Better kickstand ?

Old August 1st 19, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Better kickstand ?

I am looking for a better kickstand for my mountain bike.

Despite using a lock washer and loctite, the hex screw is constantly coming loose.

I need a kickstand because many places have no place to lean my bike against.

Thanks,
Andy

Old August 1st 19, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 6:23:21 AM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am looking for a better kickstand for my mountain bike.

Despite using a lock washer and loctite, the hex screw is constantly coming loose.

I need a kickstand because many places have no place to lean my bike against.

Thanks,
Andy

I use the chainstay/seatstay mounted kickstands and have NEVER had one of them come loose.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...7660051905972/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...7662011679681/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...7662011679681/

Cheers

Old August 2nd 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Different locktite (tm)? Better lockwasher?
Old August 2nd 19, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 03:23:19 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I am looking for a better kickstand for my mountain bike.
Despite using a lock washer and loctite, the hex screw is constantly coming loose.
I need a kickstand because many places have no place to lean my bike against.

Think about trying a bipod or center kickstand:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+bipod+kickstand&tbm=isch
With the common monopod variety, there is some torque trying to rotate
the kickstand around the mounting bolt. With a symmetrical bipod,
there is less (not zero) rotational forces on the bolt.

Also, I did some brainstorming of various bicycle top tube kickstands.
The consensus in this newsgroup was that they all stunk. I agree:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/PVC-kickstand.html
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/kickstand-v2.html
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/kickstand-v3.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 2nd 19, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The pic with the toilet plunger is SO NOT FUNNY.

Shame on you.

Old August 3rd 19, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 00:10:25 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 10:52:14 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/kickstand-v2.html

The pic with the toilet plunger is SO NOT FUNNY.
Shame on you.

Well, if the toiler plunger offends thee, substitute a rubber hand or
foot. They all serve the same purpose, which is to prevent the top
tube mounted kickstand from sliding sideways on the pavement. The
plunger has other bicycle related uses:
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/07/10/miraculous-safety-toilet-plungers-fix-fifth-avenue-mixing-zones-for-just-4-99/
https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/advocates-glue-toilet-plungers-onto-omaha-street-to-show-what/article_7e9cff18-8aa4-5884-a6f3-d038a6e5a9c9.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 3rd 19, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 6:44:47 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. The
plunger has other bicycle related uses:
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/07/10/miraculous-safety-toilet-plungers-fix-fifth-avenue-mixing-zones-for-just-4-99/

Whatever happened to those happy days when one was not only free to run over cyclists in Manhattan, but everyone knew it was the socially responsible thing to keep their numbers below critical mass? Toilet plungers on Fifth Avenue just proves that, if we'd done our duty back then, the world would be a better place.

Andre Jute
Nostalgia
Old August 3rd 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 03:27:22 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 6:44:47 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. The
plunger has other bicycle related uses:
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/07/10/miraculous-safety-toilet-plungers-fix-fifth-avenue-mixing-zones-for-just-4-99/

Whatever happened to those happy days when one was not only free to
run over cyclists in Manhattan, but everyone knew it was the socially
responsible thing to keep their numbers below critical mass?

The problem was that the planned mass extermination of New York city
bicyclists was identified as an ecological concern. The species must
be protected, starting by protecting the bicycle lanes with toilet
plungers. This was highly successful as vehicle drivers were
distracted by the toilet plungers from their duty to exterminate
bicyclists. The result was an uncontrolled increase in the number of
New York city bicyclists, who are rapidly approaching critical mass.
The surest signs of success are pollution and over subscription.
Bicycles in New York appear to be quite successful.

Toilet plungers on Fifth Avenue just proves that, if we'd done our
duty back then, the world would be a better place.

Sorry, but you cannot turn back the clock, restore the previous status
quo, or put the genie back into the bottle. However, you are allowed
to blunder forward and protest in any manner deemed socially
acceptable. For example, re-purposing the toilet plungers into
bicycle jousting weapons might inspire a fad that will lead to the
population of New York city bicyclists becoming self-limiting.

The Daleks knew how to weaponize a toilet plunger:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=toilet+plunger+dalek

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 4th 19, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 4:32:20 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 03:27:22 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

The surest signs of success are pollution and over subscription.
Bicycles in New York appear to be quite successful.

The smart thing would be to leave bicycle promotion to the federal government. Soon nobody will want to be a cyclist and the streets will be clear for drag races.

Toilet plungers on Fifth Avenue just proves that, if we'd done our
duty back then, the world would be a better place.

For example, re-purposing the toilet plungers into
bicycle jousting weapons might inspire a fad that will lead to the
population of New York city bicyclists becoming self-limiting.

Or failing that, we could design a toilet plunger that, apologies for the pun, plunges into the spokes of random bicycles. (Hard luck on the passing elite automobilist with Borrani wheels...)

The Daleks knew how to weaponize a toilet plunger:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=toilet+plunger+dalek

Douglas Adams, who was the story editor of Doctor Who at a stage (maybe c1978/9) when I thought it should already have been well-funded because it was so clearly successful, told me the show in his time with it was always short of cash and had to make do with toilet plungers and suchlike cheap household items many times. We shared a publisher and would run into each other and lunch at the Venezia in London. Douglas was well-accustomed to recycling everything several times; his break-through novel Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy was from a pitch-script for Doctor Who that wasn't made, though he got a job in television out of it. (You'd better check these facts and especially the chronology, perhaps on an Adams fan site, before you tell them to someone else. I can't be bothered to fact-check every anecdote because a clown car of worthless twits insist on proving they have bigger dicks than mine because they can type "wikipedia".) I hesitated, especially with food on the table, to ask Douglas whether the toilet plungers were recycled...

Andre Jute
Some alien musta dunnit, Sergeant