Diet

Old October 31st 12, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Diet

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:44:31 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

On 31/10/2012 16:26, PhilO wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:15:40 PM UTC, Judith wrote:

Judith, have you posted here using more than ten different names?

Will you answer?

I do not know.

You don't know if you will answer, or you don't know if you have used more than ten names?

Why are you so averse to answering a simple question?

Judith may have caught wrigglitus from Cwispie or DavidR

I hope not. Does it not only affect those with a low IQ and self-esteem?

Old October 31st 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 31 Oct, 13:23, Justin wrote/quotes:

by Josh Horowitz

* * * * * * * * First, I want to thank everyone for sending me their goals. They
are now posted at LiquidFitness.com. OK, on to the Pistachio diet, and
a different way of looking at nutrition labels, eating, and weight
control based on glycemic index.

I've been aware of that for quite a number of years and how the GI
attached to a particular food is modified in the presence of other
foods, specifically fats and protein, whether soluble or insoluble.

Pistachios are only one part of this diet but I chose the name because
pistachios have in them all of the major components of the foods that
I will be recommending. Pistachios have one of the highest dietary
FIBER counts of any nut. Pistachios are stacked with PROTEIN,
specifically the amino acid arganine, a pre-curser to nitric oxide, a
vasodilator which may mean better blood flow during exercise.
Pistachios are loaded with heart healthy unsaturated FAT which has
been proven to reduce blood cholesterol levels and lower the risk of
heart disease.

Lowered cholesterol levels seems to indicate a higher risk from
injury.

Pistachios also have about half the CALORIES of other
nuts. Perhaps most importantly to this particular diet, they are
extremely low on the GLYCEMIC INDEX.

Yeah but whole fruits contain soluble protein and goodly amounts of
good carbohydrate and water and minerals.

Finally, pistachios usually come
with the shell on so which discourages you from eating too many and
the empty shells serve as a visual reminder of how much you have
eaten. To top it all off you even burn some calories in the process of
un-shelling!

When my belly is full I stop eating fruit. It worked when I was a
child and it's been working this last 8 weeks for me.

And did I mention they taste really good?

Fruit is really tasty, there are so many varieties.

For those of you who have been reading my articles the last 7 years,
you might have noticed that diet is not a subject I have approached.
Up until a few years ago, diet was not much of a concern to me. No
matter what I ate, how much I ate or when I ate it, I noticed little
or no effect on my weight or energy level.

Yep I was like that at least up to 24yo

Since I never like to write
on a subject unless I can add at least some small unique personal
perspective to what is commonly known, I have since abstained.

same here

Then around age 30, I experienced a sudden shift in body chemistry. I
gained 10 lbs seemingly overnight and no matter what I ate or how few
calories I consumed, the dial on the scale would not budge. Still
extremely lean by civilian standards, the excess weight pretty much
took me out of the running for pro level racing.

I put on 14lbs and was upset about it because I knew it signified a
disturbance to health but I could not place the cause.

After two full seasons of struggle, trying different types of diets
with no success, I figured out the big mystery. I changed my diet and
lost the weight in a matter of two weeks. It was amazing. I had
perhaps discovered the perfect cyclists diet! I did not significantly
reduce my caloric intake. I did not lose significant muscle mass. I
had improved energy levels and endurance. Perfect right? A great diet
for weight loss but also effective for anyone striving to improve
their cycling performance.

And yet I was still reluctant to write about it. Without the
credentials to back me up, I knew the physician portion of my
readership with the red pens would be after me with a vengeance for
anything I said that flew in the face of established scientific data.

Oh deary me, lets not upset them on suits and white coats they might
spill their rain-forest coffee-lattes and then where would we be
without a cleaner to hand?.

So I had to do something that I absolutely hate to do. Research! I
quickly found that there is some science to back up my concepts. Other
diets such as Atkins, Sugar Busters and even the diet recommended for
diabetics have a lot of the tenants of the program that had worked so
well for me. What I will do now is take the elements of these diets
that would work for a cyclist and create one master plan that would be
simple and easy for you to follow. Hence, The Pistachio Diet.

