Serious Torker Bearing help.

Old March 1st 05, 12:25 AM
cyberpunk

Default Serious Torker Bearing help.

Okay, I ordered some bearings for my torker DX going by the exact
bearing size labeled around the bearing seal.

6203-2RS

Anyways when they came in the mai I quickly tore of the old broken
bearing, and slaped on the new one, but to my dismay, it didn't fit, I
then examined the bearing, and it had some weird ass numbers along it
i've never seen, so I called the the place I purchased them from and
they assured me they were the correct size, and I must have an
un-standard size which they don't carry, but they were incredibly cool
about it, and told me to just keep the bearings and credited my
acount.

(please give me a moment to selflessly promote vxb.com for there stellar
customer support)

Anyhow, I just need help! I really need a new bearing for my DX, any
other dx owners out there that have found bearings for theres i'd
greatly apretiate to know where from!

P.S. The bearings I ordered were the correct width, and OD the ID was
just to small by about a mm or two.

--
cyberpunk - lvl Four Unicyclist

Quick Press ctrl+W
cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old March 1st 05, 12:51 AM
john_childs

Yes, that bearing size has been a problem. It's a nonstandard size.
The Torker DX bearing has a 40mm OD and a 20mm ID. A standard 6203
bearing has a 40mm OD and a 19mm ID.

I just called Torker USA (Seattle Bike Supply) and asked their sales
department. They carry a replacement bearing for the Torker DX. It's
not in their current catalog so the bike shop will have to call SBS
(Seattle Bike Supply) to get the part number and order it. So the
solution appears to be to have your local bike shop order it from Torker
USA.

I don't know how much the replacement bearings are through Torker USA.
You'll have to find that out from your bike shop. At least replacement
bearings seem to be available. Will the first person who manages to get
a replacement DX bearing from Torker please confirm?

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

Old March 1st 05, 01:06 AM
john_childs

The other option is to follow Jagur's idea in this thread: 'Where Can I
buy Torker DX bearings?' (http://tinyurl.com/5tsyk) and file down the
splines so that a standard 6203 bearing (40mm OD, 19mm ID, 12mm width)
will fit on the hub.

If you don't want to go at it by hand with a file you may be able to get
a machine shop to do it. An automotive machine shop will have a lathe
and maybe they can fit a 20" wheel on the lathe but doubtful a 24" wheel
would fit.

But careful work by hand with a file should get it all to fit and then
you'll be able to use the bog standard 6203 bearings which you can get
for cheap (and that you already have on hand).

Otherwise you're going to be forever relying on Torker to stock that
magical bearing size that they use on the DX. At some time in the
future it's not going to be available any longer.

Old March 1st 05, 01:31 AM
cyberpunk

I would shave down the splines, but i'm afraid that wouldn't even be
small enough, the standard 6203-2RS bearing wont even fit over the first
set of splines, and although the picture of the second set splines in
that thread look incriminating, they actually don't stick out that much,
a 1/4 of a mm at most. I still need 3/4 of a mm. or the correct bearing
^^.

Old March 1st 05, 01:32 AM
harper

john_childs wrote:
* A standard 6203 bearing has a 40mm OD and a 19mm ID.

*

JC, being the ONLY main man is rarely incorrect. However, a standard
6203 bearing has a 17mm ID.

--
harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

JC is the ONLY main man. (except for Ken Looi)

Old March 1st 05, 01:53 AM
S_Wallis

harper wrote:
*JC, being the ONLY main man is rarely incorrect. However, a standard
6203 bearing has a 17mm ID. *

And there are other versions of the 6203 bearing. The last 40mm x 19mm
bearings I bought were labeled 6203 2RS C3 3/4 SRI2 and the bearing
house refers to them as 6203-3/4inch.
The main thing to remember is, sometimes several bearing sizes share the
same seal, so don't order replacements from the seal number alone.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old March 1st 05, 01:58 AM
jagur

cyberpunk wrote:
*I would shave down the splines, but i'm afraid that wouldn't even be
small enough, the standard 6203-2RS bearing wont even fit over the
first set of splines*

get 40x19mm bearings and it work, sounds like you have 40x17mm.....bad
boy.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old March 1st 05, 02:02 AM
john_childs

harper wrote:
*JC, being the ONLY main man is rarely incorrect. However, a standard
6203 bearing has a 17mm ID. *

My bad. There's different flavors of 6203 bearings. The bog standard
6203 bearing has a 17mm ID. They also make a 6203 bearing that has a
19.05mm (3/4 inch) ID but that's not your typical 6203. If you want the
3/4 inch ID version you have to specifically ask for it. If you just
ask for a 6203 bearing you're going to get the 17mm ID flavor.

Damn bearing standards.

Old March 1st 05, 06:14 AM
cyberpunk

Yeah well i'll trade anyone two standard size unicycle bearings for one
DX size, pluss i'll pay for all shipping charges.

Old March 1st 05, 06:33 AM
daino149

cyberpunk wrote:
*Yeah well i'll trade anyone two standard size unicycle bearings for
one DX size, pluss i'll pay for all shipping charges. *

If you do that, you'll still need one more DX bearing

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

free rotating wheels? XWonka Unicycling 10 August 13th 06 03:45 AM
moving my bearing karl-the-frogman Unicycling 15 March 1st 05 06:36 PM
Bearing cap torque underdog Unicycling 7 August 5th 04 07:42 PM
Bearing holders mgrant Unicycling 13 February 11th 04 03:53 AM