Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Old September 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Default Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Another question here.

How does this frame feel for stiffness? From what I know, Titanium is
pretty flexible... more than CrMo anyhow.. Aluminum on the other hand
is extremely stiff.

Danni wrote:
You just waisted five seconds of my time

Die in a fire, please.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

mscalisi wrote:
I have some advice.

Build titanium frames for 36ers!

Why?
Trials riders tend to be young guys, and generally young guys have less
$$$ for this kind of stuff. 36er riders tend to be older, and willing
to spend money on the good stuff!!

...food for thought.

edit: Now is a great time for this opportunity to sell frames. Lots of
people will want to optimise their setups for RTL.

We're not all old!

I'm talking to a framebuilder now about a Titanium 29er and 36'er. It
will only be for the std hubs though, I don't like the wide hubs.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Borgschulze wrote:
From what I know, Titanium is pretty flexible... more than CrMo anyhow..
Aluminum on the other hand is extremely stiff.

Please try to get your facts straight before making erroneous claims.
This is entirely untrue, in fact almost backwards.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Ok, change what I said to, Aluminum is stiffer than CrMo, where CrMo is
stiffer than Titanium. Therefore making Titanium more flexible than the
previous mentioned materials.

onelesscar wrote:
Please try to get your facts straight before making erroneous claims.
This is entirely untrue, in fact almost backwards.

'Hmmm?' (http://spokesmanbicycles.com/page.cfm?pageID=157)

Is what I said a fact of a claim? Please offer some bibliography to
what is true instead of just saying get your facts straight. According
to the link I posted, you are the backwards one.

Old September 18th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
r-cormier

REALLY wanna know the weight of theses frames... Also, when will you be
able to find out a price?

--
r-cormier
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Well, a quick look around reveals the 'Young's modulus'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus) of the different
materials. The higher the number, the stiffer it is:
CrMo Steel - 205 GPa
Titanium - 116 GPa
Aluminum - 70 GPa

A good article to read on the subject by 'Sheldon Brown.'
(http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html)

Borgschulze wrote:
According to the link I posted, you are the backwards one.

Um...no. It says aluminum -frames- are stiffer than steel frames.
That's because the manufacturers use larger diameter tubes to account
for aluminum's lower rigidity. The person making the frame can choose
how much metal to use in the frame; the more metal they use, the
stiffer it will be. Aluminum frames are -made- stiffer by using more
metal, and they can do this because it's lighter. This does not mean
aluminum is more rigid than steel.

This is frustrating to me because people make assumptions that frames
with cooler sounding metals will automatically be better.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

onelesscar wrote:
[...]

Ok, thank you for opening my eyes.

I wasn't totally backwards I guess, but I was wrong.

Based on the design of this frame, I'm going to guess it will be pretty
much equally as stiff, while also being lighter than the KH frame. The
Titanium used was limited to 1mm right? A KH frame from what I have
seen, is thicker than this, which means it makes up for the flexibility
right?

Just another note, my crappy DX frame is about 2mm thick... so that
means it would be incredibly stiff according to the numbers?

I hope to have a career in welding, but I am lazy sometimes and don't
like to look up information.. mainly because I can only work with mild
steel till I can afford better equipment, which will lead to more
research into different materials etc..

Thanks again for clarifying that information, sometimes articles can be
misinterpreted because of the way it has been written.

Old September 18th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

GizmoDuck wrote:
We're not all old!

I'm talking to a framebuilder now about a Titanium 29er and 36'er. It
will only be for the std hubs though, I don't like the wide hubs.

Sweet I'm also a small hub lover so that would be amazing.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

Danni wrote:

3) Who is your tester?

You dont need to know who the tester is... you can be sure when it will
survive the tests, it will survive nearly everything.

--
Smilymarco

'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com)

Lesen - Denken - Posten
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 18th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BYZA

i once read that it is not the material you use to create something but
what you do with the material whilst creating it

that said i believe this frame will be a sucess due to the design etc

also tell us some info on what it weighs and so on.

--
BYZA

improving each day
CRANKFLIP CHAMPION!! 1st place )---'O, Crankflip
latest vid Roll it, Roll it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB1nFn_OZx4

Street Dog (my older vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM6vbhc5xs
thats my msn right there
http://www.usenet.com