Only what's one man's meat is another's poison.

Here we go. Doctors, get out your red pens!

The idea that cutting out 500 calories a day for one week will result
in the loss of one pound does not work for a serious athlete like a
cyclist.

I only ever gained weight as an athletic cyclist, but this was muscle
mass.

I looked for data to back me up on this statement but to tell the
truth there is none except for what most of my clients and probably
many of you reading can attest to. Ask any doctor, dietician or
nutritionist around the world and they will tell you that this formula
is hard scientific fact. There are 3500 calories in a pound and 500
calories times 7 days equals one pound. However, many of you have
discovered that weight loss, especially while training seriously, is
not always that easy.

Caloric type is important. non-soluble fibre not only kicks in an
immune response should it pass through the gut wall which diverts
energy, it provides no useful calories despite it's calorific content.

The Pistachio Diet is not so much about how much you consume but about
how your body reacts to the types of food you eat. A finely tuned
cyclists’ body has a very different ways of processing 500 calories of
sugar than 500 calories of protein. If you were to consume 500
calories of table sugar or a simple carbohydrate such as white rice,
white potato or white bread, the insulin response is triggered. Any

Eat whole fruits not refined sugar and flour.

sugar that is not immediately used will be stored as fat. However

Also like alcohol, refined sugar is taxing on one's liver. The
metabolic pathways to process sugar are the same as to process
alcohol. It is generally a poor energy source although there are
exceptions for racing.

foods like pistachios which are high in fiber, protein and fat trigger

Fibre is protein.

almost no insulin response, therefore excess calories are less likely
to be converted into fat. In addition, cyclists’ bodies are finely
tuned and tend to adjust quickly to adjustments in caloric intake.
Reduce calories by 500 and the body slows down its metabolism and
burns 550 less calories. A pre-historic safety valve for preventing
starvation.

With good foods, I agree.

Gotta get those carbs
Pistachios, nuts and other protein rich foods are an important part of
this plan but the thing I found lacking in the other diets was a good
recommendation for carbohydrates. Cyclists need to eat lots of carbs

Yes, so eat whole fruit, there's protein in there too.

and in general, they should not deprive themselves in this department.
By choosing the right carbohydrates you can actually consume less
calories and have more energy and even lose weight if that is your
goal.

it's generally termed bio-availability IIRC

I am recommending you stick to carbohydrates that are very low on the
Glycemic Index. The Glycemic index (GI) is a scale used to measure the
body’s insulin response to different types of food. In the above
example, white bread or sugar would have a very high Glycemic value
whereas the Glycemic value of a pistachio is almost non existent.

Forget the book, just eat raw whole fruit when available plus some
fats for when one cannot manage on a belly-full of fruit.

Foods that are low on the GI have the added advantage of serving as
long lasting energy sources. We’ve all experienced the post sugar-rush
bonk after eating a bowl of white rice or a gel.

Not here, but then I've not eaten rice alone and I've not gone in for
gels. They have their place, in racing.

You get that quick
burst of energy, but very shortly the sugar is used up and the fuel
gauge goes to empty.

I have however seen it in others during high power training rides.
They would have the burst of power for perhaps 20 minutes then be
wiped out at the roadside.

Quick burning simple carbohydrates are important
for short efforts but for a longer lasting source of energy, choose
foods that are low on the GI

Whole fruits are good.

Foods that have a low GI are generally higher in protein, fiber and
even fat because these things slows down digestion.

Whole fruits are good.

Fiber - Look for foods that are high in dietary fiber. Fiber slows
down the absorption rate. Usually, the higher the fiber content of a
food, the lower it ranks on the GI. Not only is this important for
digestion and energy but fiber is also very filling so you can eat
less and still feel full. It has also been shown to reduce the risks
of some types of cancer.

Whole fruits are good.

Protein – You will also be looking for foods high in protein. I wish I
could make the claim that you could eat protein till the cows come
home (and then eat the cows) without gaining weight but the doctors
out there won’t let me.

There is not an unlimited ability to process protein, it is correct
IME to limit it.

