can['t wear the chain out

Old July 21st 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default can['t wear the chain out

On 20/07/2019 23:06, wrote:
Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I
keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak
in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The
cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my
chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe
another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that
long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I
general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can
chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's
II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette?
I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I
have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and
not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

Dry miles only and good chain care will keep them going past 3K ime, but
6K+! As others have suggested, I suspect measurement error. Otoh, if
it's not showing skipping/shifting issues, why not carry on?
Old July 21st 19, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Update Chain Change can['t wear the chain out

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Deacon Mark

Ok did not measure wrong I repair guitars for a living even very expensive ones exacting work. I can measure and get to the thousandths if need. I put the new chain on an it was stretched but not all that much I think I could have gone farther. The catch is my calculations were incorrect it was not divine intervention I have between 5400 and 5800 miles on the chain not kilometers. That would make sense I seem to get at least 5000 then change sometime after regardless.

Ok so the new Shimano ultegra does not skip at all spins fine. Now more questions about the quick link. I normally do not like the usual quick links that come with the chain so I get a Wipperman Connex 11 speed connector. I find these great easy to use. But I have use this one for the above mileage or would you all change it out too? The chain comes with a Shimano Quick link that seems more complicated to work than the Wipperman. Are they just as easy to undue and reconnect. The wipperman you can do by hand then drop your chain in OMS to clean. The Shimano they seem to say it is a one time deal do not re-use.

I take and thoughts or advice to the above. While I am at it did check and verify my Conti GP4000 II's are at over 6000 miles. With them this morning with no wind in any direction I was able to get 50 miles in 2:33 1t 19.6 mph. I tell you right now all the riding I have done lately is destroying my running. My running legs are gone I hope I can get them back but striding out is weird.

Deacon Mark

Old July 21st 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 9:30:37 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 2:06:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Stop passing me so fast on the climbs Maryjo.

You don't have much to worry about unless you're climbing through the corn fields of Illinois.

Combining two threads, next weekend is climbing with my son in SLC -- heat and elevation. Next up, Empire to Guardsman. https://pjammcycling.com/climb/164.E...y-Utah-Cycling The final grade up Guardsman is stair-step on ruined chip seal. I don't know if I'll make it in 100F heat.

There are some serious old-guy cyclists in SLC. The masters' racing scene is ferocious. They even had a doping scandal (no kidding) a few years ago -- a bunch of old dopers duking it out for those big masters' prize lists, like a water bottle.

Coming from mild weather and sea level and being an old guy myself, I just ride to survive in the Wasatch. If some old doper wants to kick my ass -- have at it. I'll bring my Portland jersey so they know I'm not local, although my pale legs are a give-away. White legs are a safety feature and give me better visibility in low light.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 21st 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 12:03:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Some time ago I did a survey of various manufacturer's quick links.
This was before 11 speed chains were available.

At they time, in general, there were two distinct versions, One which
seemed to be used by most makers for 9 speed could be opened or closed
by hand by simply squeezing the flat links together and sliding the
two sides toward each other. The 10 speed links, and some of the 9
speed links, all required some sort of tool, or extremely strong
fingers as the "lock" was a slight projection in the slot that the
pins fitted.

In general all makers said something about "one time use" or "use a
new link with a new chain". The general consensus of opinion, at that
time, was that single use meant with one chain.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 22nd 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 5:44:37 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12:55:48 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:

After that I did an extra loop alone (most of the others had to be home
early) of 55 km: 34.5 km/hr and 205 Watt average . Perfect weather
(19-23C and not to windy), flat and we have very good roads indeed ;-)

Lou

Forgot to mention that on the end of my ride it was E bike rush hour.
Sunday nice weather at 12.00 - 13.00 hr. I kept my cool and kept polite
but man you have to pay attention...

Lou

Did 80km today but the weather forecast was not good so much of my regular
guys didn’t show. Two of us hung with a faster group and came back with a
32k/h avg. 300 m of rollers. A lot of fun.

The forecasted thunderstorms never came but it was 32c with a humidex of
40. We had a cold rainy spring but summer seems to have arrived with a
vengeance.

To get back on topic, when I got home I opened a beer and cleaned my chain
and washed the bike. Took less time than it did to drink two beers.

--
duane
Old July 23rd 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12:03:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Indeed you can get a whole lot of miles on a chain if you are not stressing it. Most of the riders here do not ride hard enough to wear out chains very rapidly. I was making perhaps 1,850 miles on a chain until I've changed over to "gold" chains which have a titanium oxide finish on them and wear a LONG time. How long I don't have enough miles yet to know. But I don't have more than a 1,000 miles on one of them yet. But they show no wear whatsoever at this point.
Old July 23rd 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 1:55:44 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Jay, be absolutely certain to start at or very near daybreak. I'm extremely resistance to sunburn and actually blistered in Phoenix. So riding in broad daylight in that area is not a good thing. And 100 suntan lotion is the order of the day.
Old July 23rd 19, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Chain wear:
OP didn’t say what care he took to maintain the chain. I’d like to think that staying out of grit and (somewhat time consuming) maintenance and lubrication could double of triple chain life compared to just lubrication.

But, fair to note that if market competition can drive chain price down to say $25, that you’d rather ride than clean chain, dispose of greasy solvents, and wash your hands afterward for $6/hour.

Chain Wear Jim UK 10 September 19th 07 10:25 PM
Chain Wear Noel UK 12 October 14th 06 07:01 PM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM