Material That Can Take Some Sweat Without Smelling?

Old March 1st 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Material That Can Take Some Sweat Without Smelling?

Per Peter Cole:
I once wore a (synthetic) fleece sock on one
foot, marino wool on the other of approximately the same weight, both
feet got dunked, wet fleece is much warmer than wet wool.

I have a trooper hat, high-count something-or-other on the
outside, fleece on the inside.

It's main use is for windsurfing on cold days and it's warm even
when soaking wet in 25+ mph winds.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 1st 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/1/2011 9:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Peter Cole:
I once wore a (synthetic) fleece sock on one
foot, marino wool on the other of approximately the same weight, both
feet got dunked, wet fleece is much warmer than wet wool.

I have a trooper hat, high-count something-or-other on the
outside, fleece on the inside.

It's main use is for windsurfing on cold days and it's warm even
when soaking wet in 25+ mph winds.

Yes, some fleece is used for water sport suits as a thin neoprene
alternative.
Old March 1st 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 28, 11:12*pm, john B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:15:29 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski

wrote:
On Feb 27, 4:36 pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 27-2-2011 22:08, Frank Krygowski schreef:

On Feb 27, 12:49 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 27, 7:45 am, wrote:

Can anybody suggest a material?

Wool.

Seconded. But I prefer it in the form of a cap, not a square I have
to tie in place.

You wear wool in the summer? Odd.

Well, it's actually winter now where I live. *I thought that was true
for the OP as well.

I have worn wool jerseys in the summer, quite comfortably. *But in
summer I won't normally have it on my head.

- Frank Krygowski

I seem to remember an time when wool was the material of choice for
bicycle apparel.

We admit to being that old.
Old March 1st 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 1, 2:45*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
On 3/1/2011 9:27 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Peter Cole:
I once wore a (synthetic) fleece sock on one
foot, marino wool on the other of approximately the same weight, both
feet got dunked, wet fleece is much warmer than wet wool.

I have a trooper hat, high-count something-or-other on the
outside, fleece on the inside.

It's main use is for windsurfing on cold days and it's warm even
when soaking wet in 25+ mph winds.

Yes, some fleece is used for water sport suits as a thin neoprene
alternative.

This thread is an absolute delight of esoteric knowledge. Just about
the only thing in it I did know is that silk shirts rot in the
armpits. I still have some silk shirts off the last bolt of
Macclesfield silk that my fashion director bought jonks ago, and fully
intend to be buried in one, when I won't be perspiring...
Old March 1st 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Feb 27, 12:49 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 27, 7:45 am, wrote:

Can anybody suggest a material?

Wool.

Seconded. But I prefer it in the form of a cap, not a square I have
to tie in place.

You wear wool in the summer? Odd.

Well, it's actually winter now where I live. I thought that was true
for the OP as well.

I have worn wool jerseys in the summer, quite comfortably. But in
summer I won't normally have it on my head.

- Frank Krygowski

I seem to remember an time when wool was the material of choice for
bicycle apparel.

So were solid tires.

Not since I've been on the scene :-) However hyping wool is very much
re-inventing the wheel.

Old March 4th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

On Feb 27, 12:49 pm, Dan * *wrote:
On Feb 27, 7:45 am, * *wrote:

Can anybody suggest a material?

Wool.

Seconded. *But I prefer it in the form of a cap, not a square I have
to tie in place.

You wear wool in the summer? Odd.

Well, it's actually winter now where I live. *I thought that was true
for the OP as well.

I have worn wool jerseys in the summer, quite comfortably. *But in
summer I won't normally have it on my head.

- Frank Krygowski

I seem to remember an time when wool was the material of choice for
bicycle apparel.

So were solid tires.

Not since I've been on the scene :-) However hyping wool is very much
re-inventing the wheel.

OP had a concern for odor. Thin tight-yarn South African all-wool
cycling socks (Balaga) were a rediscovery to me several years ago.
(Completely flat seams, tool) Just as little cotton is raw any longer,
so too for wool, so I don't know where the "smells like sheep" comment
comes from, unless that poster has something like Irish fisherman
sweaters and cheap socks in mind.
On polyprop. The Balagas wore wonderfully well, but recent necessary
replacements where polyprop substitutes (strengthens?) for some of the
wool seems not to compromise the stink-resistance much or at all.

Bacteria and what they produce seem and likely are different at other
parts of the body than for the feet. Wool is still an effective odor
suppressants or bacteria colony retardants, but there are limits. Like
wood chopping boards, I suppose.

Harry Travis
Old March 4th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On Feb 27, 12:49 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 27, 7:45 am, wrote:

[...]

The problem with wool for a warm weather head covering is that it
doesn't have the wicking characteristics you want in such a garment.
Modern synthetic wicking fabrics are made with extremely fine fibers
which create a lot of surface area for evaporation and strong capillary
action. Since the fibers are hydrophobic, they don't absorb water into
the fiber itself (like many natural fibers), but only the space between
the fibers.

The downside of synthetics is that they generally will absorb skin oils
into the fiber and any oil-soluble smelly compounds with them. Some
modern synthetic fibers are impregnated with antibiotic silver
compounds, which prevent bacteria colonization.

I like wool socks, but they're prone to abrasion wear and stretch out of
shape easily, particularly when wet. Blending in some synthetic yarn is
the typical improvement for both issues. For wet weather, I prefer
synthetic fleece socks, they dry much faster and have better wet warmth.

pass the smelling salts wafflycat UK 8 April 26th 06 05:10 PM
Sweat Not Responding UK 12 September 16th 05 03:07 PM
no sweat 1oki General 23 May 13th 05 11:20 PM
Polystyrene: The Wonder Material Just zis Guy, you know? UK 15 May 18th 04 03:07 PM
smelling spring loki General 45 March 23rd 04 04:47 AM