Breathable, stowable, reflective, comfortable cycling jacket?

Old October 10th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Breathable, stowable, reflective, comfortable cycling jacket?

I’m looking for a new jacket to ride with for the fall and milder
winter days. The windbreaker I’m currently using has fleece lined
cuffs, neck and waist. It’s very comfortable, and I like it a lot.
Problems are

1) Doesn’t stow into itself. This means when I store it in a water
bottle cage, over time some part works its way out and flaps my leg or
gets too close to the chain rings.
2) It’s black, with no reflective stuff. Not exactly ideal for
nighttime commuting, which will be one of this jackets primary uses.
3) No rear pocket or cell pocket. I end up with my phone/mp3 player in
my pants pocket, which is workable but not ideal. I don’t really have
anywhere comfortable to put much else. I'd say cell phone pocket is an
optional bonus, rear pocket is a must.
4) A tad short on the rear. Not surprising, since it’s not a cycling
jacket.

I’m not too concerned with breathability, more wind and water
resistance. When I get too hot I’ll take it off, stow it in itself and
jam it in an unused water bottle cage.

Any suggestions? Anything to stay away from?

Thanks,

Dan
Old October 10th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

The best I have found thus far is the Showers Pass Elite jacket. Just
get a small stuff sack and stick it in a pocket, put it in the stuff
sack when you take it off and it will fit easily into a water bottle
cage.
Old October 10th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 10, 12:55*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
The best I have found thus far is the Showers Pass Elite jacket. *Just
get a small stuff sack and stick it in a pocket, put it in the stuff
sack when you take it off and it will fit easily into a water bottle
cage.

That looks like a really nice jacket. Not sure if I'm willing to
commit $200+ to it though. The small stuff sack is a great idea - I
might be able to handle this whole issue with one of those and a bunch
of reflective tape. I think my rain jacket is small enough to fit in
the cage in a thin sack as well. Great idea, thanks! Now to try to
hunt down an appropriately sized sack...
Old October 11th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Wolff Den

For on the bike storage of light rain gear, wind vests or shells, and
the like; twist 'em into one of the large mouth water bottles and
screw the cap back on. Stuff a cheapie hotel shower cap in the bottom
two for those really hard rains if you have 'em. Works best on my long
distance frames that have a third bottle cage under the down tube, but
I only need one bottle of fluids on my commuter so I always have a
rain shell when it's a damp ride home from the office. Use an older,
beat up, and non-clear bottle and it's safe left on the bike. Who
would take your grubby looking old bottle.

MW

Jacksonville, Fla / Team Diurnal
PBP - 2007, 2003
Cascade - 2005
BMB - 2000, 2002

Old October 12th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
The best I have found thus far is the Showers Pass Elite jacket. Just
get a small stuff sack and stick it in a pocket, put it in the stuff
sack when you take it off and it will fit easily into a water bottle
cage.

This looks like a great jacket! The zippers look first-rate. I really like
the outside breast pocket. And it comes in my favorite color - black - so I
just bought one from bicyclinghub.com.

I have had several Goretex jackets recently, and I have not been thrilled
with them. Showers Pass claims the eVent fabric is significantly better than
Goretex. So we will see. But neither hi tech fabric is cheap.

I will be wearing this jacket as an outer layer from Nov through March on my
daily commute in Chicago, so (to me) it is worth the money.

J.

waterproof breathable jacket that fits in a jersey pocket mtb Dad Techniques 5 February 25th 06 04:50 AM
Who has the best waterproof and breathable jacket? chris c General 17 February 19th 06 03:02 PM
cycling jacket Simon Woodford UK 2 December 18th 04 02:12 PM
FA: Biemme Cycling Jacket, Sequoia Winter Jacket/Vest. Size Large toronto-rider Marketplace 2 November 8th 04 02:58 PM
Breathable cycling jacket recommendations...? Simon Hawthorne UK 5 January 20th 04 09:59 PM