However, it is my experience that if you are
striving to lose weight and you really need to eat something to feed
your grumbling tummy, you are much better off eating a protein than a
carbohydrate, especially if it is replacing a simple, high GI
carbohydrate.

Grumbling tummy? - drink spring-water and have a pooh. Eat fruit to
make the onset of bowel evacuation expeditious. Eat mire fruit and
veg to combat the acidosis, which could well be in part caused by this
recommended high protein diet.

Fat – Eat lots of healthy unsaturated fat! Fats are more calorically

Animal fats are good as are nut oils and butter, ignore this
unsaturated fats mumbo-jumbo, it leads to the consumption of dangerous
hot pressed grain and seed oils which require de-odourising to
disguise their rancidity IIRC.

dense than carbs or protein so they are the first thing to get knocked
out of most weight loss diet plans. However, since fat does not
trigger the insulin response, it seems logical that eating fat does
not necessarily make you fat.

Don't eat rancid fats.

Fat can also be used for energy. Although you will want a simple
carbohydrate for those short intense efforts, on your next long
endurance ride, try replacing your energy gel with a bag of
pistachios. It takes some getting used to but you can actually train
your body to burn fat for energy efficiently.

Rich (butter,almond fllour and eggs) fruit cake has long been a staple
food for the nature-loving (outdoorsy) Briton.

I mentioned above that I tried a number of diets before I arrived at
this one. The least effective diet I tried was one extremely low in
fat.

Ill-advisable fir anything much over 2 hours.

Not only was I hungry all the time but I was constantly bonking
on my rides and even with a significant calorie reduction for several
weeks I actually ended up gaining weight. Unless you have a heart
condition or your doctor recommends it, I don’t suggest a diet low in
healthy fats.

bread/wheat is generally bad for those with heart failure.

The rules
Obviously you want to avoid eating high GI foods. I like to keep to
foods under 30 if possible. This means avoiding potatoes, rice, white
bread, white pasta and bagels.

My dogs all loved to eat potato skins. It's the only good part in
them.

You can find a good data base atwww.GlycemicIndex.combut since not every food is listed, use these
guidelines for choosing the foods you eat on the pistachio diet. It
may be difficult but if you look hard enough, you can find breads,
pastas and chips that adhere to these rules.

I wouldn't bother with any processed food. Man has flourished on God-
given foods, don't spoil it by messing with grains which have to be
ground and tarted up to imitate real food. Some seeds/grains should
only be consumed after a natural fermentation. If you cannot eat it
au naturel, should you really be eating it? Given the choice I eat
fruit.

Count your sugar
My rule of thumb is that I don’t eat anything that has more than 2
grams of sugar per serving. By this I don’t mean all carbohydrates,
just simple sugars like glucose, sucrose, corn syrup, etc.. Since

Sometimes I just need my cup of coffee in the morning to get me
started, today was one such day and there is probably at least 2 tsp
of demerera goes into that with double cream. This is the only time I
have sugar and seems acceptable as it is folliowing a 12 hour fast,
typically. This drink stimulates bile release and warms me up when
required. I'll be glad when I can go without it for a couple of
weeks.

serving sizes vary so I usually look at in terms of a ratio. Taking
100 calories as the jumping off point for a serving size, this means
that the number of calories from sugar should equal 8 in that serving
(each gram of sugar = 4 calories). So if a serving is 200 calories,
then there should be a ceiling of 16 calories from simple sugars.

Duh, I'm not up to this part of thinking, thinking is overated. It's
odd as I scored 100% for arithmetic tests and 92% and over for
mathematics at school and college. I was well-trained and was
certainly getting pushed into commerce at least up to 20. I resisted
because I found value in art, nature and practical work. I enjioyed
riding my bike and eating too.

This is probably the toughest part of the diet simply because there is
sugar added to so many foods that would otherwise be healthy. What

I believe the author is still confused between God-given foods and
commercial products designed to extract as much wealth from one with
little outlay. I buy food, not card and pretty pictures (or
advertising). If they need TV to sell a lifestyle, it isn't a worthy
food.

makes it even more difficult is the fact that foods with a high fiber
content often have even more sugar added to them to compensate for the
change in taste and texture. Items like whole grain breads and healthy
natural cereals often have ludicrous amounts of sugar added to them.

