Is there a water bottle adapter available to lower cage?

Old March 1st 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

Default Is there a water bottle adapter available to lower cage?

Hi:

The design of my daughter's small-sized, compact frame bike results in
the water bottle mounted on the seat tube being so close to the top
tube that she can't use the water bottle while riding. I can envision
a water bottle adapter that would solve this problem - a thin strip of
metal with holes for mounting to the water bottle bosses and with
short studs that would allow mounting of the cage lower on the frame -
but I haven't found anything like this available at any of the online
vendors.

Does such a thing exist?

TIA.

Tom Young

Old March 1st 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Diablo Scott

TomYoung wrote:
Hi:

The design of my daughter's small-sized, compact frame bike results in
the water bottle mounted on the seat tube being so close to the top
tube that she can't use the water bottle while riding. I can envision
a water bottle adapter that would solve this problem - a thin strip of
metal with holes for mounting to the water bottle bosses and with
short studs that would allow mounting of the cage lower on the frame -
but I haven't found anything like this available at any of the online
vendors.

Does such a thing exist?

TIA.

Tom Young

How about a side entry cage?
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=5011
Old March 1st 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 28 Feb 2007 16:18:31 -0800, "TomYoung" wrote:

Hi:

The design of my daughter's small-sized, compact frame bike results in
the water bottle mounted on the seat tube being so close to the top
tube that she can't use the water bottle while riding. I can envision
a water bottle adapter that would solve this problem - a thin strip of
metal with holes for mounting to the water bottle bosses and with
short studs that would allow mounting of the cage lower on the frame -
but I haven't found anything like this available at any of the online
vendors.

Does such a thing exist?

If not, it would be easy to fabricate.

A strip of aluminium; drill four holes, set two riv-nuts; done.
Old March 1st 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
KarenG

lots of luck. my 47cm trek pilot has the same problem, tho i can get a
20oz bottle there but not a 24oz. i would like to have 2-24oz bottles
to use in the summer, but guess i'll have to make do with what i have.

karen.

--
KarenG

my motivational quotes:
\"17 mph??? this ain't no 17 mph ride, this is a b pace ride, pick it
will ya?? c'mon!\" :d
\"c'mon! you didn't ride that trainer all winter to just chase me! get
on up here!\"
\"you can do *-_anything_-* for 2 minutes!\"
KarenG's Profile: http://www.trianglecycling.com/member.php?userid=6
View this thread: http://www.trianglecycling.com/showthread.php?t=18357

Old March 1st 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

wrote: If not, it would be easy to
fabricate. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or maybe you could place the upper hole on the cage mount on the lower hole
of the frame. Tighten securely, and then add a tie-wrap if needed.

Old March 1st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

TomYoung wrote:
The design of my daughter's small-sized, compact frame bike results in
the water bottle mounted on the seat tube being so close to the top
tube that she can't use the water bottle while riding. I can envision
a water bottle adapter that would solve this problem - a thin strip of
metal with holes for mounting to the water bottle bosses and with
short studs that would allow mounting of the cage lower on the frame -
but I haven't found anything like this available at any of the online
vendors.

Does such a thing exist?

Ask at your LBS for a "swing cage". They are spring-loaded to pivot
sideways when installing/removing a bottle just for instances like hers!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 1st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

The design of my daughter's small-sized, compact frame bike results in
the water bottle mounted on the seat tube being so close to the top
tube that she can't use the water bottle while riding. I can envision
a water bottle adapter that would solve this problem - a thin strip of
metal with holes for mounting to the water bottle bosses and with
short studs that would allow mounting of the cage lower on the frame -
but I haven't found anything like this available at any of the online
vendors.

Does such a thing exist?

TIA.

Tom Young

If it's just a small amount you need to lower the cage, one of the Velocity
cages might do the trick. You can adjust them significantly upward or
downward from the norm.

Or get one of the handlebar mounted bottle cages. They're very inexpensive
(Trek sells one for about $7) and work nicely on bikes where there just
isn't real estate for a bottle in the normal places.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

lots of luck. my 47cm trek pilot has the same problem, tho i can get a
20oz bottle there but not a 24oz. i would like to have 2-24oz bottles
to use in the summer, but guess i'll have to make do with what i have.

You can always use a behind-the-seat bottle carrier, as done by triathletes.
Only problem is that you no longer have a place for a seatbag (because, on a
smaller-sized frame, there's no room underneath the bottles to strap a seat
bag, without having it hit the tire).

It is a problem with smaller frames; there's just not enough real estate.
Even my son's 52cm Pilot won't take a large bottle on the seat tube.

Old March 1st 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil, Non-Squid

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
lots of luck. my 47cm trek pilot has the same problem, tho i can
get a 20oz bottle there but not a 24oz. i would like to have 2-24oz
bottles to use in the summer, but guess i'll have to make do with
what i have.

You can always use a behind-the-seat bottle carrier, as done by
triathletes. Only problem is that you no longer have a place for a
seatbag (because, on a smaller-sized frame, there's no room
underneath the bottles to strap a seat bag, without having it hit the
tire).

Not necessarily true - the newer Profile Design Aquaracks mount to the
seatpost, not to the saddle rails. This allows you to use the bottle rack
with a seat bag. That is what I did on my XS Giant.

Smaller-sized frames actually benefit from this featu the longer seatpost
allows you to slide the bottle rack down so low that you can actually get
the tire slightly in between the two bottles. The seatpost also allows the
mounting of a Topeak Mini Morph on the front side. Tools, water, pump all
mounted to the seat/seatpost for my tiny, tiny bike.

--
Phil

Old March 1st 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Or maybe you could place the upper hole on the cage mount on the lower hole
of the frame. Tighten securely, and then add a tie-wrap if needed.

Good advice. I have done this with the bottle cage using the bottom
hole in the frame and the bottom of the cage secured by a zip tie.
Works great unless your cage is really tight on the bottle. Works
really well with Cateye nylon cages that do not require a lot of
friction to hold the bottle and do not scratch frame. Light and
cheap. Only downside is they do work with large diameter polar
insulated bottles.

FA: Campy Record carbon bottle cage w/bottle, new jodi Marketplace 0 October 17th 05 12:03 AM
Giant OCR bottle cage Jon_H UK 2 July 18th 05 02:56 PM
bottle cage 'bags' Martyn Bolt UK 0 March 28th 05 09:57 AM
Shimano aero water bottle and cage. Colin Campbell Marketplace 0 November 20th 04 01:59 AM
Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest? chris General 77 July 27th 04 01:46 AM