Q: That little washer behind the knurled nut on Campy 10 rear hubs

Old May 12th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Q: That little washer behind the knurled nut on Campy 10 rear hubs

Hi!

I seem to have lost that little washer behind the knurled dropout
bearing nut that one must remove to get to the innards of Campy 10/9
hubs.

Do I need to buy a new one? What exactly is the purpose of that
washer?

Thanks -

Peter

Old May 12th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

snip bfd's response re that tiny washer

But do I really need it? Preventing some sort of dissimilar metal
contact based corrosion, perhaps?

Thanks for your response, by the way!

D'ohBoy

Old May 12th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

OK, then the question should be what's the purpose of a flat washer?
Well, if you go to Sheldon Brown you'll find:

Washer
******
A metal disc with a hole in the middle. There are several different
types of washers used on bicycles, to serve different purposes:
Flat washers are commonly used between nuts or bolt heads and the parts
that they tighten against. For most fasteners, it is desirable that the
part that is turned by the wrench or screwdriver have a washer under it
to protect the surface from the turning fastener. Flat washers are also
commonly used to spread out the load when a fastener is attached to a
thin or fragile part.

So, you need to decide if you "really" need it? If you're cheap, try
finding one at a hardware store. Otherwise, spend the $5 and get the
Campy one!

Old May 12th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:

I seem to have lost that little washer behind the knurled dropout
bearing nut that one must remove to get to the innards of Campy 10/9
hubs.

Do I need to buy a new one? What exactly is the purpose of that
washer?

I think you are talking about a washer that goes around the axel,
between the dropouts. In which case it's one of several spacers that
control the Over Locknut Distance of the hub. Did someone completely
disassemble the hub? It may just be on a different section of the axel.
Measure the OLD, if it's correct then this is what happened. (Very easy
to do) If this is the case, disassemble the hub, & using a drawing
(probably available from Campy on line) reassemble it correctly. This
is important as it will change your chain line. If the OLD is
different, & if you have a steel or Ti frame, you can get away w/o it,
but it's not optimum. It could cause the axel to brake.
If your frame is Al. or Carbon Fiber, I really wouldn't try it. You
probably can't even get the quick release to clamp the axel tight. Once
you know its exact thickness, any axel spacer of that thickness will
work. It doesn't have to be Campy. Most LBS should have it.

I hope I'm talking about the same thing, as you are, John

Old May 13th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Hi!

I seem to have lost that little washer behind the knurled dropout
bearing nut that one must remove to get to the innards of Campy 10/9
hubs.

Do I need to buy a new one? What exactly is the purpose of that
washer?

Thanks -

Peter

You're not very clear. Have a look at
http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares05_B.pdf and tell us which part to
which you're referring. The only knurled bit I'm aware of is the re-026
right axle cap that holds the freehub body in place and acts as the axle
end. I'm pretty sure there's no washer under that (see .pdf)

Robin Hubert
Old May 14th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Robin Hubert wrote:
D'ohBoy wrote:
Hi!

I seem to have lost that little washer behind the knurled dropout
bearing nut that one must remove to get to the innards of Campy 10/9
hubs.

Do I need to buy a new one? What exactly is the purpose of that
washer?

Thanks -

Peter

You're not very clear. Have a look at
http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares05_B.pdf and tell us which part to
which you're referring. The only knurled bit I'm aware of is the re-026
right axle cap that holds the freehub body in place and acts as the axle
end. I'm pretty sure there's no washer under that (see .pdf)

Robin Hubert

Thanks for playing! Robert, et. al, but I found the washer (by stepping
on it on the carpet) so an answer to the question is unnecessary.

D'ohBoy

Old May 14th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Hi!

I seem to have lost that little washer behind the knurled dropout
bearing nut that one must remove to get to the innards of Campy 10/9
hubs.

Do I need to buy a new one? What exactly is the purpose of that
washer?

Thanks -

Peter

FH-RE-121 indeed and it is like any washer, to help to ensure the nut
stays tight...go to a hardware store for one or see any place that 'qui
si parla Campagnolo.