Unicycling on TV One news!

Old December 19th 03, 11:13 AM
TonyMelton

Default Unicycling on TV One news!

I was interviewed and filmed doing some trials riding in Aotea Square,
downtown Auckland last night. The TV journalist, Paul Moor, seemed
genuinely interested in unicycling and impressed me with his background
knowledge - he'd done his homework!

We spent about 45min filming me doing various trials lines around Aotea
- I had to ride each obstacle at least 3 times and sometimes 5 or 6
times! Angles, angles... I rode up and down steps, along planters,
pulled out the ole footplant and threw in a wall ride for good measure.
The only time I fell off was riding backwards on a planter, but they
weren't actually filming at that point. The camera man was pretty
cool and it turned out he's a friend of fellow Ak unicyclist Peter Bier
- small world!

As for when its going to be shown on TV1 News I can't tell you yet. The
story was done as a 'human interest'/stuff for the summer break- type
story. So it'll probably be on sometime between Xmas and the first week
of Jan. Paul is going to call me before its on to let me know. I'm going
to Oz on the 26th and may well be out of internet contact, but will try
to post here if/when I find out. So I guess you Kiwis will just have to
watch the sports section of the news every day, if you want to see it!

--Tony
No cig

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old December 19th 03, 12:25 PM
joe

Cool!

Will someone be able to record it up stick in a gallery, so we can watch
it?

Cheers,

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

www.cool.unicyclist.com
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

Old December 19th 03, 12:36 PM
GizmoDuck

Hey Tony,

Sounds great! We have been getting some pretty cool media publicity
recently. Hopefully that'll get more people into unicycling in NZ.

Just to let all the NZ'ers know also- we were apparently on Sky TV last
week- they covered the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. Apparently someone
fell off his unicycle (not me) and there is footage of me taken from the
motorcycle cameraman. I missed it but one of my work colleagues is
going to bring in the video. It might be repeated later though- a lot
of the Sky Sport stuff are.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

Old December 19th 03, 12:41 PM
GILD

GizmoDuck wrote:
* I missed it but one of my work colleagues is going to bring in the
video. *

and are we likely to get the video uploaded?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

'it's xmas time!' (http://tinyurl.com/y7um)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old December 19th 03, 01:46 PM
GizmoDuck

GILD wrote:
*

and are we likely to get the video uploaded? *

I'll try but my skills are pretty limited. How do I upload from a video
recorder? Maybe I could video my television with my digital camera.

Old December 19th 03, 08:48 PM
TonyMelton

GizmoDuck wrote:
* we were apparently on Sky TV last week- they covered the Lake Taupo
Cycle Challenge. Apparently someone fell off his unicycle *

I think that was Peter!

I'll try & get a digital version of the news article for posting here.

--Tony

Old December 20th 03, 01:57 AM
andrew_carter

Cool! Sounds like fun. On thursday we were filmed for a show called
'Totally Wild' which was good fun although I ended up doing a little
interview which I wasn't too keen on. I did do a nice smooth glide and
some fun trials things though.

While all you NZ people are here...
When is the Karapoti Classic? I was told that Virgin airlines were
going to do a deal and offer return flights to and from NZ for about
$100. If so, I might be able to join you all in the Classic (assuming
I'm welcome).

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old December 20th 03, 10:08 AM
GizmoDuck

andrew_carter wrote:
*Cool! Sounds like fun. On thursday we were filmed for a show called
'Totally Wild' which was good fun although I ended up doing a little
interview which I wasn't too keen on. I did do a nice smooth glide
and some fun trials things though.

While all you NZ people are here...
When is the Karapoti Classic? I was told that Virgin airlines were
going to do a deal and offer return flights to and from NZ for about
$100. If so, I might be able to join you all in the Classic (assuming
I'm welcome).

Andrew *

That sounds like a sweet deal if you can get it

And you're more than welcome to stay at my place- I'd love to show you
some of the trails we have here. The Karapoti is on Sunday March 7th
2004. If you are able to make it let me know and I'll see if I can get
the Friday off work to show you around.

The 'Karapoti Classic'
(http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/karapoti/index.html) website has all the
info you need. There were quite a few Aussie riders this year including
Rob Eva- Aussie MTB legend .

Ken

Old December 21st 03, 01:24 AM
john_childs

GizmoDuck wrote:
*

I'll try but my skills are pretty limited. How do I upload from a
video recorder? Maybe I could video my television with my digital
camera. *

You use a video capture card like a 'WinTV card'
(http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci). Some video cards also
include video capture features if you have a "deluxe" model card. You
plug the VCR into the video capture card, play the video and use
software to capture the video to an AVI or MPEG file.

'VirtualDub' (http://www.virtualdub.org/) will handle most of the
software side of the capture process.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo