Build it and they won't come

Old September 28th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Build it and they won't come

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 7:17:41 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:07:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:42:12 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 22:18:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/26/2017 7:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/26/2017 6:02 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/26/2017 5:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/26/2017 3:18 PM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 11:20:06 AM UTC-7,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/26/2017 1:35 PM,
wrote:

The government was never suppose to provide for you
what you should be capable of providing for yourself.
This constant taxing away people's income for
government services is a large part of why inflation is
so high.

https://www.statbureau.org/en/united-states/inflation

Here we go again with your idiotic ideas of how to hide
inflation. Yesterday I bought one lb of skirt steak. This
is not an especially expensive piece of meat since it is
the part that is cut off when they are butchering steaks.

One lb of beef - almost $34. Two market steaks that were
about 3/4 lb. $13. I was afraid to ask them how much New
York cuts would cost.

Yeah, there isn't any inflation. Four zucchini squash -
SMALL - $5 ($2.99/lb) A can of diced tomatoes that you
have to buy because it is the season when tomato flies
will invade your home if you leave ripe tomatoes out.

OK, finally something I know something about. Store-brand
diced tomatoes are 79c/can around here. What's the
CaliforniaÂ* price?

Our store's advertising $1.00 for 28 ounces.

I hope your cans are smaller than ours; I don't want to have
to gripe like Tom.

14oz/79cents here.
I am being exploited by the Ohio Tomato Cartel.

Well, don't feel bad. I'm pretty sure mine was a sale price. They're
probably not much different in their regular prices.

Tomato's you can raise in the back yard and "can" them for use all
winter.

Words from a real farmer there.

Nope, not me. I left home as soon as I could and never weeded another
row. But my folks had a garden until they were in their 80's and my
mother canned food for the winter during most of that period.

You see Tom, back in the day, New Englanders assumed that you must be
feeble minded to actually pay for something that you could do your
self.

You see, back in the day my grandfather was the smarty pants and got to this country as chief engineer on a steam ship. Jumping ship and riding the rails he then became the chief engineer at the Salinas sugar mill. Everyone else in the family were farmers. So don't give me this crap about what you know about farming or the same stupid crap about not having scheduled maintenance on mission critical components on bombers or your stupid crap about there not being regulations about both seats for the pilots being filled when pilots were known to be so frightened of flying into enemy territory in WWII that they would drop their load before getting there even on our own troops.

We had to have backyard gardens in order to have fresh produce until our wonderful Democrats let the Americans of Japanese descent out of the concentration camps and they managed to set up greenhouses so that stores could get year round produce.

Oh, wait, that couldn't have been the case could it? That must be my failing memory. The Democrats have pushed that under the rug as well. Frank will demand a citation.
Old September 28th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/28/2017 8:47 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

BTW, you need to move out of the Bay Area -- take the whole family. I was in SF a month ago, and the prices were staggering. I just refused to pay and drank office coffee. There is a point at which I just say "f*** that!."

Costco has high quality Colombian Arabica beans for about $5 per pound.
Who the heck would buy Folgers? Some Costcos still roast in the store
but some have removed the roasters after what happened in Livermore
http://www.mercurynews.com/2010/02/01/coffee-roaster-catches-fire-clears-out-livermore-costco/.

No real reason to buy the $3 per cup coffee from Starbucks or Peet's,
brew your own. On vacation bring a cone filter and an immersion heater,
and buy some ground coffee at Trader Joe's when you arrive.

SF restaurant prices are not representative of the whole Bay Area, and
even in San Francisco, when you leave the tourist centers and go out to
the neighborhoods, things are different. I.e. when we take people hiking
along the coast from The Cliff House to the Marina Green, we stop at the
same neighborhood Chinese restaurant and it's still less than $8 for
lunch
https://b.zmtcdn.com/data/menus/201/16852201/ab470540d85ef6a5afe4d52bcf030469.jpg?output-format=webp
plus the lunch specials are good seven days a week.

