Campy front derailleur won't shift

Old April 11th 04, 11:18 PM
Mike Lackey

Default Campy front derailleur won't shift

Folks, I've got a really strange problem. I've got a Centaur front
derailleur that won't push the chain onto the big ring.

Forget the limit adjusting screw, forget adjusting the cable. Problem is
that with the limit screw completely counter-clockwise, and the cable
disconnected, I cannot physically move the derailleur (with my hand) far
enough. There's just not enough travel in the dang thing to move the cage
over the big ring. Which means either (a) the derailleur is mounted too far
in, or (b) the crankset is mounted too far out, or (c) maybe a little of
both.

Here are the pertinent details. First, the frame is a Calfee, with an
oversize seat tube. The derailleur is a Centaur braze-on type mounted with
one of those clamp-on adapter do-bobs.

Question #1: is anybody out there using a Centaur braze-on front derailleur
with an adapter thingy on a bike that has an oversize seat tube? I wonder
if this setup places the derailleur too close to the seat tube initially?

Next, the bottom bracket is the cheaper Centaur/Veloce type, English thread,
while the crankset is Chorus. Just eyeballing the bottom bracket, it looks
like bottom bracket extends out a bit farther than "normal", pushing the
crankset out just a bit farther.... which leads to....

Question #2: Can any of you Campy gurus tell me if the axle length of a
Centaur/Veloce bottom bracket is longer than axle length of a Chorus bottom
bracket?

I'm also wondering if perhaps it's a combination of a bottom bracket that is
a bit wider than ususal, and the Centaur crankset is designed to make up for
this by moving the chainrings in a bit closer. By placing a Chorus crankset
on this bottom bracket, the chainrings have moved out a bit farther than
normal.

Question #3: Can any of you Campy gurus tell me if a Chorus crankset and a
Centaur crankset would place the chainrings in the same position, given that
the bottom bracket is not changed?

I could spend yet MORE money to but a Chorus bottom bracket and buy a
genuine clamp-on front derailleur, but I've already spent enough on this
"project", and I'd really like to try and use what I've already paid for.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

Old April 12th 04, 03:48 AM
A Muzi

Mike Lackey wrote:

[...]

Look at your chainline. Your crank is out there!
Your ACH BB is 111 (or 115)mm wide, Chorus cranks want a 102.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old April 12th 04, 04:52 AM
bfd

"A Muzi" wrote in message
Mike Lackey wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have an older Carbonframes tetra custom that requires an italian
threaded bottom bracket. I use an older Edco Competition bb that has a 116mm
wide spindle with a Record 9 crankset 51x39 and C-Record ft der. Works
perfectly.

Question #2: Can any of you Campy gurus tell me if the axle length of a
Centaur/Veloce bottom bracket is longer than axle length of a Chorus

bottom
bracket?

I'm also wondering if perhaps it's a combination of a bottom bracket

that is
a bit wider than ususal, and the Centaur crankset is designed to make up

for
this by moving the chainrings in a bit closer. By placing a Chorus

crankset
on this bottom bracket, the chainrings have moved out a bit farther than
normal.

For me, I use the wide 70x116 Edco bb because anything narrower will cause
my inner chainring to touch the chainstay.

Question #3: Can any of you Campy gurus tell me if a Chorus crankset

and a
Centaur crankset would place the chainrings in the same position, given

that
the bottom bracket is not changed?

I could spend yet MORE money to but a Chorus bottom bracket and buy a
genuine clamp-on front derailleur, but I've already spent enough on this
"project", and I'd really like to try and use what I've already paid

for.

Look at your chainline. Your crank is out there!
Your ACH BB is 111 (or 115)mm wide, Chorus cranks want a 102.

I agree, check the chainline. The crank on my bike is *out there*, but it
works.

Old April 12th 04, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mr blutarsky- Folks, I've got a really strange problem. I've got a Centaur
front
derailleur that won't push the chain onto the big ring. BRBR
I cannot physically move the derailleur (with my hand) far
enough. BRBR

Next, the bottom bracket is the cheaper Centaur/Veloce type, English thread,
while the crankset is Chorus BRBR

Your problem. Use a Campagnolo 102mm, english threaded BB, either Record or
Chorus. Not the 111mm BB.

Mr-
Question #3: Can any of you Campy gurus tell me if a Chorus crankset and a
Centaur crankset would place the chainrings in the same position, given that
the bottom bracket is not changed? BRBR

With the proper BB-102 for Record and Chorus, 111 for all others, the rings
will be in the same place. ya gotta match the crank/BB-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 12th 04, 03:25 PM
Russell Seaton

As everyone else has already noted, you need either a
Centaur/Veloce/Mirage crankset to go on your AC-H
Centaur/Veloce/Mirage bottom bracket, or a Chorus/Record bottom
bracket to go with your Chorus crankset.

I use a 111mm AC-H Centaur bottom bracket and Centaur triple crankset
on a 31.8mm seattube. Not the longer 115 mm bottom bracket. And
clamp on Shimano 105 triple front derailleur.

About the bottom brackets. The AC-H Centaur bottom brackets, 111mm
and 115mm, are symmetrical. Same spindle length sticking out both
sides of the bottom bracket shell. The Chorus/Record bottom brackets
are asymmetrical. There is less spindle sticking out the drive side.
I think. Or maybe its the other way.

Old April 13th 04, 02:02 AM
Mike Lackey

Thanks to all who've replied. It's (painfully) obvious I've got a
mismatched crankset and bottom bracket.

Dangit!

Mike Lackey
Madision, AL

Old April 13th 04, 02:05 PM
Paul Kopit

Chorus uses a 102 ISO bb and Centaur and Veloce use 111.