creaking headset

Old July 11th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon_H

Default creaking headset

I had my bike services last week by the LBS, I have ridden it only 10 miles
or so since. while not apparent during the ride when I later pulled it out
of the car the headset now creak like mad. nothing looks loose and have
tested for play by applying the front brake and rocking and their is none.
could this be a case of over zealous tightening by the shop. I am also loath
to start stripping it apart myself.

cheers
Jon_H

Old July 12th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Jon_H" wrote:

I had my bike services last week by the LBS, I have ridden it only 10 miles
or so since. while not apparent during the ride when I later pulled it out
of the car the headset now creak like mad. nothing looks loose and have
tested for play by applying the front brake and rocking and their is none.
could this be a case of over zealous tightening by the shop. I am also loath
to start stripping it apart myself.

How do you know it is the head set?

I ask because creaks, and rattles are notoriously elusive.
Your creak could come from the saddlerail-seatpost
junction! It could come from the stem, or stem-bar
junction, or from a crack in the bars. Start isolating the
creak with definitive tests.

--
Michael Press
Old July 12th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted

Check also the shifter and brake cable where they enter the braze ons.
They sometimes have a nasty creak when the bar is turned and they
move in the braze on.
Ted

Old July 12th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Try greasing the stem bolts too. Control Tech Stems (am I really that
old?) were notorious for this. But I agree with Michael, assuming it's
the headset is premature. I've got creaks that I never figure out that
come and go.

CH