Even in Chinatown, if you get off the main street there are very good
deals. My wife's late grandfather's favorite restaurant in Chinatown is
one I still go to if in the Financial District
https://www.zomato.com/san-francisco/kam-lok-chinatown/menu#tabtop
though they recently increased prices by 50 cents. You can still get a
good Chinese dinner for 4 for $25 in the suburbs.
Old September 28th 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:11:59 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

I make my own. There is an old coffee company called Hills Bros. and in the cheap store I can get it for $8 a can. It is as good as anything anywhere. Though since I only drink a couple of cups every morning it tends to get stale near the bottom of the can.
Old September 28th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-20 20:57, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:47:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Build it and they will come? Sorry, no.

Here's a new article dispelling the myth that segregated facilities
generate tremendous bike mode share.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ped-stevenage?

Unless motoring is actively dissuaded, almost all people who have
cars will drive cars.

I remember seeing period BBC footage about this, describing the
innovations in place at the time. Now, maybe it's what you're used to;
I grew up in a very bikeable suburb of Chicago and all us kids just got
around on bikes. So I looked at infrastructure like this and was
puzzled as to why.

Apparently I wasn't alone.

In the Minneapolis-St Paul area we have been building out both
on-street and separated bike facilities. While I find much of the
design of the on-street facilities to be objectionable and even
downright stupid, there has been a noticeable increase in bike riding.
Most of them are young uns and are not wearing the pseudo-pro clown
suits (I'm still wearing mine, although I've reached an age and a body
composition where that's probably ill-advised). The separated
facilities- which are pretty extensive- get a whole lot of use; the
on-street facilities seem to get a lot of use too although not quite as
much.

But this doesn't seem to work everywhere. Denmark made it work by
taxing cars at an astonishing rate- owning a car is an economic
hardship for many if not most Danes due to the tax structure- and
pairing that with extensive on-street bike facilities. There would be
no way to accomplish something like that in the US, where owning a car
and having cheap fuel is effectively part of the Bill of Rights.

That is what many people who never lived there think but that isn't the
way it is. Nearly all adult Danes own cars, just like the Dutch, the
Germans, and so on. All countries where car ownership isn't cheap but
you've got to have one. They generaly have smaller more economical cars.
Not a monstrous SUV with a 5-liter engine but a compact car with a
1.5-liter engine.

Why do people ride bikes there? Mainly because of the cycling
facilities. Another reason is health, Europeans are on average less
obese that Americans and there are reasons for that, one of them being
cycling.

My wife and I lived in Europe for decades so we know a thing or two
about it. Here in the US we have two cars. In Europe we had only one and
sometimes it sat in the garage for more than a month without having
rolled one lone kilometer.

Build it and they will come, it has been proven time and again. Pointing
to some examples where they screwed up as Frank likes to do isn't going
to change that fact.

Now that they are (finally!) building out the bicycle infrastructure in
this area I notice a significant uptick in rider numbers but only in
areas where cycle paths are built, not in the others. Personally I was
down to 757 miles total on my car including business use for 2016,
dropping further. About 4000 miles between the road bike and the MTB. I
do not even remember the last time I bought gas and the tank is still at
more than 3/4. Of course, now I am gong through MTB tires like popcorn.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 29th 17, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/28/2017 6:29 PM, Joerg wrote:

Why do people ride bikes there? Mainly because of the cycling
facilities. Another reason is health, Europeans are on average less
obese that Americans and there are reasons for that, one of them being
cycling.

Build it and they will come, it has been proven time and again.

In the U.S., it's been proven time and time again that "build it, and
maybe 1.5% will come, if you're lucky and cycling is fashionable in your
area."

Pointing
to some examples where they screwed up as Frank likes to do isn't going
to change that fact.

But the examples I've given _did_ build it, and they _didn't_ come.
Don't pretend that's false.

Now that they are (finally!) building out the bicycle infrastructure in
this area I notice a significant uptick in rider numbers but only in
areas where cycle paths are built, not in the others.