Absolutely stay away from whole-grain wheat products, the flecks in
the flour mix undergo no fermentation in commercial practice. These
flecks puncture the gut wall and lead to debilitating illness with
wheat allergy.

My best advice is to ignore packaging that says things like whole
grains, high in fiber or heart healthy and go straight to the
nutrition label to see for yourself.

Duh, if it needs a label, it's a commercial product dressed up with
lies to make it appear as if it is food. See the label, it's a
warning, "THIS IS A PRODUCT OF COMMERCE - here are the toxins that
legislation insists we list and some are hidden which are under the
threshold we set". It gives the producer a legislative loophole
should later, some individual or group decide they want compensation
for injuries caused. The seller, producer and distributor can all
claim they acted within official guidelines and feel absolved from
responsibility.

Count the fiber
It’s not enough to avoid sugar because as you will see from the GI,

Eat whole fruits, eat while vegetables, there is enough fibre, there
is enough protein from soluble fibre.

many foods that don’t technically have sugar in them have a high GI.
For instance, pure glucose which represents the ultimate value of 100
on the scale is only 3 points higher than a white potato. Since

It's white, there's your warning. Eat the skin and leave the flesh.

protein and fiber effectively lowers the GI of otherwise simple
carbohydrates, these are the next two things I look for. My goal with
fiber is a minimum of 5 grams per 100 calories. It’s a somewhat
arbitrary number but it was the best I could realistically find in off
the shelf foods.

I prefer my foods out of the ground or off the tree.

Count the protein

Accountancy is at the core of commerce and taxation. It should bear
no relevance to eating food. Eat real food, stuff that you can pull
from the ground or tree. FFS a man with a bicycle can go to the
woods and find food, its not an ad-mans imagery.

OK, the last step of the process is to look for foods high in protein.
Besides the above mentioned effect protein has on absorption, it is
also essential to recovery and muscle building. I look for foods that
have at least 5 grams of protein for every 100 calories.

Head to the market
Now you are ready to go shopping! Stockpile a couple weeks worth of
these kinds of foods and get into a new eating habit.

Huh, ripe fruit rarely lasts more than 3 days. Fresh raw fruit needs
replenishing at least 3 times a fortnight. I find it difficult to
manage to work a full week of ripe fruit. Remember it should be tree-
ripened, not never-ripen at home ********.

What you should
find is that you can eat less while feeling fuller and having plenty
of energy to ride. If weight loss is your goal, very slowly reduce the
calories you consume until you start to notice an impact on your
training. Then bump it back up just a bit.

Health is my goal. I'm eating as much fruit as I desire, I'm eating
offal, pork rind, cream and butter. and the scales are certainly not
rising despite loads of fruit and fat. I'm eating no rancid oils and
no wheat and little meat flesh or other cereals. My body is cleansing
itself of deposited protein and minerals in my flesh. There is pain
at the healing sites, twitching along my lymphatic ducts and pain and
gurgling in my belly as the process cycles through the day. when this
healing occurs I assist with water.

And while all you doctors are marking up my work with your red pens,
the rest of you, enjoy your weight loss!

Old October 31st 12, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 31 Oct, 13:31, Justin wrote:
On 31 okt, 00:35, thirty-six wrote:

On 30 Oct, 21:49, Justin wrote:

On Oct 30, 10:35*pm, thirty-six wrote:

On 30 Oct, 16:31, Justin wrote:

Recent research is suggesting that endurance athletes increase their
consumption of protein and reduce their carbohydrate intake. Several
professional teams have followed this advice. Has anyone got any
information regarding the evaluation of this experiment?

Rather vague innit?

proteins stimulate the endocrine system but create lymphatic
congestion. *There are alternate legitimate ways to stimulate
hormones, including sex, massage, sunlight, heat and herbal tonics
(possibly even an alcohol shot). *Fats are essential for endurance and
this is what is likely behind carb loading. *Poor carbs are worse than
no carbs and carb loading should be done with colourful fruit and veg.

