My truck can climb steeper than yours!

Old October 11th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default My truck can climb steeper than yours!

wrote:
This is like so much MTB bluster but a bit more hazardous:

http://www.break.com/index/4x4-flips-down-mountain.html

These guys are out here to enjoy nature!

http://www.geocities.com/rayhosler/c...oastrange.html

On SUnday rides originating on my front steps, summer and winter.

this off topic drivel posted by the guy who complains that
nitroglycerin compression detonation is off topic in a compression
ignition thread. jobst, you're a ****ing hypocrite.

Old October 11th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
On Oct 8, 10:53�pm, Tom Sherman
On Oct 7, 9:36 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
aka Jobst Brandt wrote: This is like so much MTB bluster but a bit more hazardous:
http://www.break.com/index/4x4-flips-down-mountain.html
I like the way the nut behind the wheel falls out of the truck.
Roll cage and seat belt, anyone?
I can understand removing (and often have removed) the seat belt to
lean out the window and choose a line. �However, once it's time to
slip it into gear and go for it, it's best to be belted in! �A full
cage seems excessive for most off-roading. �A roll bar in the bed is
usually sufficient, if even that is necessary. �Most modern trucks can
roll at a decent velocity without crushing the passenger compartment
and driver (assuming he's properly belted in) and even with a roll bar
you're still going to crush in the roof a bit and destroy the
windshield and windows. �It looked like it may have been doable with
finesse and a low gear, but the "carry momentum, bump and jostle my
way up this" approach was a predictable failure.

Yes, a full race-truck set-up is not necessary. However, the truck in
the video appeared to have its cab crushed in to quite an extent
(granted, it appears to be a 1970's model).

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I threw the "modern" disclaimer in there for a reason. I don't
know when, but at some point somebody decided it wasn't safe to have
people driving around in cars that would crush the passengers when
flipped, and suddenly roofs became a bit structural, as well as car-
umbrellas. Being in the habit of beating on my trucks and
"boneyarding" for parts, I see my share of rolled vehicles. Even when
it looks bad from a distance, an up-close inspection usually reaveals
that the portion of the cab the passengers would have been in
(assuming they were belted) tends to be intact.

bear in mind, you only get to see the ones that are fit for boneyard
dissection. the ones with human offal scattered inside just go straight
in the crusher. i've only seen two truck rollovers in real life - on
both, the roofs caved. the bronco, that thing was a ****ing joke. the
medivac chopper flew off empty - they just loaded the pieces into the
coroners wagon - no urgency there.

I have many friends
who have walked away from rollovers, in cars and trucks. I also have
a couple friends who didn't make it to tell about their rollover, but
in both instances that come to mind they were not wearing seat belts,
and were ejected.

arguably better than decapitation. see above.

I also have a buddy who's hugely into the off-road thing, with
countless thousands of dollars and hours invested into his early 70's
truck. It's easily the most capable woods/mud machine I've ever
seen. It's also got a roll bar, and knowing this guy and how he does
his trucks, it's not there for looks.

this may not be your buddy, but so many of those guys know not the first
damned thing about basic mechanics. for instance, they rotate the rear
axle so the u/j is axial with the prop shaft. that's stupid. in order
for a u/j to work properly, i.e. to cancel angular velocity fluctuation,
the input angle and output angle have to be the same both ends -
one-ended gives you full angular velocity variation and no cancellation.
"why does my transmission make that whining noise?" and "why do my
u/j's keep failing?". duh.

My New Truck Zoot Katz General 11 October 15th 06 05:57 AM
Bike fit in a TT: why aren't frames steeper? Mike Reed Techniques 9 February 25th 06 08:27 AM
"Nobel laureate (in Economics) calls for steeper tax cuts in US" Steve Racing 223 November 7th 04 11:36 PM
Steeper than crap! vivalargo Unicycling 9 June 2nd 04 10:37 PM