Tubular tire advantage = able to run at high pressure or able to runat low pressure?

Old May 9th 15, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Tubular tire advantage = able to run at high pressure or able to runat low pressure?

When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers
Old May 9th 15, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Sir Ridesalot schreef op 9-5-2015 om 5:46:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

In practice they have no benefits IMO.

Lou
Old May 9th 15, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 11:46:35 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

///////////////////

more the concept tubular advocates are mentally ill
Old May 9th 15, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 11:46:35 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found
there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than
clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at
higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower
pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

///////////////////

more the concept tubular advocates are mentally ill

Well you can't pinch flat tubulars regardless of the tire pressure so I
guess you can run them softer. But I have 23mm clinchers on 25mm rims and
can run them at 90psi with no problem.

And you can run them at higher pressure which should reduce punctures.
But with flat protection these days you can get the same benefits without
having to have hard tires.

I think the only real advantage is the lighter rims for tubular and if
you're not racing I don't see the point in dealing with the hassle.

--
duane
Old May 9th 15, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/8/2015 10:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

In some cases both.

Many riders prefer the softer ride of a 90psi tubular but
for extreme events (pursuit, tt etc) there are tubulars
which can run efficiently at very high pressures.

If you peruse Jan Heine's data for 23mm clinchers you'll
notice there's a j-curve with an optimal pressure for
rolling resistance on your average paved road at about
115psi. That curve is typical of tires generally I think,
but the actual values depend on surface and tire material,
section, load etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 9th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

115 !

a brief search blew out the storage....

http://semiprocycling.com/six-steps-...-tire-pressure

we'll downgrade that to 'confused'...in all good sense of course.

one searches for answers among many -

Gandhi
Old May 9th 15, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Duane wrote:

:And you can run them at higher pressure which should reduce punctures.

My experience is that higher pressure gets more flats.

:--
:duane

--
sig 124
Old May 9th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2015 4:23 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot schreef op 9-5-2015 om 5:46:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found
there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than
clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at
higher pressure. Others said it was because the could be run at lower
pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

In practice they have no benefits IMO.

The one benefit I experienced: They make a wonderful bang when the
casing explodes if you park them too long in the hot Georgia sun.

But I needed to hear that only once. I stick with clinchers.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 15, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 1:22:37 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot schreef op 9-5-2015 om 5:46:
When I was first reading up on the benefits of tubular tires I found there seems to be a contradiction as to why they were better than clincher tires. Some said it was because tubular tires could be run at higher pressure.. Others said it was because the could be run at lower pressure without pinch flatting. So which is it? Or is it both reasons?

Cheers

In practice they have no benefits IMO.

I think it depends on the event. They can be run flat and do have great pinch flat resistance at low pressures, so they do make good cyclocross tires and remain popular around here for that purpose.

They are also extremely light and still popular for speed events. RR can be low if properly glued. As for performance on the road under normal circumstances, I doubt that I could tell the difference between a Pro 4 with a light tube and a Vittoria CX, both at 115psi. There was a time when the performance difference was night and day, but the gap seriously narrowed with the SuperComp HD -- the first clincher I used for racing.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 9th 15, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

David Scheidt wrote:
Duane wrote:

:And you can run them at higher pressure which should reduce punctures.

My experience is that higher pressure gets more flats.

:--
:duane

My experience is that harder tires chuck glass out of the way rather than
picking it up and working it into the tire.

--
duane