What I read certainly discredited carb loading and advised against the
eccessive use of carbs

For hormone transport, fatty acids are required in the blood. *This is
accomplished by eating natural fats or eating good carbohydrate to
"excess". My nose and ears get oily.
Without an abundance of fatty acid, specific protein ingestion cannot
be utilised effectively and it still shows a relatively low energy
balance upon utilization and still causes acidosis wthout even
thinking about the acids released due to the specific muscle
contraction.. *Without high and mantained fatty-acid levels I just
dont see it. *Perhaps you could direct me to the article .

alance the key to maintaining body fuel

Correct fuelling can be the difference between a good ride and a
disastrous one. We know what foods are good for us, and which we
should avoid, but do we know how much of the good stuff we should be
eating?

Kate Percy, sports nutritionist and author of Go Faster Food, says,
"Cyclists should aim for a diet that consists of around 60 percent
carbohydrate – the main source of fuel for energy, 20 percent protein
– for muscle strength and repair, and 20 percent from fats – sticking
to unsaturated fats to promote cardiovascular health."

The calorie count should be high enough to balance what you're using,
and you should try not to consume 'empty' calories such as fizzy
drinks, sweets and alcohol that won't help fuel your training.

Dietician Renee McGregor suggests the easiest way to achieve this is
to fill a 10-inch plate in thirds. "A third of starchy food, a third
of lean meat or fish, and a third of salad or vegetables," she says.

Although the balance of the diet will remain the same for most
athletes, portion sizes will vary according to the rider's size and
energy requirement. "As long as snacks and meals are healthy, varied
and balanced, cyclists should, within reason, let their bodies dictate
how much they eat," says Percy. Regular consumption is also a
necessity, starting with the food you eat in the morning.

"There is definite truth in the saying that breakfast is the most
important meal of the day," says McGregor. "By missing breakfast you
aren't 'waking up' your metabolism from its overnight resting level.
So when you do finally have something to eat you will be burning it up
at a lower rate than if you had taken on board some vital nutrition on
waking."

Morning meals that work well include muesli or porridge and wholegrain
toast. "Oats and grains are excellent at releasing sugar into the
blood slowly," says McGregor, "and so will keep you going until
lunch."

The calorie count of your meals should be split fairly evenly across
breakfast, lunch and your evening meal, but the highest carbohydrate
quantity should come in the meals that follow training sessions in
order to replenish lost resources. In the days leading up to an event,
when nutrition is of utmost importance, you should shift your dietary
balance to incorporate more carbohydrate for more muscle fuel.

"In the 24-48 hours that lead up to a race or a sportive, a cyclist
could benefit from an even steeper ratio of 70 percent carbohydrate,
20 percent protein and 10 percent fat," advises McGregor. "This will
ensure that as much muscle fuel as possible is available on the event
day."

Sample menu: Cod in parsley sauce

A meal of white fish with parsley sauce, boiled new potatoes,
broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn, with rice pudding for dessert, breaks
down into about 60 percent carbohydrate, 25 percent protein and 15
percent fat, and contains 590cals (plus 250 for pudding) – the ideal
balance for a healthy cyclist.

* 115g of white fish (cod): 119cal, 25.8g protein, 1g fat, 0g
carbohydrate, 0g fibre.
* 90g of parsley sauce: 88cal, 3g protein, 6.9g fat, 7g carbohydrate,
0.2g fibre.
* Four medium-sized boiled new potatoes (180g): 135cals, 3g protein,
0.5g fat, 30g carbohydrate, 2.8g fibre.
* 1tbsp olive oil: 119cals, 0g protein, 13g fat, 0g carbohydrate, 0g
fibre.
* 80g of broccoli: 27cal, 2g protein, 0.3g fat, 5.6g carbohydrate,
2.6g fibre.
* 80g of carrots: 27cal, 0.6g protein, 0.2g fat, 6.4g carbohydrate,
2.3g fibre.
* 70g of sweetcorn: 79cal, 2.3g protein, 0.8g fat, 15.5g carbohydrate,
1.4g fibre.
* 100g of rice pudding: 250cal, 10g protein, 5g fat, 44g carbohydrate,
0g fibre.

