campagnolo jumping chain

Old August 9th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M. Bakunin

Default campagnolo jumping chain

hello all,
i have a problem i can't understand.
campagnolo centaur group, 10-speed, cassette 13-29, long cage
derailleur, chain chorus 10-speed.
everything is set as it should, and working very well.
but.... sometimes (happened 3 times in a dozen rides or so) if i
downshift more than one speed at a time, my chain jumps.
anybody out there had or has the same problem?
someone suggested to me to take off a link, even if the chain is the
right length. but before i commit a $100 to buy the campagnolo chain
tool (working their 10-speed chain is a pain in the neck with my chain
tool) i'd rather wait and hear from someone else experience....

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 9th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

M. Bakunin wrote:
hello all,
i have a problem i can't understand.
campagnolo centaur group, 10-speed, cassette 13-29, long cage
derailleur, chain chorus 10-speed.
everything is set as it should, and working very well.
but.... sometimes (happened 3 times in a dozen rides or so) if i
downshift more than one speed at a time, my chain jumps.
anybody out there had or has the same problem?
someone suggested to me to take off a link, even if the chain is the
right length. but before i commit a $100 to buy the campagnolo chain
tool (working their 10-speed chain is a pain in the neck with my chain
tool) i'd rather wait and hear from someone else experience....

http://www.usenet.com

Not quite sure what you mean by "my chain jumps". Jumps where?

A little clarification would be helpful. Is this a triple or double?
How do you know everything is set as it should be? If it were, would
your chain be "jumping"? What is your bike seatpost made of?

Help us help you by explaining exactly what you mean.

D'ohBoy

Old August 9th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M. Bakunin

In article om,
"D'ohBoy" wrote:

M. Bakunin wrote:
hello all,
i have a problem i can't understand.
campagnolo centaur group, 10-speed, cassette 13-29, long cage
derailleur, chain chorus 10-speed.
everything is set as it should, and working very well.
but.... sometimes (happened 3 times in a dozen rides or so) if i
downshift more than one speed at a time, my chain jumps.
anybody out there had or has the same problem?
someone suggested to me to take off a link, even if the chain is the
right length. but before i commit a $100 to buy the campagnolo chain
tool (working their 10-speed chain is a pain in the neck with my chain
tool) i'd rather wait and hear from someone else experience....

Not quite sure what you mean by "my chain jumps". Jumps where?

out of the big chain ring, toward the outside.

A little clarification would be helpful. Is this a triple or double?

double.

How do you know everything is set as it should be? If it were, would

because i just build it. and brought it to a shop for a mechanic to
check it out.
because this is not my first bike, because i do the maintenance on my
bikes (road and mtb). but here i'm puzzled...

What is your bike seatpost made of?

why? you're in the market for one?

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 9th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

M. Bakunin wrote:
In article om,
"D'ohBoy" wrote:

M. Bakunin wrote:
[...]

Sorry about the red herring "seatpost" question. So your chain jumps
off the big ring in the front, to the outside?

Older steel, or less stiff frame? Do you get a lotta chainrub on the
fder? Is your big ring worn? How old is your chain? Combo of new
chain and old ring or vice versa would also contribute to this
happening.

Sounds like you are hammering and you have some serious frame flex
happening. I can't think of any other cause - the slack in the chain
due to the momentary motion of the rear der allows while you are at
the peak of your power stroke on the drive side forcing the bb area and
crank to the left relative to the chainline and pop! off the chainring
to the outside (and the chainring or chain wear would also contribute
to this).

A perfect storm of mechanical factors.

Good luck and please, if you do solve this, let me/us know what the
solution was.

D'ohBoy

Old August 9th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

M. Bakunin wrote:
hello all,
i have a problem i can't understand.
campagnolo centaur group, 10-speed, cassette 13-29, long cage
derailleur, chain chorus 10-speed.
everything is set as it should, and working very well.
but.... sometimes (happened 3 times in a dozen rides or so) if i
downshift more than one speed at a time, my chain jumps.
anybody out there had or has the same problem?
someone suggested to me to take off a link, even if the chain is the
right length. but before i commit a $100 to buy the campagnolo chain
tool (working their 10-speed chain is a pain in the neck with my chain
tool) i'd rather wait and hear from someone else experience....

http://www.usenet.com

After reading the other popsts...when going to a bigger cog, lower
gear,, chain wants to come off the big ring to the outside..Sounds like
FD adjust but tough to say w/o seeing it. Chain is hitting FD somehow
when the angle of the chain is changing whilst going to larger in size
cog.

Old August 9th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M. Bakunin

In article . com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

FD adjust but tough to say w/o seeing it. Chain is hitting FD somehow

Thanks for the input. Will check position and alignment of FD.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 9th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

M. Bakunin wrote:
In article . com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

FD adjust but tough to say w/o seeing it. Chain is hitting FD somehow

Thanks for the input. Will check position and alignment of FD.

http://www.usenet.com

Thought your mechs were already confirmed to be correctly set up by a
prof wrench ;-)

D'ohBoy