Significant? What are the numbers?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:37:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/28/2017 10:05 AM, wrote:
It must be nice not to have to worry about the price of things.

Yes, it is. I was careful about spending all my life. It took me a while
to change my habits and spend money without worry, but I do.

My wife has pretty much the same attitude I do. When we went to Paris, I
actually had to convince her to shop for clothes. I don't think many
wives say "My husband _made_ me buy clothes in Paris!"

Tell me - do you people put your wive's on a budget and then complain that they can't handle money? This certainly sounds like the sort of thing that Frank would do.

No, Tom.

Or are other people paying your way?

Hmm. Well, I'm covered partly by Medicaid. Jay may be able to answer
your question. I don't pay much attention to that, because aside from
the insanity of trying to fill out forms, catch insurance mistakes, etc.
it just works for me. Sorry it doesn't work so well for you.

I think you mean Medicare (not Medicaid) and yes, Frank, you are a welfare king -- sucking off the public teat. A dead weight on society. Please exit left through the gift shop and down the dark shaft to the right.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaah! Thump!

That's the solution to the looming SS and Medicare Hospital Trust insolvency. Alternately, we need to reintroduce smoking, drinking and driving fast (all at the same time). Or, maybe after Trump builds the wall, get all the old SS retirees to pick the crops and drop dead in the fields. The options are legion. I'm going to start a think-tank or maybe a 501(c)(4) with a catchy name like "Americans for a Darker Future for Old People". We'll solve this old person problem and make America Great Again!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 29th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/28/2017 10:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

One of my closest friends has a feisty bitchy opinionated 98
year old mother who has had (free) Hospice Care for almost a
year but they are discontinuing service because, well, she's
not dying. Or not dying as much as she was last year, anyway.

Then the Assisted Living facility (her fifth residence)
evicted her, effective next Monday, because she is too
infirm for their care without assistance from Hospice Care.

Add in that about 1/4 of all Medicaid recipients are
prescribed opiate drugs (gee, what could go wrong?) and I
gotta say it's wonder I can afford all of you and your
benefits! So die already!

http://www.gao.gov/cghome/nationpress52206/img10.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...en-opioid.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 29th 17, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 11:20:06 AM UTC-7,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/26/2017 1:35 PM,
wrote:

[...]

California* price?

[...]

Yes, you keep on and on. In fact you appear to be the typical
Corporate Warrior. Go to meetings, stand tall, shoulders back, head
erect, nose in the air and spout the most ludicrous bull**** in a loud
and confident voice.

Examples above: Mission Critical.... I've mentioned that I never heard
that description in a 20 year career but tell us what it means? You
mean that the wings gotta be firmly attached to the fuselage? Or that
every engine nacelle needs to have an engine in it?

And pilots so frightened that they dropped their bombs... I can't say
for all WW II aircraft but the B-17 had no facility for dropping bombs
from the pilot's stations.

As you tell us a bomber has to have both seats occupied so I assume
that a WW II bomber crew must have included an extra man who could sit
in the pilot's seat while the pilot was scrabbling around down in the
nose to drop the bombs early.

See, I am acquainted with the crew members called Bombardier,
Navigator, Radio Man, Flight Engineer, Armbardier, Aircraft Commander
and Pilot, and the various gunners, but I never heard of a crew member
called a "Sit In The Seat Guy".

Good God! You are pathetic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 29th 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:46:04 +0700, John B wrote:

I've a good friend who is from Perth, Western Australia, who tells me
that nearly all the vegetables sold in Perth are actually Chinese
grown and shipped to Australia via refrigerated containers, as they
are cheaper then veggies grown in Australia.

Slave labor saves money, keeps costs down *and* boosts profits:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...josh-gelernter

http://content.time.com/time/world/a...635144,00.html

If we get rid of enough government regulation, maybe we can do that in
the US too! Hey, wait, we've got a start on that already:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...invisible-army