Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Old March 3rd 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick

Default Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Are there any freehub alternatives (preferably noisy ones!) by other
manufacturers to fit Shimano hubs?

I know it sounds petty and have had no problems with Shimano freehubs,
but I need to replace the freehub on one of my wheels and would prefer
it to sound noisy like another of my rear wheels with a Hope hub.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 3rd 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 3, 7:00*am, Nick wrote:
Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Are there any freehub alternatives (preferably noisy ones!) by other
manufacturers to fit Shimano hubs?

I know it sounds petty and have had no problems with Shimano freehubs,
but I need to replace the freehub on one of my wheels and would prefer
it to sound noisy like another of my rear wheels with a Hope hub.

It's never going to sound like a Hope, but you can certainly flush it
and lube it with lighter oil before you install it, and it'll be a
little clickier.
Old March 3rd 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
It's never going to sound like a Hope, but you can certainly flush it
and lube it with lighter oil before you install it, and it'll be a
little clickier.

Or something like this:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_z2s_w5rHJAg/Sz...pins_cards.jpg

http://preview.tinyurl.com/47ltjzz

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 3rd 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick

Ha ha! Yes, nice one I was waiting for that suggestion! Thanks!

The flushing idea sounds interesting....do you mean lighter fluid
rather than oil? Presumably white spirit would achieve a similar
result? I would imagine they might wear out quicker too?

Thanks both!

Cheers,

Nick
Old March 3rd 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Nick wrote:
Ha ha! Yes, nice one I was waiting for that suggestion! Thanks!

The flushing idea sounds interesting....do you mean lighter fluid
rather than oil? Presumably white spirit would achieve a similar
result? I would imagine they might wear out quicker too?

Um, wouldn't lighter fluid evaporate completely? It will certainly wear
faster.

Light oil, as in sewing machine oil would be better. Just service more
frequently as this stuff will run passed seals easily.

It might be possible to stretch the springs that force the pawls out,
depending on the internals.

JS.
Old March 3rd 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

On Mar 3, 7:00*am, Nick wrote:
Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Are there any freehub alternatives (preferably noisy ones!) by other
manufacturers to fit Shimano hubs?

I know it sounds petty and have had no problems with Shimano freehubs,
but I need to replace the freehub on one of my wheels and would prefer
it to sound noisy like another of my rear wheels with a Hope hub.

Thanks in advance!

Baseball card and cloths pin.
Coz
Old March 3rd 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 3, 3:30*pm, James wrote:
Nick wrote:
Ha ha! Yes, nice one I was waiting for that suggestion! *Thanks!

The flushing idea sounds interesting....do you mean lighter fluid
rather than oil? Presumably white spirit would achieve a similar
result? I would imagine they might wear out quicker too?

Um, wouldn't lighter fluid evaporate completely? *It will certainly wear
faster.

Light oil, as in sewing machine oil would be better. *Just service more
frequently as this stuff will run passed seals easily.

Motor oil works fine as well.
Old March 4th 11, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

On Mar 3, 8:00*am, Nick wrote:
Shimano freehub noisier alternatives? Advice sought please.

Are there any freehub alternatives (preferably noisy ones!) by other
manufacturers to fit Shimano hubs?

I know it sounds petty and have had no problems with Shimano freehubs,
but I need to replace the freehub on one of my wheels and would prefer
it to sound noisy like another of my rear wheels with a Hope hub.

Thanks in advance!

Some recordings of feehub sounds emanate from Youtube videos. Chris
King are famously loud. But, your question of compatibility with a
Shimano hub is unanswered 6 replies in.

Harry Travis
Old March 4th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:56:34 -0800 (PST), TheCoz
wrote:

Baseball card and cloths pin.

That doesn't signal to the other members of the tour that you have
spotted a sign that says "iced tea".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net