Alternatives:

* Meat/fish: Skinless chicken or turkey breast, oily fish (sardines),
prawns, poached eggs, tofu.
* Starchy foods: Pasta, wholewheat spaghetti, lentils, baked sweet
potato, wholegrain bread, long grain brown rice.
* Vegetables: Bell pepper, rocket, red onion, boiled spinach, avocado,
tomato.

Calorie Counting

To get your portion sizes right you need to know how many calories
you're using.

1 Determine your base metabolic rate (BMR). Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x
weight in lb) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years).
Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in lb) + (4.7 x height in inches) –
(4.7 x age in years).

2 Multiply your BMR by the level of activity closest to what you do.
Sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2. Lightly active (light
exercise/sports 1-3 days a week): BMR x 1.375. Moderately active
(moderate exercise/ sports 3-5 days a week): BMR x 1.55. Very active
(hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725. Extra active
(very hard exercise/sports every day and physical job): BMR x 1.9.

Related articles

Don't fall into the accountants trap.
Old October 31st 12, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 30 Oct, 16:31, Justin wrote:

[...]

Elite cyclists are extremely dedicated to their training plans.
Surprisingly enough many of these same athletes don’t treat nutrition
with similar importance. However in the big picture the combination of
proper training and a sound sports nutrition plan is the key to
success. Together they are powerful. Even Radio Shack’s own Chris
Horner will admit that switching his Big Mac Combo in for healthier
nutrition choices has helped him to rocket up the mountains in 2011!

Ed Note: We are very happy to welcome Anne Guzman to the Toolbox crew.
Besides being Canadian (eh?), Anne is a registered holistic and sports
nutritionist with a degree in kinesiology. She also backs up this
knowledge with experience as a professional road racer from 2007-2011.
If you're interested in supporting your training with a solid
foundation of nutrition, read on! First note to self, go easy on the
frits at Euro CX races!

By Anne Guzman

A good nutrition plan includes proper amounts of each macronutrient
(protein, carbohydrates, fat). Athletes need to fuel their training
and to give their bodies these nutrients to perform, repair and
recover properly. On top of this an athlete needs also to think about
their overall general health, which includes a strong immune system.

One area that I find is still largely misunderstood even though well
studied is the area of protein for endurance athletes. Most of my
clients come to me with nutrition regimes that include too much
protein and fat and not enough carbohydrates (their main fuel source).
There is this fear that we need MORE protein, but in reality, excess
doesn’t benefit the endurance athlete.

Research indicates that endurance athlete should consume a diet of
approximately 55%-60% carbohydrates, 20-25% fats and 15-20% protein
(1). This clearly has some flexibility and we need to also consider
grams of carbohydrates per kg of bodyweight as well as percentages
when making a detailed plan. Also some endurance athletes, such as
Kenyan marathon runners, have reported consuming up to 70%
carbohydrate diets.

However, with the billion dollar diet industry pushing Lower
Carbohydrate and Zone-esque like diets, some athletes still seem to
have jumped onto the higher protein, lower carbohydrate bandwagon.
Whether it is in an attempt to lose weight or simply because media has
led them to believe this is what they need to lose weight, it is a
mistake. Although we do need protein, it is not the endurance
athlete’s fuel of choice. These diets are a recipe for disaster for
the endurance athlete.

The bottom line for endurance athletes is that carbohydrates and fats
are the necessary fuels for energy. In the sports nutrition community
carbohydrates are often said to have a “protein sparing effect.” What
this refers to is that we should eat approximately 55-60%
carbohydrates in order to spare the protein for its routine uses in
the body. Protein is required to make antibodies for the immune
system; it builds tissues (hair, nails, skin, and muscle) and amino
acids make enzymes and hormones. Protein is also required to make
hemoglobin which is needed to transport oxygen to the exercising
muscles.

