Pulling squre taper cranks, DIY

Old September 4th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

Default Pulling square taper cranks, DIY

On 4 Sep, 04:17, Gone Fishin' wrote:
I'm sorry, I suppose my question was insufficiently specific. *What is
wrong with the cranks that are on the bicycle that requires them to be
removed? *

Old chainrings 5 bolt. New chainrings 4 bolt.

what is wrong with 5 bolt?
Old September 4th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
notme

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 06:31:49 -0700, someone wrote
(in article
):

what is wrong with 5 bolt?

worn out.

Old September 4th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 4 Sep, 15:35, notme wrote:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 06:31:49 -0700, someone wrote
(in article
):

what is wrong with 5 bolt?

worn out.

replace 'worn out' bit(s)
Old September 4th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Norman

On Sep 4, 9:31*am, someone wrote:
On 4 Sep, 04:17, Gone Fishin' wrote:

I'm sorry, I suppose my question was insufficiently specific. *What is
wrong with the cranks that are on the bicycle that requires them to be
removed? *

Old chainrings 5 bolt. New chainrings 4 bolt.

what is wrong with 5 bolt?

If you already have 4-bolt, keeping that 5th bolt
off makes you 25% faster. If you have 5-bolt,
losing one makes you 20% faster.

& if you are one of those poor turds stuck on
TA six-bolt cranks, just stop. Mail 'em to me
and I'll send you a no-bolt crank free.
Old September 5th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Pulling squre taper cranks, DIY

"JG" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 9:16 pm, JG wrote:
Another alternative is to use the flanged Allen bolt/threaded cap
setup modern cranks now come with. You should be able to drive the
crank off with an Allen wrench, if you are careful.

=====
And I meant to add: you can keep them permanently mounted as a
replacment for the ordinary bolts, and always have them available.
=====

Good idea. But it's more of a convenience than a money saver, given the cost
of the "one key release" kits. It sounds like this is all about saving
money. Or simply trying to prove that something can be done without the
right tools. He probably has an old HD. :-)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 5th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 4 Sep, 18:09, Norman wrote:
On Sep 4, 9:31*am, someone wrote:

On 4 Sep, 04:17, Gone Fishin' wrote:

I'm sorry, I suppose my question was insufficiently specific. *What is
wrong with the cranks that are on the bicycle that requires them to be
removed? *

Old chainrings 5 bolt. New chainrings 4 bolt.

what is wrong with 5 bolt?

If you already have 4-bolt, keeping that 5th bolt
off makes you 25% faster. *If you have 5-bolt,
losing one makes you 20% faster.

& if you are one of those poor turds stuck on
TA six-bolt cranks, just stop. *Mail 'em to me
and I'll send you a no-bolt crank free.

I do remember losing two bolts, at least one snapped. This left me
with a three bolt setup, it was good for another couple of miles, I
was close to the racing bike shop I liked, they always had what I
wanted, absolutely every time.
Old September 6th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Király

In rec.bicycles.misc Gone Fishin' wrote:
Old chainrings 5 bolt. New chainrings 4 bolt.

So you bought new rings with the wrong bolt pattern, and now to save $10
on a crank puller, you want to destructively pull off your old cranks
and replace with new.

If the point is to save money, why don't you take your rings back and
exchange for ones that fit your 5-bolt cranks? Then you don't need to
change your cranks at all.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old September 7th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Another alternative is to use the flanged Allen bolt/threaded cap
setup modern cranks now come with. You should be able to drive the
crank off with an Allen wrench, if you are careful.

Would you elaborate a little? Use a normal pulley puller or such with the
allen bolts in the chain rings?

thanks.

Old September 7th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Good idea. But it's more of a convenience than a money saver, given the cost
of the "one key release" kits. It sounds like this is all about saving
money. Or simply trying to prove that something can be done without the
right tools.

I just don't like buying tools I'll use once. The second time I need it, I'll
buy it. But tools just to populate my shop? No. Not if I can borrow or DIY a
tool.

He probably has an old HD. :-)

No (whatever that is).

Old September 7th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Gone Fishin'

Old chainrings 5 bolt. New chainrings 4 bolt.

So you bought new rings with the wrong bolt pattern, and now to save $10
on a crank puller, you want to destructively pull off your old cranks
and replace with new.

If the point is to save money, why don't you take your rings back and
exchange for ones that fit your 5-bolt cranks? Then you don't need to
change your cranks at all.

This is the epitome of what I dislike about even asking questions here.

I ask a simple question, and in return get 9 more questions that have less to
do with answering my question than they do questioning the reasons I am doing
what I am doing.

If there was a way for all USENET to hear my frustration (rather than the few
readers of this thread) I would say:

ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION OR F'ING DON'T WRITE ANYTHING.

To those who actually did the former, thank you. I am grateful.