27" Q:Which is more sturdy for touring, Wolber 58 or Velocity Synergy?

Old June 28th 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 27" Q:Which is more sturdy for touring, Wolber 58 or Velocity Synergy?

On Friday, June 27, 2014 7:12:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 27, 2014 2:55:45 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

On Friday, June 27, 2014 11:43:07 AM UTC-7, wrote:

It's getting tougher and tougher to find 27" (630mm) 48H rims.

Wolber 58's are available and Peter White Cycles tells me that Velocity no longer makes the Dyad in 48H, only the Synergy.

Does anyone have an opinion asto which would be the sturdier rim for loaded touring? I weigh about 275 for starters, add the bike and f/r panniers.

Am I correct that Mavic and Sun no longer make 48H 27" rims...are there any others? Akai?

BTW, what does Peter White recommend?

I built a ton of wheels on the Super Champion Mod. 58s (now Wolber), and they were bullet proof, particularly in the knuckle-skinning 48 hole version. You could get them infinitely true. They weigh about 550g, which is about 60 grams heavier than the Synergy.

The Synergy is a more modern, double-wall design. It is a deeper rim, and it comes in an OC version for the rear wheel which helps with the huge imbalance in spoke tensions with 130mm hubs. I have no experience with this rim, but at its weight, it is probably just as strong or stronger than the Mod. 58 -- but probably less durable in the sense that high spoke tensions may cause rim cracking. With all that rim area, double-walled and at that weight, the wall thickness can't be that thick. BUT, with 48 spokes, cracking is probably less likely because you're spreading the load between so many spokes and so evenly around a double-wall rim.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on NOS 27" rims (Wolber/Super Champ) or on any 27" rim. In fact, the NOS Super Champ Mod. 58s are going for insanely stupid amounts of money on ebay -- hundreds of dollars. I paid $10 rim when I was building with these rims in the '70s and early '80s.

Before spending big money on rims, I would do whatever I needed to do to switch to 700C. The cantis on my 27" wheel Cannondale T100 worked fine with 700C. When I switched to 700C on my old trans-con touring bike, I got Campy drop bolts -- but nowadays, you can get long-reach Tektro brakes. Then you can have whatever wheels you want. Frankly, finding 27" tires while on tour is not easy in many places (sort of the reverse problem of when 700C was up and coming in the '70s.)

-- Jay Beattie.

Hi Jay.

Thank-you for the great reply.

This guy might have a stash of Model 58's...check out the link he

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wolber-su...d3617/?geoc=us

...now if he only ships to the colonies.

I just assumed that Velocity would not bother to make the 27" version of the Synergy in the OC version....if they do, wow!, then one could easily make do with a 40H or even 36H version. It's a really keen concept.

As far as 700C goes, you simply have to accept that I am retro-curmudgeon and that 700C is never going to happen. (I have already converted my Easy Racer from 700C to God's rim--27" (ISO 630mm). Heck, I would still be using CP/M if I could....I'm just that way.

That being said, you will probably roll your eyes knowingly when I add that I am a SunTour man over the others as well.

You mentioned the 130 mm spacing, but I am using 126mm Ultra-6's. Thanks to eBay I should have all the cogs and freewheel bodies I need.

One thing about cyclists...they are very individualistic (and they like doing their own thing, too). I guess that's why I like it so much.

Thank-you again and I hope for some more great opinions.

Out of curiosity, are you saying that you are running a 6-on-5 freewheel on a 126mm hub? You could go ultra 7. Or you could swap some washers and get better dish. Maybe that is what you're doing. You could re-space to 130mm, add some washers and get a really strong wheel. I did that on my Cannondale, but I wouldn't recommend it -- unless you want a hernia. Bending Cannondale stays is nearly impossible, plus it voids warranties, etc., but then again, I had no interest in riding a time capsule.

You're right, I don't understand retro when it comes to working bikes, like a serious touring bike. For a museum piece, living room art or the cafe bike . . . sure, but for something I'm going to ride cross country, the last thing I want to be doing is hunting around for 27" rims and tires. Also, if your Cannondale is one of the early touring models, the 27" wheels left little room for large tires and fenders. That was an odd mistake made by Cannondale. Switching to 700C gave me more tire options in terms of tire height and width.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 28th 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

35c for a sand wash over the decreasing radius downhill....you've already cooked and now....

Old June 28th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Sand wash . . . this is what you need: http://www.catholicsaintmedals.com/i...0SS/8203SS.jpg
Old June 29th 14, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:12:54 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/27/2014 1:43 PM, pH wrote:

It's getting tougher and tougher to find 27" (630mm) 48H rims.

Wolber 58's are available and Peter White Cycles tells me that Velocity no longer makes the Dyad in 48H, only the Synergy.

Does anyone have an opinion asto which would be the sturdier rim for loaded touring? I weigh about 275 for starters, add the bike and f/r panniers.

Am I correct that Mavic and Sun no longer make 48H 27" rims...are there any others? Akai?

Pureheart in Aptos, CA

Any reason you didn't build with a 48h Synergy?

I'd also seriously consider changing to 700-35 if there are

no serious impediments to that.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Well, I had inquired at Peter Whites about the 27" Dyad that they had until recently.
Now only the Synergy is available and I was wondering how it compared with the Wolber 58 and anything else that might be available in the 27" world w/ an eye to sturdiness.

Peter says the Synergy is only good for "moderately" loaded touring. I was looking for "heavily" (such as the Dyad).

pH

Old June 29th 14, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

White sells hi standard evaluated equipment...no rotten vinyl.

'm not standing behind the following but have used the setup over uh 5000 miles on smooth roads...rarely even 'patchy' but at 30 mph downwind...enough stress to crinkle inferior paint on seat stays.

Messenger to TT 32c/700 tires(TT being weak)/SUN double wall rims-18's 36-2.0 DT spokes/DT long nipples/Specialized thorn proof tubes. Deore hubs

For 225 pounds to 275 pounds total weight.
Spokes are n the loose side with hub holes lubed/filled with Finish Line dry lube. Linseed on nipples. But recommend using DT spoke lock.