converting rear disk brake to block brake

Old October 19th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jeremy Watts[_2_]

Default converting rear disk brake to block brake

Hi,

I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Jeremy

Old October 20th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marz

On Oct 19, 11:18 am, "Jeremy Watts" wrote:
Hi,

I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Jeremy

Another daft question for your daft question. Why? There's nothing
wrong with disk brakes.

Old October 20th 07, 06:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
OzCableguy

"Jeremy Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to
the frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Maybe you could adapt something similar to this concept -
http://njsframes.blogspot.com/2007/0...or-keirin.html.
But I'd stick with the disks.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old October 20th 07, 09:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

Jeremy Watts said the following on 19/10/2007 17:18:
Hi,

I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Why on earth would you want to do this?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 22nd 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Maybe you could adapt something similar to this concept -http://njsframes.blogspot.com/2007/08/front-clamp-on-brake-kit-for-ke....
But I'd stick with the disks.

--www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com

There's these gimmicks too, though they look they're made for MTB
forks:

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=3&subcat=439

If your frame is steel, you could always have the posts brazed on....

/s

converting front roller brake to front disk brake ric UK 9 July 28th 07 08:07 AM
converting front rollerbrake to disk brake - easy? ric Techniques 1 July 26th 07 04:30 PM
Converting coaster brake to hand brake cmcanulty General 2 January 16th 07 08:12 AM
Rear disk brake adaptor Rob G UK 9 November 21st 06 02:41 PM
Disc Brake Adapter for 2001 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo Frame, Disk Brake HKEK Techniques 0 February 29th 04 03:35 AM