bike budget planning/estimation

Old September 13th 04, 11:03 PM
Bruce Edge

Default bike budget planning/estimation

No, not a budget bike, a bike budget.

I remember seeing an article on how much riding costs per day. I think
that was road though. Anyone have a link to it?

Or, anyone have any educated guesses on what a 12hr / week or so habit
of hard trail riding costs long term? Assuming no crashing, just normal
wear, unwasheable stench, tread life, metal fatigue, battery life, etc.

You know, consumables, wheels every couple of years, a frame every so
often, lights, shoes, ibuprofin, helmets, brake pads, grips.....

All I know is I blow a lot of dough on it.

-Bruce
Old September 14th 04, 01:47 PM
Carla A-G

"Bruce Edge" wrote in message
No, not a budget bike, a bike budget.

I remember seeing an article on how much riding costs per day. I think
that was road though. Anyone have a link to it?

Or, anyone have any educated guesses on what a 12hr / week or so habit
of hard trail riding costs long term? Assuming no crashing, just normal
wear, unwasheable stench, tread life, metal fatigue, battery life, etc.

You know, consumables, wheels every couple of years, a frame every so
often, lights, shoes, ibuprofin, helmets, brake pads, grips.....

All I know is I blow a lot of dough on it.

-Bruce

Don't bother analyzing it...just go out and ride...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 14th 04, 04:10 PM
Bruce Edge

Carla A-G wrote:
"Bruce Edge" wrote in message

No, not a budget bike, a bike budget.

I remember seeing an article on how much riding costs per day. I think
that was road though. Anyone have a link to it?

Or, anyone have any educated guesses on what a 12hr / week or so habit
of hard trail riding costs long term? Assuming no crashing, just normal
wear, unwasheable stench, tread life, metal fatigue, battery life, etc.

You know, consumables, wheels every couple of years, a frame every so
often, lights, shoes, ibuprofin, helmets, brake pads, grips.....

All I know is I blow a lot of dough on it.

-Bruce

Don't bother analyzing it...just go out and ride...

- CA-G

That's the problem, I do, and I spend whatever it takes to keep doing it.
My wife's trying to plan finances, and this is wildcard that keeps
messing everything up.
If I could come up with a figure, it'd make her life easier.

-Bruce
Old September 14th 04, 05:11 PM
Carla A-G

"Bruce Edge" wrote in message
Carla A-G wrote:
"Bruce Edge" wrote in message

[...]

In that case, $5,000...that should hold you off for a while...

:-)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 14th 04, 05:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-09-14, Bruce Edge penned:

That's the problem, I do, and I spend whatever it takes to keep doing it.
My wife's trying to plan finances, and this is wildcard that keeps messing
everything up. If I could come up with a figure, it'd make her life easier.

As someone who's never been able to stick to a budget, I sympathize.

Maybe you should look at it from the other side. How much can you, as a
family, afford to spend on entertainment? From there, how much of that can
you take for your own personal entertainment? From there, you find out how
much you can afford to spend on biking.

Fact is, you can spend an infinite amount of money on any hobby. You have to
look at how much you can actually *afford* to spend.

As I said, I've never been able to stick to a budget. But if I were going to
do so, I'd work it from that direction.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old September 14th 04, 06:10 PM
Bruce Edge

On 2004-09-14, Bruce Edge penned:

That's the problem, I do, and I spend whatever it takes to keep doing it.
My wife's trying to plan finances, and this is wildcard that keeps messing
everything up. If I could come up with a figure, it'd make her life easier.

As someone who's never been able to stick to a budget, I sympathize.

Maybe you should look at it from the other side. How much can you, as a
family, afford to spend on entertainment? From there, how much of that can
you take for your own personal entertainment? From there, you find out how
much you can afford to spend on biking.

Fact is, you can spend an infinite amount of money on any hobby. You have to
look at how much you can actually *afford* to spend.

As I said, I've never been able to stick to a budget. But if I were going to
do so, I'd work it from that direction.

That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it would take a lot of planning
and estimation too.

I guess I need to just go back and pull up all charges from
performance/supergo/etc and average them.

My last big screw up was when I sold my frame to get a kona coiler
frame. The guy I sold it to found a crack in it, so I had to refund the
$$$. There's a $1K whack I hadn't planned on.

Maybe road biking wouldn't break so much stuff....

....nah, I could never do that. :-)

-Bruce
Old September 14th 04, 06:29 PM
BB

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:03:39 -0700, Bruce Edge wrote:

Or, anyone have any educated guesses on what a 12hr / week or so habit
of hard trail riding costs long term? Assuming no crashing, just normal
wear, unwasheable stench, tread life, metal fatigue, battery life, etc.

Depends a lot on the level of equipment you purchase. Bikes can cost
anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars; helmets can cost
anywhere from $20 to $150.

Assuming you're riding a $1200 bike, set aside $50/month, and you'll have
enough to purchase a new bike every 4 years, plus $300/year for extras. If
you don't buy a bike every 4 years, you'll have extra money to cover other
stuff - like a trip to Moab & Fruita. :-)

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old September 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Bruce Edge

BB wrote:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:03:39 -0700, Bruce Edge wrote:

Or, anyone have any educated guesses on what a 12hr / week or so habit
of hard trail riding costs long term? Assuming no crashing, just normal
wear, unwasheable stench, tread life, metal fatigue, battery life, etc.

Depends a lot on the level of equipment you purchase. Bikes can cost
anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars; helmets can cost
anywhere from $20 to $150.

Assuming you're riding a $1200 bike, set aside $50/month, and you'll have
enough to purchase a new bike every 4 years, plus $300/year for extras. If
you don't buy a bike every 4 years, you'll have extra money to cover other
stuff - like a trip to Moab & Fruita. :-)

I guess I'm spoiled. I rarely buy anything new, but I have a 3K+ rig.

I was thinking around $150/month min. Just consider the consumables:

Drivetrain and shifting components, there's $500 of components that will
all fail sooner or later.

Twisted a chain, and bent crap out of chain ring & front derr, there's a
$100.

Tires/wheels, another several hundred.

Oops destroyed a rim, $100 min.

New light for winter (I ride early). Hmmm HID? $300 easy.

Not to mention things like shorts.
How many of you are riding on shorts with no chamois left?

Catch jacket on tree you tried to squeeze under and get ripped of your
bike by your sleeve? Kmart $10 or Pearl Izumi $150 ?

$30 for crappy XC shirts that never lose their stench after a few
months. (Although, that doesn't stop me wearing them)

Fork seals, brake pads, shock rebuilds.

Hmmm, wonder what Pete F. kicks down on bike stuff & video gear :-)

-Bruce
Old September 14th 04, 10:13 PM
small change

Bruce Edge wrote:left?

send it to me for repair. (www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp)

$30 for crappy XC shirts that never lose their stench after a few
months. (Although, that doesn't stop me wearing them)

google "stinky bike gear" laundry recipe...

Fork seals, brake pads, shock rebuilds.

can't help you there.

penny

Old September 14th 04, 11:00 PM
Bruce Edge

small change wrote:
Bruce Edge wrote:left?

Catch jacket on tree you tried to squeeze under and get ripped of your
bike by your sleeve? Kmart $10 or Pearl Izumi $150 ?

send it to me for repair. (www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp)

You got it. If it's worth fixing anyways.
The only pearl izumi jacket I have is one I found in the mud :-) Just
happened to be my size too.

$30 for crappy XC shirts that never lose their stench after a few
months. (Although, that doesn't stop me wearing them)

google "stinky bike gear" laundry recipe...

Every bit helps. Thanks.

-Bruce