How Mountain Bikers Treat Other Trail Users

Old February 17th 09, 05:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default How Mountain Bikers Treat Other Trail Users

Hi Mike,
Note, this is exactly what happens when Mountain Bikes are allowed on
single track trails with hikers horses; someone has an unpleasant,
dangerous incident and they choose never to go back to that park...it
ends up being a speeding Mountain Bike paradise....I can think of a
lot of places where this has happened (China Camp State Park in Marin
County, and Boggs State Demonstration Forest in Lake County)
Horseback riders tend to avoid Boggs on the weekend when the mountain
bike useage is high....

I had the misfortune to ride multi-use singletrack trails at Sly Park
near Placerville. I was not aware bikes were on these trails and
didn't see any signs to tell me that.....first bike that popped around
the corner spooked my normally calm trail horse badly enough that i
was dumped hard on my hip. We were FORTUNATE to catch my horse;
sometimes they run off and get lost with saddles and bridles on! Not
10 minutes later, another bike came down a hill at me VERY FAST....i
called out to please slow down...and he skidded to a long stop....just
in time to not hit my horse! This is insanity, having this mix on
trails that are narrow, highly vegetated, with no turnoffs, etc. i
won't choose to ride those trails again!.

Leaving aside arguments on who causes the most damage....the MAIN
REASON not to have mountain bikes on shared trails is the great
difference in speed!!! Hikers and horses are not out there to tearing
around as fast at they can go...they are on the trails to quietly
contemplace nature and relax....a totally uncompatable use with
mountain bikes.....

Also, at Boggs Forest, my worst encounter with a mountain bike was
while hiking/jogging...i was nearly run over on a blind corner!!!!

Feel free to use any of my comments....

[From an equestrian]

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 17th 09, 05:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej Jorgensen

Mike Vandeman wrote:
I was not aware bikes were on these trails and didn't see any signs to
tell me that.....first bike that popped around the corner spooked my
normally calm trail horse badly enough that i was dumped hard on my
hip.

Do you think equestrians (that are riding horses) should be allowed
where they were riding when they came across the bikes?

-Beej

Old February 17th 09, 06:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 05:14:24 +0000 (UTC), Beej Jorgensen
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
I was not aware bikes were on these trails and didn't see any signs to
tell me that.....first bike that popped around the corner spooked my
normally calm trail horse badly enough that i was dumped hard on my
hip.

Do you think equestrians (that are riding horses) should be allowed
where they were riding when they came across the bikes?

Sure, as long as bikes are restricted to paved roads.

-Beej

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 17th 09, 08:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej Jorgensen

Mike Vandeman wrote:
wrote:
Do you think equestrians (that are riding horses) should be allowed
where they were riding when they came across the bikes?

Sure, as long as bikes are restricted to paved roads.

Just trying to nail down your stance on equestrians (that are riding
horses).

-Beej

Old February 18th 09, 02:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Beej Jorgensen wrote:
Mike Vandeman wrote:
wrote:
Do you think equestrians (that are riding horses) should be allowed
where they were riding when they came across the bikes?

Sure, as long as bikes are restricted to paved roads.

Just trying to nail down your stance on equestrians (that are riding
horses).

Extra protein.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old February 19th 09, 04:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:34:30 +0000 (UTC), Beej Jorgensen
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
wrote:
Do you think equestrians (that are riding horses) should be allowed
where they were riding when they came across the bikes?

Sure, as long as bikes are restricted to paved roads.

Just trying to nail down your stance on equestrians (that are riding
horses).

They can go wherever they like, just like WILD horses can. Bikes
belong on PAVEMENT.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 20th 09, 02:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

I thought i would read the letter til i came to the first lie...it
didn't take long.

here is a note from one of my horse riding friends.

friends? ROFLMFAO
Old February 20th 09, 02:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Sounds to me like horses don't get along well with the rest of society.

Can you imagine the poor bike rider? I came around this blind corner hauling
ass, and there was a horse right in the middle of the trail that the rider
was not able to keep under control. Horses are dangerous.

Sheesh, Vandeman, you really are a piece of work.

Old February 22nd 09, 07:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:30:53 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I thought i would read the letter til i came to the first lie...it
didn't take long.

BS. Obviously, a PROFESSIONAL LIAR like you has trouble detecting the
truth.