Bleeding Hayes 9 discs

Old September 2nd 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

Default Bleeding Hayes 9 discs

The book says a Hayes bleed kit is needed to do this. Many have used a large
syringe to inject fluid at the caliper, but I haven't heard of a DIY solution
for collecting the old fluid coming out of the m. cylinder at the lever.

I think the hayes bleed tube has a proprietary connector that shoves into the
bleed port (but I haven't seen one close up) and the tube then leads into a
bottle or can.

Has anyone found a DIY solution for the bleed tube?

Thanks.

Old September 2nd 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"notme" wrote in message
The book says a Hayes bleed kit is needed to do this. Many have used a
large
syringe to inject fluid at the caliper, but I haven't heard of a DIY
solution
for collecting the old fluid coming out of the m. cylinder at the lever.

I think the hayes bleed tube has a proprietary connector that shoves into
the
bleed port (but I haven't seen one close up) and the tube then leads into
bottle or can.

Has anyone found a DIY solution for the bleed tube?

Thanks.

I've bled heaps HFX9's, but I've allways used the Hayes connector. You can
buy them seperately from the bleed kit and its the only piece you need, mine
cost 2 bucks from the LBS.

My Hayes bleed kit is home made except for that Hayes connector. If you
dont have a connector, just use a small tube that fits into the overflow
hole (which is covered by that small plug which pushes into the rubber, I
really dont like that at all), then put the other end into a small bit of
brake fluid in a tin. I use an old coke bottle with a hole in the lid and a
piece of wire bent around the neck so it hangs from my handle bars.

Then crack the bleed nipple in the caliper and push fluid up through the
system while watching the tube sticking out of the lever body...

Cheers Dre

Old September 2nd 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 1, 9:54*pm, notme wrote:
The book says a Hayes bleed kit is needed to do this. Many have used a large
syringe to inject fluid at the caliper, but I haven't heard of a DIY solution
for collecting the old fluid coming out of the m. cylinder at the lever.

I think the hayes bleed tube has a proprietary connector that shoves into the
bleed port (but I haven't seen one close up) and the tube then leads into a
bottle or can.

Has anyone found a DIY solution for the bleed tube?

Thanks.

Just have a helper with a rag let you know when it's dribbling out the
lever. Just did this.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

Just have a helper with a rag let you know when it's dribbling out the
lever. Just did this.

How about the bubbles? If you see fluid, this doesn't mean the air is all
gone from the line. Ya gotta pump a good amount of fluid out through a tube
so you can watch for air. When no air is seen for a few pumps, it's a good
sign that you're done.

I bought a bleed kit locally, $20.