Shimano 105 STI lever problem

Old March 12th 05, 05:14 AM
Dan Daniel

Default Shimano 105 STI lever problem

I'm trying to decide if a friend's right (rear derailleur) STI lever
is shot. It will upshift fine- pushing the outer lever toward the
center. Downshifting- clicking the inner lever- is only possible when
holding the outer lever still and pushing at a slightly different
angle. This makes it a two-handed operation, obviously not acceptable.

The bike had taken a fall- slow speed slip on wet railroad tracks- and
come down on the right side. I don't see any obvious signs of impact
or scraping on the levers. He says that it wouldn't shift afterwards
and he walked it home. I put this down the rear derailleur and chain
being grossly offset- 2 or 3 cog difference between derailleur
position and chain position, and I don't remember which way.

I've tried flushing the unit with solvent but that hasn't made a
difference. Comparing the left and right lever motions, it feels as if
the right inner lever is moving at a different angle than the left
inner lever, and this motion is more forward and hanging up on the
outer lever body.

Flush it all again? Try bending the inner lever? Time to get a
replacement? Any experiences appreciated as I have almost no
experience with brifters, and times like this remind me why.
Old March 12th 05, 06:04 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

[...]

Unfortunately, there may be nothing you can do about it. It's been my
experience that, if the bike crashes in such a way that the brake lever is
pushed hard against the handlebar, the lever is shaped just right so that it
follows the bend of the bar and forces it to the outside, bending the
internals in a way that I haven't found a way to fix. It's not even visibly
bent, but when I find a lever with the problem you describe, there's nearly
always evidence on the handlebar tape that the lever had been forced into
it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 12th 05, 12:03 PM
B Paton

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
Flush it all again? Try bending the inner lever? Time to get a
replacement?

I think you have got the right procedure. Follow it in the order you
mention, but be patient with each step.

I will only add that I had a similar situation last year on a bike that went
through a similar experience, and I was 99% sure it was time to get a
replacement. Still, I flushed it yet again (probably the 4th time). Lo and
behold, it worked perfectly and, as far as I know, it has worked since.
Good luck.
Blake

Old March 12th 05, 02:09 PM
Francesco Devittori

Just in case you haven't already done it, check the cable. I once had a
similar problem with an STI lever and discovering the damaged cable
avoided buying a new lever...

Francesco

Old March 12th 05, 02:17 PM
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo

Dan Daniel wrote:
I'm trying to decide if a friend's right (rear derailleur) STI lever
is shot. It will upshift fine- pushing the outer lever toward the
center. Downshifting- clicking the inner lever- is only possible when
holding the outer lever still and pushing at a slightly different
angle. This makes it a two-handed operation, obviously not acceptable.

Common problem on STI-9s

[...]

Flush it, ensure the housing, inner wire and BB guikde are clear. If all
is OK, then the lever is done. Replacing is the only fix. Campagnolo
levers and rear der will eliminate any future 'busted, gotta throw
away', problems.
Old March 12th 05, 02:33 PM
richard

I had this same experience with the frayed inner cable. It could be
just coincidental that the problem became evident right after a crash.
(The crash might also have broken a wire or two.)

If a new cable + flushes of solvent don't fix it, well, since it's
broken anyway... See if the inner lever is contacting the outer at any
point in its movement. See if you can either bend or file things so the
levers no longer contact. Like I said, since it's already broken...

Old March 12th 05, 06:18 PM
Bill Cotton

See my page: http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm
www.billcotton.com.

Old March 12th 05, 06:56 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:18:58 -0500, "Bill Cotton"

Old March 12th 05, 07:02 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:17:13 -0700, Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
wrote:

Dan Daniel wrote:
I'm trying to decide if a friend's right (rear derailleur) STI lever
is shot. It will upshift fine- pushing the outer lever toward the
center. Downshifting- clicking the inner lever- is only possible when
holding the outer lever still and pushing at a slightly different
angle. This makes it a two-handed operation, obviously not acceptable.

Common problem on STI-9s

Yeah, so I am learning. I'll stick with bar ends on my own bikes for
now.

Flush it, ensure the housing, inner wire and BB guikde are clear. If all
is OK, then the lever is done. Replacing is the only fix. Campagnolo
levers and rear der will eliminate any future 'busted, gotta throw
away', problems.

Quite a marketing feat by Shimano, getting this kind of mechanism
installed on so many bikes. Yeah, yeah, I know, thousands never have
this problem, 'mine has always been perfect,' blah blah blah. I don't
care- a $100 or more throw-away part on a bicycle is an insult to what
a bike should be. If I do ever go to brifters, Campy will get my
money.
Old March 12th 05, 09:21 PM
Dan Daniel

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:14:28 -0800, Dan Daniel
wrote:

Flush it all again? Try bending the inner lever? Time to get a
replacement? Any experiences appreciated as I have almost no
experience with brifters, and times like this remind me why.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Looks like the lever is dead.
A couple of more flushes and not much more to do. Now I'll see if I
can talk the bike's owner into going to bar ends....