Poland 'can jail drunk cyclists' - BBC

Old April 11th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

Default Poland 'can jail drunk cyclists' - BBC

I don't know how long this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/
7994857.stm) is good for.

Cyclists found to be drunk are serving an average of almost a year in
jail

[A judge] argued that intoxicated cyclists should be treated like
drunken pedestrians, who face a fine rather than jail, as both use
their own muscles to achieve motion.

The Constitutional Court, however, ruled that cyclists use public
roads and are considerably more dangerous because of the speed they
can travel.
Old April 11th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cully J

On Apr 11, 9:52*am, Brian Huntley wrote:
I don't know how long this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/
7994857.stm) is good for.

Cyclists found to be drunk are serving an average of almost a year in
jail

[A judge] *argued that intoxicated cyclists should be treated like
drunken pedestrians, who face a fine rather than jail, as both use
their own muscles to achieve motion.

The Constitutional Court, however, ruled that cyclists use public
roads and are considerably more dangerous because of the speed they
can travel.

This is totally ridiculous. I'd say there's A LOT more danger in
driving drunk than there is cycling drunk.

According to the link "Many courts here apply the stricter penalty and
the average sentence is 11.5 months imprisonment. "

They call this almost draconian. I call it TOTALLY draconian.

Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old April 11th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Cully J wrote:

The Constitutional Court, however, ruled that cyclists use public
roads and are considerably more dangerous because of the speed they
can travel.

This is totally ridiculous. I'd say there's A LOT more danger in
driving drunk than there is cycling drunk.

According to the link "Many courts here apply the stricter penalty and
the average sentence is 11.5 months imprisonment. "

They call this almost draconian. I call it TOTALLY draconian.

Does anyone know if there are stats on people being hurt by people
CUI (cycling under the influence)? I think that even if a drunk cyclist
hit a pedestrian, the general lower velocity and definitely lower mass
of the cyclist would reduce the injury potential.

Bill

__o | Roads aren't for cars. They're for people.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old April 11th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cully J

On Apr 11, 3:40*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * writes:

Cully J wrote:

The Constitutional Court, however, ruled that cyclists use public
roads and are considerably more dangerous because of the speed they
can travel.

This is totally ridiculous. I'd say there's A LOT more danger in
driving drunk than there is cycling drunk.

According to the link "Many courts here apply the stricter penalty and
the average sentence is 11.5 months imprisonment. "

They call this almost draconian. I call it TOTALLY draconian.

* * Does anyone know if there are stats on people being hurt by people
CUI (cycling under the influence)? *I think that even if a drunk cyclist
hit a pedestrian, the general lower velocity and definitely lower mass
of the cyclist would reduce the injury potential.

I can't imagine a drunk rider getting far enough (or staying
on the bike long enough) to cause any trouble, except perhaps
to himself. *Seems to me drunk riding would have its own
built-in penalty.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

You're absolutely right, Tom. Instead of having breathalyzers, police
should test suspected drunk drivers by carrying bike, and challenging
them to ride it.

I hope the penalty for drunk cycling is far less than drunk driving.
FAR less!!!

Cullen
Old April 12th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 11, 1:40*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Tom is right on here
Old April 13th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

* * * * writes:

Cully J wrote:

[...]

Make 'em shoulder-check while track-standing!

If they can ride away from the cops, they were
innocent all along. I'd hope they'd eventually
return the bike, though. Including a "thank you"
card with the returned bike would be a nice touch.

cheers,
Tom

Is Ricco still in jail? Nobody Racing 4 July 30th 08 07:30 AM
Is Ricco still in jail? Frank Drackman Racing 0 July 30th 08 05:14 AM
Shocking moment drunk driver ploughs into group of cyclists. Doug[_3_] UK 50 June 9th 08 08:49 AM
Cops Disgusted; Drunk Kills Two Cross-Country Cyclists Ken [NY) Social Issues 6 December 1st 05 04:03 AM
A better article about Alan Liu and Jill Mason (cyclists struck by drunk driver Easter Sunday) Marian Goldeen General 2 April 14th 04 11:51 PM