SRAM :(

Old June 8th 05, 12:36 AM

You know I know it didn't take a dive into the spokes.
Keep the pulley wheels,spring,and whatever can be used. Hopefully you
didn't send it to them.

Old June 8th 05, 02:28 AM
Slack

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
snip

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

Not a problem. Thanks for your help. I would definately like to know
if my assumptions that the cooling process after molding went too fast.

My guess would be lack of heat treating. If you want to send me the
busted piece, I can do a hardness test on it. If we know what kind of
material it is, I can look up the hardness spec and compare it to the
actual.

And if this is the case, they damn well better warranty it.
--
Slack
Old June 8th 05, 02:39 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Slack wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
snip

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

Not a problem. Thanks for your help. I would definately like to know
if my assumptions that the cooling process after molding went too fast.

My guess would be lack of heat treating. If you want to send me the
busted piece, I can do a hardness test on it. If we know what kind of
material it is, I can look up the hardness spec and compare it to the
actual.

And if this is the case, they damn well better warranty it.
--
Slack

I sent it to them. It's an aluminum composite, whatever that means.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 8th 05, 01:23 PM
Duncan

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
snip

That just isn't right. When Jim used to have a SRAM group on his bike, he
used to ride the hell out of his derailleurs until they fell apart, then

he
would do a little complaining at a bike show festival and they would

replace
it free of charge even tho it was obviously well used. He managed to do it
twice before he sold the bike.

Sounds similair to what happens in Melbourne. Not sure what his exact
position is but a guy called Rob Eva represents SRAM around here and he
seems to do a great job. He's nearly always at big races offering support
and he personaly visits a lot of LBSs to sort out problems.
It might help that he's been a National DH and XC champion many times so he
lives and breathes what he does.

Not sure if it's relevant to R-a-L's original problem but a friend of mine
broke his SRAM rear derailer at the 05 nationals and Rob was able to replace
just the broken part for a small fraction of the cost of a whole new one.

Old June 9th 05, 04:01 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Slack wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
snip

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

Not a problem. Thanks for your help. I would definately like to
know if my assumptions that the cooling process after molding went
too fast.

My guess would be lack of heat treating. If you want to send me the
busted piece, I can do a hardness test on it. If we know what kind of
material it is, I can look up the hardness spec and compare it to the
actual.

And if this is the case, they damn well better warranty it.
--
Slack

I sent it to them. It's an aluminum composite, whatever that means.

Maybe aluminum/composite, meaning beercans/milk jugs.

By the way, I posted the link to rbt:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/messages/9d4b8bac20e826b8,2c726d309d2e0dd9,2628333e3091c9e8 ,f3183b3b52073eab,f525c955e5ff1ecf,52b0bda5ce671b6 c,5e686e559e3245c7?hl=en&thread_id=492e7dc7e6212ae b&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=sram+&_done=%2Fgroup% 2Frec.bicycles.tech%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F492e7d c7e6212aeb%2F5e686e559e3245c7%3Fq%3Dsram+%26rnum %3D6%26#doc_9d4b8bac20e826b8

or

http://snipurl.com/fghy

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 9th 05, 04:58 AM
Slack

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Slack wrote:

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
snip

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

Not a problem. Thanks for your help. I would definately like to
know if my assumptions that the cooling process after molding went
too fast.

My guess would be lack of heat treating. If you want to send me the
busted piece, I can do a hardness test on it. If we know what kind of
material it is, I can look up the hardness spec and compare it to the
actual.

And if this is the case, they damn well better warranty it.
--
Slack

I sent it to them. It's an aluminum composite, whatever that means.

Maybe aluminum/composite, meaning beercans/milk jugs.

Death to plastic ah ah!
--
Slack
Old June 9th 05, 11:23 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Slack wrote:

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

Interesting responses, especially the forged/cast comment. Tomorrow I
am taking off from work and going to the LBS. Hopefully, I'll find out
what the outcome will be but I've already ordered an X.0 (yeh, I'm a
glutten for punishment) to replace the X.9.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 11th 05, 02:49 PM
GeeDubb

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Interesting responses, especially the forged/cast comment. Tomorrow I
am taking off from work and going to the LBS. Hopefully, I'll find
out what the outcome will be but I've already ordered an X.0 (yeh,
I'm a glutten for punishment) to replace the X.9.

for what it's worth, I've broken two SRAM 9.0 but only after the rocks
jumped up and hammered them. One was scary, going on a very loose rocky
downhill and the derailleur broke and went into the spoke. How I managed
not to break any spokes is still puzzling. I got home by making the bike
into a single speed.

Other than those two occurances I've had zero problems with my SRAM's and I
always had problems with my Shimano XT's.

Gary

Old June 12th 05, 05:32 PM

Like yesterday I take apart the rear of the GT LST Team
to do a lube job. Well putting it together the bolt to the main frame
snapped just before it was tight. Put another bolt in same thing
happened. Next I tried one off my heattreated ones nice job it worked.