new chain... lube?

Old October 8th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Conrad

Default new chain... lube?

"Jeff Martin" wrote in
:

Bottom line is I LIKE working with my hands and WORKING ON MY BIKE.
I can't believe so many of you are all bent about how I CHOOSE to
spend my time. My family does not suffer with the time I take to keep
my bike running and looking good and clean. Other people I ride with
who never clean their bike always have a drive train that makes noise
and they

Hey, chill. Your time is your own. I'm not knocking your chain cleaning
in any way, just saying that given my situation, adopting your kind of
routine is unworkable. That, and I really don't think I can stand taking
45 mins over a chain. That said, I have ride buddies whose bikes look
like showroom pieces every ride. They're not poseurs because these guys
train hard and can ride rings around me any time of the day. I've long
suspected that they take the better part of 2 hours to spruce up their
bikes after every ride. My suspicions were confirmed during a recent
conversation with one of them. This guy degreases, cleans and waxes his
Pinarello Prince (or his Colnago C-50) after each ride. He takes 1.5
hours to do the job on the average. I suppose if I were to own a $10K
bike with all the latest carbon bling I might feel the urge to treat it
similarly.

Pachebel

--
Sig coming.
Old October 8th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Conrad" wrote in message
. 1...
"Jeff Martin" wrote in
:

Bottom line is I LIKE working with my hands and WORKING ON MY BIKE.
I can't believe so many of you are all bent about how I CHOOSE to
spend my time. My family does not suffer with the time I take to keep
my bike running and looking good and clean. Other people I ride with
who never clean their bike always have a drive train that makes noise
and they

Hey, chill. Your time is your own. I'm not knocking your chain cleaning
in any way, just saying that given my situation, adopting your kind of
routine is unworkable.

Agreed. Actually his best retort would have been to say that the time spent
cleaning his chain is likely far less than most posters waste on rb* every
day.

That, and I really don't think I can stand taking
45 mins over a chain. That said, I have ride buddies whose bikes look
like showroom pieces every ride. They're not poseurs because these guys
train hard and can ride rings around me any time of the day. I've long
suspected that they take the better part of 2 hours to spruce up their
bikes after every ride. My suspicions were confirmed during a recent
conversation with one of them. This guy degreases, cleans and waxes his
Pinarello Prince (or his Colnago C-50) after each ride. He takes 1.5
hours to do the job on the average. I suppose if I were to own a $10K
bike with all the latest carbon bling I might feel the urge to treat it
similarly.

1.5 hours of bike cleaning after each ride? How often does he ride? What
kind of emotional distress do they suffer when the new stuff comes out each
year? I mean, I know I sound sarcastic, but there is a touch of sincerity to
my questions.

Pachebel

--
Sig coming.

Old October 8th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:25:53 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

Actually his best retort would have been to say that the time spent
cleaning his chain is likely far less than most posters waste on rb* every
day.

Hahaha. So true.
Old October 8th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Jeff Martin TOP POSTED:
[...]
I live in Wisconsin and week night or after work rides are pretty much
done for the year. Only time to get out on weekends.

Bicycle lights are available.

So from now until the ground is covered with enough snow to Cross
Country Ski I'll complete the home tasks that got put off during the
summer. Then it is XC Ski season to train for the Birkie which is a
53km point to point ski race. Then another period of limbo to
complete more home project then back into bike season usually around
March or early April.[...]

I used to ride to school all year around on a road bike with minimal
tread tires, and this was back when Wisconsin actually had cold winters.

Studs.
Old October 9th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Jeff Martin TOP POSTED:
[...]
I live in Wisconsin and week night or after work rides are pretty
much done for the year. Only time to get out on weekends.

Bicycle lights are available.

So from now until the ground is covered with enough snow to Cross
Country Ski I'll complete the home tasks that got put off during the
summer. Then it is XC Ski season to train for the Birkie which is a
53km point to point ski race. Then another period of limbo to
complete more home project then back into bike season usually around
March or early April.[...]

I used to ride to school all year around on a road bike with minimal
tread tires, and this was back when Wisconsin actually had cold winters.

Studs.

Nokian or Schwalbe?

I do not know if ISO 630-mm studded tires were available in 1982-4 in
the US.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 11th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Jeff Martin TOP POSTED:
[...]
I live in Wisconsin and week night or after work rides are pretty
much done for the year. Only time to get out on weekends.

Bicycle lights are available.

So from now until the ground is covered with enough snow to Cross
Country Ski I'll complete the home tasks that got put off during the
summer. Then it is XC Ski season to train for the Birkie which is a
53km point to point ski race. Then another period of limbo to
complete more home project then back into bike season usually around
March or early April.[...]

I used to ride to school all year around on a road bike with minimal
tread tires, and this was back when Wisconsin actually had cold winters.

Studs.

Nokian or Schwalbe?

Nokian.

I do not know if ISO 630-mm studded tires were available in 1982-4 in
the US.

Probably not.
Old October 15th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pachebel

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in
:

Pinarello Prince (or his Colnago C-50) after each ride. He takes 1.5
hours to do the job on the average. I suppose if I were to own a
$10K bike with all the latest carbon bling I might feel the urge to

treat it similarly.

1.5 hours of bike cleaning after each ride? How often does he ride?
What kind of emotional distress do they suffer when the new stuff
comes out each year? I mean, I know I sound sarcastic, but there is a
touch of sincerity to my questions.

Sorry for the late followup. I somehow managed to miss your post. The
friend in question is a hardcore roadie. Does the usual local crits,
TTs, road races. Rides 4-5 times a week. He doesn't let himself reach
the point of emotional distress because he's constantly in search of and
upgrading his rides - new carbon stem/bar, lightweight brakes, lighter
saddle, new carbon hoops...the whole gamut. Takes a break for a few
months and does it all over again. I guess it's like how some women do
therapeutic shopping. But, I'd rather he spend it on his bike than
'accessorising' his car with fugly bodykits etc.

Pachebel
__

Sig coming.