That's cold

Old September 22nd 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Troll Feeder

Default That's cold

http://pages.nyu.edu/~jh15/bikes/images/44below.jpg
Old September 22nd 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

http://pages.nyu.edu/~jh15/bikes/images/44below.jpg

That's nuts. "Fairbanks International Airport" says the sign.

Old September 22nd 09, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

notme wrote:
http://pages.nyu.edu/~jh15/bikes/images/44below.jpg

That's nuts. "Fairbanks International Airport" says the sign.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ater+this+week

Bill "I blame mankind" S.

Old September 22nd 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mike[_8_]

In article ,
says...
http://pages.nyu.edu/~jh15/bikes/images/44below.jpg

That's nuts. "Fairbanks International Airport" says the sign.

Nuts perhaps, but at least the rider appears to have decided to make it
a sensible lunch-time ride, rather than risking a morning or evening
trip.

Mike
Old September 22nd 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 21, 11:43*pm, notme wrote:
http://pages.nyu.edu/~jh15/bikes/images/44below.jpg

That's nuts. "Fairbanks International Airport" says the sign.

So can anyone comment on what happens to bicycles at that temperature?
How well do bearings work? What happens to the tires? Do shifters
work?
Any other issues? Inquiring minds want to know.

DR
Old September 23rd 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

DirtRoadie wrote:
So can anyone comment on what happens to bicycles at that temperature?
How well do bearings work? What happens to the tires? Do shifters
work?
Any other issues? Inquiring minds want to know.

Once your snot and tears freeze, you won't care much about
details of the bike. Fixed gear is reliable in the cold.

p.s With tubs, you don't actually have to stop for a flat.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 23rd 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

p.s With tubs, you don't actually have to stop for a flat.

As in "run-flat" tires? Or as in "I don't want to stop for any reason"?

Old September 23rd 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

notme wrote:
As in "run-flat" tires? Or as in "I don't want to stop for any reason"?

Why freeze a wrench to one's fingers when you can stand up,
leaning over the bars, and ride on?

Old September 23rd 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 23 Sep, 04:25, notme wrote:
p.s With tubs, you don't actually have to stop for a flat.

As in "run-flat" tires? Or as in "I don't want to stop for any reason"?

Run flatting. Cotton tubs run at normal pressures will flat slowly
when they do eventually puncture. Tub punctures are less frequent
than HP punctures when using equivalents. The better rolling of a tub
permits the choice of a more resilient casing and tread.
Old September 23rd 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

DirtRoadie wrote:

So can anyone comment on what happens to bicycles at that temperature?
How well do bearings work? What happens to the tires? Do shifters
work?

Any other issues? Inquiring minds want to know.

Once your snot and tears freeze, you won't care much about
details of the bike. Fixed gear is reliable in the cold.

Eeek.

On reflection, I suppose whether a coaster brake works appropriately
in the cold depends on the low-temperature properties of its grease.
In horrible conditions such as we are discussing, I would be tempted
to try coaster rear and drum front brakes. But I would be much more
tempted to get the hell out of there for someplace as sultry as
Galveston or as temperate as Bogotá.

Chalo

It's Cold P K UK 14 January 5th 09 03:03 PM
How cold is too cold? Josh Hassol General 15 January 28th 07 10:18 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 07:50 PM