Used Tubular Tires

Old July 30th 03, 02:56 AM
Philip W. Moore , Jr.

Default Used Tubular Tires

I need some used spare racing tubular tires or used training quality used
tubular tires. I just got into this tubular stuff, so I don't want to
invest in new tires if I don't have to do so.

Please let me know what you have and what you expect for what you have.

Thanks,

Philip W. Moore, Jr.
Plano, Texas

Old July 30th 03, 01:53 PM
jjpsych

Just some unsolicited advice from someone that uses tubies. I would
not make my 1st experience with tubies any harder by using used tires.
IMO, new tires are easier to glue and mount than used tires.
Typically, the only time I mount a used tire is a roadside spare (the
extra glue helps there)

Get some inexpensive training tires (Vittoria Ralley, or Conti Giro,
both are about $20-$30 each, mount them on a clean rim with NO GLUE to
stretch for a day or two (I usually inflate them to about 120 psi).
Then, follow the directions on the Park tool website for mounting.
(Hint, Use the vittoria clear cement, not Fas-tac because it's more
forgiving in the initial mounting, and easier to peel off when you
need to). Don't get discouraged if glue gets on the spokes or braking
surface, this can be corrected with a Q-tip, a rag and some acetone
(but BE CAREFUL with acetone around the base tape of the tubular)

then again, that's just my $0.02