28 mm tires too wide?

Old December 18th 05, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 28 mm tires too wide?

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything
relevant by searching.

I've got a pair of 700c x 28 Panaracer Paselas that I intended to use
on my commuter bike. I'm not exactly sure what the width of the rims
are -- subjectively I'd describe them as being standard road-racing
style rims. They're Arayas, and the previous tires were WTB Caminos
700x23.

I put the Paselas on and the intertube (@80 psi) on the rear started
bulging out the side and popped. I figured I did something wrong and
tried again. This time it worked fine, and I rode the tires a couple
hundred miles before getting a puncture. After repairing the tube, I
remounted the Pasela (again, the rear), pumped it to 80 psi, and the
tube bulged and popped yet again.

I've never had this bulging problem with any other tire, so I'm
thinking that it's just too wide for the rim - but that's surprising to
me as 28 mm seems pretty conservative for a "wide" tire.

So do you think that the tire/rim combo just aren't compatible, or am I
just incompetent when it comes to mounting tires?

Thanks..

kw tyre tyres

Old December 18th 05, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Just sounds like the beads weren't seated. a 28mm Pasela should fit the
vast majority of 700c rims in existence.

Old December 18th 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

That seems reasonable. I'm just perplexed that it's happened twice
with these tires and never before in the 100s of times I've mounted
tires.

thanks for the reply.

Old December 18th 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks Robert, that sounds like it might do the trick. The tire does
fit rather loosely so perhaps a little less haste in mounting and
pressurizing it would be appropriate.

Old December 18th 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

My bet is that you simply had some tube pinched between the tire and
rim. I've mounted fatter Panaracer tires on "thin rims" and never had
a blow-off, even though I tend to run 'em at well over the rated
pressure. The fact the tires stayed on fine for hundreds of miles
between incidents reinforces my guess.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old December 18th 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Make sure the bead is seated and that the tube isn't pinched under the
bead. Pump it up to about 20 psi and check again that the bead is
seated evenly all around the rim. If yes, pump to full pressure.

Art Harris

Old December 19th 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"Art Harris" wrote:

Make sure the bead is seated and that the tube isn't pinched under the
bead. Pump it up to about 20 psi and check again that the bead is
seated evenly all around the rim. If yes, pump to full pressure.

I take one more step that I never saw anyone else do or
suggest. After checking with partial pressure, I deflate
the tire, inflate to 40 psi, check, and deflate. Then I
fully inflate.

--
Michael Press
Old December 19th 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message

[...]

That's also been my experience. I have a couple of Pasela 32mm (actually
28mm) fitted to a comparatively thin rim and have had no problems.

Cheers,

R.

Old December 19th 05, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I did as many of you recommended, and inflated the tire partially to
check if the bead was seated. That's when I noticed that there was a
tiny cut in the sidewall. I think that I would have assumed this was
the problems from the getgo, except that the first time I had the
bulging problem (ahem) was when the tire was brand spanking new. So I
think there was either a quality control problem with this particular
tire, or I or my LBS somehow damaged it.. But then, I probably
wouldn't have been able to ride on it for a couple hundred miles in
between the two pops. So I'm a bit confused.

Anyhow, your advice is appreciated, and I'm going to use the partial
inflaton method from now on.

PS it seems that at least one other person on this group has had a
similar problem with the Pasela:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...c0dfe7579deafc

Kevin
(original poster, trying out a different handle)

Modern tires with colors other than black, Bad? Techniques 4 May 9th 05 05:48 PM
Help with upgrades for speed? pinnah Techniques 47 April 20th 05 01:46 PM
Rivendell tire TPI? Jim Rogers Techniques 23 May 15th 04 06:58 AM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
maturing tires Rik O'Shea Techniques 22 October 7th 03 10:19 PM