1up USA trainer?

Old June 8th 05, 05:17 PM
serg

Default 1up USA trainer?

any pros? cons? the reviews i've read online at rbr and mtbr sound
almost too good to be true...

Old June 8th 05, 06:08 PM
BW

I've not read any reviews but have had mine for 2 season. It's built
well, easy to install bike at home or at a race. Quiet running. You can
change resistance level. AND, Made in USA.

Old June 8th 05, 06:23 PM
Steve Shapiro

any pros? cons? the reviews i've read online at rbr and mtbr sound
almost too good to be true...

I have one winter of use on mine and it worked fine. The heigh
adjustment is excellent. It accommodates uneven floors and it lets yo
keep the back wheel a fraction of an inch above the floor, so the bik
is almost level without shims under the front wheel. Removing o
installing the bike is fast and easy. The trainer folds up quickly fo
storage and takes little space. It is nicely made, solid, and look
nice.

It provides resistance via a centrifugal brake, so the roller does war
up in use. But, I like the feel of the resistance. It’s adjustable b
shifting the bike. Disassembling the brake mechanism and relocatin
parts can make major resistance adjustments. I did not bother. I
use, there was a small build up of tire rubber on the roller.
cleaned this off from time to time. The cleaning ritual just kep
things quieter and smoother running. By the way, I did use th
cheapest tire I could find back there. The only noise comes from th
tire on the roller so you’ll want a slick or the whine is annoying.

I went directly from an old wind machine to this one. I like it muc
better.

Stev

--
Steve Shapiro

Old June 8th 05, 07:45 PM

Very well built, as quiet as any I've heard, and wonderful customer
service. Two cons:

Resistance is adjustable, but it's a bit of a PITA. Not hard, but not
something you want to do repeatedly. There is no "on the fly"
resistance adjustment, so if you want to spin like crazy one day and
grind the next, look elsewhere.

Installing a bike is easy, but installing a second isn't. The bike
locking mechanism depends on the width of the skewer, so if one bike is
narrower than another (say, steel vs. aluminum) they won't both fit. If
you only use one bike on the trainer you'll never even notice.

The 1Up comes with a 60 day guarantee -- two months to return it and
they pay shipping. If the two features above don't sound like a
problem, give it a try. How can you go wrong?