If we do not eat enough carbohydrates, we will have to break down
protein within body tissues as a source of fuel. This is very
inefficient. When the body has to resort to protein for fuel it will
rob the body of protein needed for its many important uses noted
above. Protein has a slow gastric emptying rate (stays in the stomach
longer) and therefore is not the food of choice while on the bike
either (although protein in small quantities in sports drinks is still
up for debate).

What is important to remember is that protein is NOT a big source of
fuel during exercise. Even if you consume more, this will not change.
“Based on nitrogen balance it can be estimated that protein
contributes about 5%-15% to energy expenditure at rest. During
exercise, in relative terms more amino acids may be oxidized. In
relative terms, however, protein as a fuel is not important because of
the much greater increase of carbohydrate and fat oxidation, which are
your main fuel sources during exercise. Therefore, during prolonged
exercise the relative contribution of protein to energy expenditure is
usually much lower than it is at rest, usually well BELOW 5%! In
extreme conditions when carbohydrate availability is limited this can
rise to 10%” (1). Therefore you can see why endurance athletes will
not benefit from higher than recommended protein diets.

The recommended daily intake of protein for the average person is 0.8
g/kg body weight. For endurance athletes, the recommended intake is
1.2 to 1.8 g/kg body weight. Studies show that endurance athletes need
1.2-1.4 g/kg body weight to maintain nitrogen balance. Excess protein
will not help cyclists perform optimally. In fact excess protein is
simply stored as extra calories as fat.

There are two schools of thought. Some researchers believe there is no
need to increase protein more than the average person, 0.8 g/kg. The
other school recommends the range mentioned above, 1.2-1.8 g/kg. One
interesting observation scientists have made is that training seems to
have a protein sparing effect in that the better trained an athlete
is, the less protein oxidation occurs (2). This again supports that we
do not require excess protein in the diet and may be fine with the
amounts recommended to the general population of 0.8 g/kg. I believe
that different individuals can succeed with different ratios of
protein and for the most part athletes are not having any troubles
meeting the bare minimum. Personally I’d aim for between 1.2-1.8 g/kg.
If your immune system is consistently strong and your overall health
is excellent and you are within the above ranges, you are on the right
track. But why leave anything to chance if your goal is to be a
champion?

As athletes the timing of your protein intake is crucial. For example
post-workout protein intake in combination with high glycemic
carbohydrates can increase protein synthesis. The timing is important
here and you need to consume the meal within the first hours post-
training. Studies suggest that ingesting 6-10 grams of protein post
workout in combination with the proper amount of carbohydrates for
your weight/kg is enough for optimal protein synthesis.

The type of protein is also important. Whey protein for example is
easily digested and superior to soy protein. It also makes for a
simple post workout option in a smoothie. By combining carbohydrates
and protein you not only refuel your glycogen with the carbohydrates,
but they also create an optimal environment for absorption of amino
acids. “Increased availability of glucose and amino acids also results
in increased plasma glucose concentrations, which in turn may cause a
reduction in protein breakdown and a small increase in protein
synthesis.” (2)

Chances are you are already eating protein within the endurance
athlete recommended range of 1.2-1.8 g/kg. Even Tour de France
athletes whose diets have been closely followed (some eating 7000-9000
calories a day) are able to meet their protein needs simply due to the
increase in overall caloric intake. As noted above we tend to forget
that almost all foods have some protein in them. Generally speaking
there is a linear relationship between energy intake and protein
intake and if you are matching your energy expenditure for the day you
should not have to add protein supplements to your diet. Having said
this whey protein powders are often used for convenience and for their
easy digestion. I personally have most of my athletes having some type
of smoothie on most days of the week as it is an easy way to get a lot
of nutrients.

The bottom line is that protein is necessary for the active athlete,
but more is not necessarily better. Get the timing right, get the
grams per kg right and journal your nutrition for a few days so that
you can be sure you are consuming the proper amount for your diet. Or
hire a professional Sports Nutritionist to do the work for you.

