had a blast of heat lighting thinking about that.

lotta birds doahn go for computer activity.

AS well as Goo's increasing control of my searching. Good in technical, evil in human. California coup in progress.

Old June 13th 14, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

At least one of the denizens here routinely claims it's the rider's lack of

training that allows the car to flatten them.

__ _ _ _ _ _ _

yeah ur asked to stop and look around.

Old June 13th 14, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:27:50 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

At least one of the denizens here routinely claims it's the rider's lack of
training that allows the car to flatten them.

I don't suppose you have any quotes in context?

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 14, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:33:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Dan O wrote:

snip

... demand hard, quantifiable data for
something like the feel of riding a bike, but when it comes to
electronic data transmission, "seems fine" is good enough ;-)

But isn't that how you define it, in terms of how it effects you (or
me)? If you have to wait a bit it isn't that POS computer that you
are too cheap to replace, it's the Internet :-)

Oh I say "seems" all the time - about all kinds of things. That
was my point: Frank (who said "seems fine" about his usenet. It's
pretty much a black box to him, so that's about the best he can
do. (Even his expert [and probably prominent] friend couldn't
get news working his Linux system. If that's his expert, what
does that make him?) I just thought it was funny since bicycling
is such an broad organic analog kind of thing whereas electronic
digital data processing is so very discrete. Granted, personal
computing systems are long past any hope of state control for
almost any mortal, but it's still a discrete domain, and *could*
be pretty precisely defined; not so bicycle riding.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.bicycles.tech/dan$20o$20blithe$20idiot

Old June 13th 14, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_10_]

On 13/06/2014 06:14, Phil W Lee wrote:

finish laying fibre and switch on the local cabinet, I'll be able to
upgrade at little cost from ADSL2+ (on which I get 1Mbit upstream and
16Mbit downstream, although if I was closer to the local exchange I
could theoretically get up to 20mbit down) to VDSL fibre to the
cabinet which means the only remaining copper component is from me to
the nearest street cabinet, with a speed increase to somewhere in the
10Mbit upstream 30Mbit downstream range (although it may jump straight
to VDSL2, which would give nearly twice those figures). This line
speed would be the same whichever ISP I chose, although some are more
restricted further upstream

Phil, I recently switch from ADSL2 (10Mb/0.1Mb) to FTTC and now get
40Mb/10Mb restricted by price choice. I find the downstream rate is
usually limited by the the remote service; I rarely see it as high as
20Mb inward. There is also a limit on how fast most things are needed,
eg, a 3 hour "radio" programme only streams in at 65kbytes/sec average.
Unless you have 6 children all downloading moves and playing online
games the additional benefit of going beyond 40Mb will not be great. The
biggest change is the upload/outward rate - which is important to me
(10x increase over ADSL2). There is a nice reduction in latency[1]
which is better for working/typing on remote computers.

I see you are already with zen.co.uk. Back on topic, I recommend using
an ISP which provides a news server which Zen do.

James.

1.
$ ping -s bbc.co.uk
PING bbc.co.uk: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from fmt-vip133.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.246.104): icmp_seq=0.
time=11.8 ms
64 bytes from fmt-vip133.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.246.104): icmp_seq=1.
time=12.1 ms
64 bytes from fmt-vip133.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.246.104): icmp_seq=2.
time=11.9 ms

Searching for Wholsale Providers DenverHelpDesk Marketplace 0 April 1st 10 06:51 PM
What is Usenet for? Simon Brooke Mountain Biking 1 January 1st 08 02:29 AM
What is Usenet for? Simon Brooke UK 0 December 28th 07 09:21 AM
tour providers in France Laura General 10 October 14th 03 03:16 AM
tour providers in France Laura Rides 9 October 14th 03 03:16 AM