Newbie's problems

Old May 22nd 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Newbie's problems

I am REALLY having trouble on my unicycle; I can idle quite a bit
(15secs or so); but as soon as i pedal, when my cranks are 12/30, I
fall off. Getting on my nerves now; any suggestions?

Also, when you guys do trials (I know, I have seen you from behind the
bushes- yes, that is me!)- you all stand up right on the pedals, and
hop. Would practising standing up help me now? Or should I just worry
about rolling?

Thanks- you must get asked this all the time. I am 36 going on 21, but
this makes me feel 96!

Simon

Old May 23rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

are you saying you learned to idle before you learned to actually ride?
if that is the case i would just say keep practicing

--
The Bruiser

lvl 3 unicyclist, move out the way haha
Muni
MUni
ni
The Bruiser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11352

Old May 23rd 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i've been riding for almost a year now and i can't idle! still, if
you're new, just get so you can ride in your sleep. as soon as you've
accomplished that, standing up should be NO problem. as for the idling,
i can't help you. just practice, i suppose. you will need to stand up
to jump, though or you're going to be in some serious pain. it will
come naturally though.

-EDIT- oh, and for the 12/30 problem, try leaning forward. it should
make you pedal forward naturally. otherwise, make sure all your weight
is on the seat and pedal away! keep at it, you'll get it.

--
unitoon

Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
Unisteve

unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

Old May 23rd 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you might also want to pedal faster, i have tried to teach some people
and a lot of times they just arent pedaling fast enough, i mean dont go
really fast just keep moving

Old May 23rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

12\30? is that having the cranks vertical? If so, that's a dead spot,
just keep practicing and you'll get better and your problem will go
away. =p

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave
me alone about it!~*~

'*!Gallery!*' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

Old May 23rd 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

OK; I will keep trying; I will return! By the sounds of it, idleing is
harder than riding- which must give me confidence.

1 more question- seat high or low?

Simon

Old May 23rd 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Simon

That's quite ironic; when I got my uni at xmas, I thought you had to
learn idling 1st. It was only when I did a bit of research on the
Internet that I found out how you did it.

I taught someone to ride recently, and he had spent a lot of time
indoors in a doorway, semi-idling. Outside, when he tried to go
anywhere, he did exactly what you describe - pedals would stop at 12:30
and off he'd come. He'd learned the balance but not the 'spinning'.
Maybe a psychological thing too.

The good news is, when I held his hand and walked alongside him he
rapidly learned the right motion. Maybe 1 hour in a couple of sessions,
he was bombing about unaided. Do you have someone you could call on?

Seat wants to be at a height that allows your leg to be slightly bent
when the crank's at its lowest point.

Stick with it - sounds like you've done the hard part!

John

--
icon
icon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11481

Old May 23rd 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

the seat should be a down to the point that when u hop it doesnt come up
and touch ur 'ass' as such but not to low so u cna ride comfortably
with out to much strain in ur legs.

--
tomtrevor

wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old May 23rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Thanks! I will practise, practise practise- and be back to let you know
my progress!

Thanks again!

Simon

Old May 23rd 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

tomtrevor wrote:
the seat should be a down to the point that when u hop it doesnt come up
and touch ur 'ass' as such but not to low so u cna ride comfortably
with out to much strain in ur legs.

Huh? Never heard that one before, nor do I understand what he means.
Seat height should have your leg extension the same as on a bike. In
other words, high.

Getting past the dead spot is a matter of making circles with your
feet, not simply pushing down. It's one of those "humps" you have to
get over in early riding. Just push through it and concentrate on
rolling, rather than walking.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Handling problems: indexed headset at fault? [email protected] Techniques 11 April 19th 06 02:20 AM
Continuing problems William O'Hara Techniques 12 April 4th 06 07:22 PM
Presta Problems -Sorted! Jay UK 0 January 22nd 06 04:23 PM
Gallery Problems litldude2 Unicycling 6 April 22nd 05 05:44 AM
anyone else had problems with xpedia? gary.bartram*removethisbit*@lineone.net UK 20 October 9th 03 05:49 PM