I know you will get your hours in on the bike this week, but will you
refuel your tank with the right fuels in the proper amounts to get the
most return from those hard training hours? If you want to have the
most powerful 2012 yet, the answer to this question should be a
resounding YES!

References

1. * * *Ryan, Monique. Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes-Second
Edition. Velo Press, March 2007
2. * * *Jeukenrup, Asker. Gleeson, Michael. Sport Nutrition-Second Edition.
Champaign, IL; Versa Press, 2010.

About Anne:
Anne Guzman is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Sports Nutrition
Consultant with a degree in Kinesiology. Her passion lies in Sports
Nutrition for endurance athletes. Anne raced full time on the women's
Professional circuit in North America with some bouts in Europe from
2007 until 2011 and previous to cycling was a Provincial and CIAU
Champion and National Bronze medalist as a Varsity Freestyle Wrestler.
Currently Anne continued focus is on working with endurance athletes
to help them reach their potential by combining their own training
plans with her nutrition plans. Anne believes that many athletes
undermine their intense detailed training regimes by not backing them
with sound nutrition plans. Her personal experience as a cyclist is a
great asset to her business as she understands the needs and nuances
that come with the sport.
Currently Anne works for Peaks Coaching Group as well as her own
businesswww.nutritionsolutionsanneguzman.com.

I'm still eating the whole raw fruits until I'm satiated. I continue
to do so while my urine is getting rid if the excess protein and
minerals. I'll continue this regime generally until (if not forever)
at least I am pain-free fir 24hours, I cannot feel the lymph nodes in
my arms, jaw and neck and my skin upon my arms pinches down to 2mm.
I'll continue until my skin remains consistently blemish-free, my eyes
remain clear and I can run up and down the stairs ten times without
gasping. I can't be bothered with accountancy, it's taxing whichever
way one looks at it.
Old November 1st 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:39:23 PM UTC, Judith in England wrote:

No it isn't. I have used the following:

So you do admit to using multiple identities here after all.

Why the wriggling on the way to this?
Old November 1st 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 01:42:46 -0700 (PDT), PhilO wrote:

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:39:23 PM UTC, Judith in England wrote:

No it isn't. I have used the following:

So you do admit to using multiple identities here after all.

Have I ever denied it?

Why the wriggling on the way to this?

I was just trying to show what a stupid **** you are.

I was *very* successful.

Old November 1st 12, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 01/11/2012 04:42, PhilO wrote:

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:39:23 PM UTC, Judith in England wrote:

No it isn't. I have used the following:

So you do admit to using multiple identities here after all.
Why the wriggling on the way to this?

They look rather as though they're basically the same identity, with
different email addresses (possibly for different accounts).

Lots of us have done similar things, for various reasons; it hardly
counts as identity-disguise.
Old November 1st 12, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:51:47 PM UTC, jnugent wrote:

They look rather as though they're basically the same identity, with
different email addresses (possibly for different accounts).

Lots of us have done similar things, for various reasons; it hardly
counts as identity-disguise.

Yes, but Judith has also posted under totally false identities, haven't you Judith?

Let's see if Judith can manage this simple yes/no question:

Judith, have you ever posted here under a false name?

Old November 1st 12, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Justin[_3_]

On Nov 1, 4:21*pm, PhilO is a useless **** wrote:
On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 05:57:19 -0700 (PDT), PhilO wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:51:47 PM UTC, jnugent wrote:

They look rather as though they're basically the same identity, with
different email addresses (possibly for different accounts).

Lots of us have done similar things, for various reasons; it hardly
counts as identity-disguise.

Yes, but Judith has also posted under totally false identities, haven't you Judith?

Let's see if Judith can manage this simple yes/no question:

Judith, have you ever posted here under a false name?

never

Lying again. It's pathological.

DX seat on a diet skrobo Unicycling 0 December 26th 06 12:12 AM
Diet Coker!!! GizmoDuck Unicycling 56 September 10th 06 04:27 PM
Diet Coker!!! forrestunifreak Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:52 AM
Diet Coker!!! unicyclepa Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:51 AM
Biker's Diet ackfugue Techniques 34 July 14th 06 11:23 PM